PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the 22r

85gtsblackman
02-18-2013, 07:51 AM
So I'm ready to start bringing the truck back 2 life. Basically it has a bhg but it burnt oil like hell. My plans are to get the head fixed or use a spare I have, hone the cylinders and re-ring it. Any ideas how to go about this. I have a basic plan but I like helpful insite

bleST
02-19-2013, 05:14 AM
If you check out the truck section at TN they have a lot of info. I would put a new timing set in with steel-backed guides, amongst other tricks to make them a little better. Also, if your existing timing chain guide(s) are broken off and the chain has worn into the timing cover, check the worn area thoroughly for holes.

85gtsblackman
02-19-2013, 05:44 AM
Sorry I was a lil smashed when I posted or messing with mushrooms, I forgot. Anyhow, I put a new timing set n oil pump in the motor, as well as a cam and a weber carb, it pulled great just smoked, plus the turbo radiator had a blockage in it that caused the bhg. The motor has maybe 130k on it and was resealed.

Demz
02-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Spit on it and push harder, 22Rs don't die. Unless my roommate gets one.

I'm not sure what your looking for, change hg, change the rings, and what else you looking at?

MCcelica
02-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Biggest tip for me was to spend those few extra minutes to get your mating surfaces clean. If you think it's clean, it's not.

KoreanJoey
02-22-2013, 08:31 AM
valve stem seals, drop the pan and make sure the pickup is clean. If the old timing guides were chewed up they can sometimes leave a lot of plastic in the bottom of the pan that can clog the pickup.