PDA

View Full Version : I hate skunks

crymson
02-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Coming home tonight I had a skunk jump out in front of me. All I can say is next time I'm just going to hit the damn thing. Sorry for the blurry pictures, between the phone camera and my hand shaking from adrenaline...

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/3/3/2/3/img_20130218_205657.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/3/3/2/3/img_20130218_205708.jpg

MCcelica
02-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Could be worse.

Murgatroy
02-19-2013, 01:26 PM
I don't know, I hit a skunk once, it took nearly a month before my car didn't stick anymore.

That would be a hard choice for me. But not hard enough that I would cause a wreck.

I hope everyone involved is ok.

Hookecho
02-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Ok. This is #3. I can drive my car now.

Lonestag
02-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Yeah, that sucks but at least you only got the bumper.

4thgenceli
02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm with Murg. I'd rather deal with a scratched bumper than skunk on the car. I've run them over a few times, it took weeks before the stench was out of my car. They smell better dead than alive.

Hookecho
02-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Y'all are silly. I would hit the damn skunk rather than pay for body work. Most vehicles have the ground clearance to avoid squishing it. Of all the skunks I've rolled over none have been able to tighten their sphincter before the "thump thump" is over. I guess there is that chance of busting its ass wide open and slinging it into the undercarriage. The smell goes away for free though once you rinse and repeat. Then let it air out for a couple of weeks.

Of course, it is human nature to avoid collision with anything in the road. Unless you're a redneck.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Of course, it is human nature to avoid collision with anything in the road. Unless you're a redneck.

My first driving lesson was in applying the brakes hard. I was gunning down a skunk in the family station wagon and almost got my ass handed to me by my angry father.

I'll avoid hitting animals at slow speed if possible. Otherwise, most results are funny. I full decapitated a raccoon. I went back to check and I had sheared it's masked head clean off.

The desert is good too. I mowed down 4 suicidal squirrels on the same road in Utah within 500 feet. Also, at night, you can enjoy the sounds of kangaroo rats thunking on tires for hours.

Lonestag
02-19-2013, 09:08 PM
I try minor evasive action when possible, but on most WV roads, you would still hit the animal even if you threw the car off the road.

MCcelica
02-19-2013, 09:13 PM
I was 17. Easter day. I still had my 5th gen. Rabbit comes bolting out from the side of the road up the street from my parents old house. I hit that Easter bunny so hard, it was still spinning in mid air by the time I saw it in the rear view mirror.

Then it landed, and a cat swooped in to pick it up before I even had time to get the idea to turn around and look.

I told the kitty, "Happy Easter bunny dinner" and drove off.

rizin
02-20-2013, 01:44 AM
I will hit anything small. I have learned to let off the brakes right before hitting somethings so the nose is not dove down it likes to take lips off. Driving hwy 40 in cali a lot was mainly jack rabbits and coyotes when I was younger.

crymson
02-20-2013, 02:18 AM
Well, I hit a peacock in a pickup once. It took me most of the next day to get all of it out of/off of the truck. Plus my house mate's gf just had really bad run in with a skunk about a month ago (its a really funny story about rednecks, or would be if she hadn't been at our place reaking of skunk), so that awful smell is still fresh in my mind. Fortunately it was late on a country road so I was the only one there, and just skimmed the guard rail, so no injuries and no angry second party. The worst of it's that the bumper has a nice new tear across all of the mounting holes for the front license plate, and in Oregon you have to have the front license plate on the front of the car, so not only does it need paint but I also gotta find someone to fix that, and get another one of those mounting brackets, sigh.

MCcelica
02-20-2013, 07:29 AM
I will hit anything small. I have learned to let off the brakes right before hitting somethings so the nose is not dove down it likes to take lips off. Driving hwy 40 in cali a lot was mainly jack rabbits and coyotes when I was younger.

Stuffed objects on Colorado roadways are my nemesis. A teddy bear ripped the lip on my 7th gen a while back, and I decimated a big blue chair in my pop's Taco... Then later on I found a truck a little ways up the road that had a big blue couch and a broken tie-down in the bed. I made sure to give 'em a whole hearted finger.

Once I got out to check the Taco, I soon realized that I couldn't tell the difference between before/after chair decimation.

KoreanJoey
02-20-2013, 05:33 PM
I think I've hit somewhere in the range of 15-20 birds over the last decade.

MrWOT
02-21-2013, 04:56 PM
I took out a turkey just a couple weeks ago....

Pool Station Road, San Andreas, CA (http://pool station rd.). 55mph? Whoever rated that road at that speed limit never drove it that fast. :hehe:

Damn thing ran out into the road and I hit it so hard it sailed off into the woods. The thought of wrecking to avoid it never crossed my mind.

edit: link doesn't work, punch it into google maps.

No damage to the car.

Doowstados
02-27-2013, 04:20 AM
I'm with Hook, I've hit one once. No smell.