PDA

View Full Version : Transmission leaking pretty bad

matteo80
02-15-2013, 11:15 PM
The n00bs at one of those drive through oil change places overfilled my transmission and now it's leaking pretty bad from the bottom (I didn't notice for about 4 days that it was overfilled). I don't have time to empty it out and replace the gasket and I don't know if that is the only thing wrong with it (bad pan gasket) I think it is... Anything I should know in case the garage tries to gouge me? It's running fine, last day it started stalling at stop signs, the fluid was really really low, leaking even faster than it was before. I filled it up and it's running fine.
Cheers

93celicaconv
02-16-2013, 11:14 PM
It would be very unusual for a transmission to leak fluid just because it was overfilled. Other things can go wrong, but rarely will the transmission leak. Did you have the transmission filter changed when you had service done to it? If so, then the new pan gasket may not have been installed properly.

Did you have transmission fluid service done, or just an oil change?

Doowstados
02-18-2013, 04:16 AM
Ill assume this is an automatic. Before you take it to a shop just try tightening the bolts around the pan a bit - not too tight. Also, make sure your plug is tightened. Not many other places on the automatic for it to leak apart from the axle seals.

Galcobar
02-18-2013, 04:36 AM
It would be very unusual for a transmission to leak fluid just because it was overfilled. Other things can go wrong, but rarely will the transmission leak. Did you have the transmission filter changed when you had service done to it? If so, then the new pan gasket may not have been installed properly.

Especially since it's not a gasket -- well, not in the sense of an installable piece. The transmission pan is sealed with orange FIPG.

Nitro_Alltrac
02-18-2013, 04:58 AM
Well it's supposed to be FIPG. IF the pan was dropped, the oil change place may have used a gasket instead.

Doowstados
02-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Gaskets work fine if you get a quality one.

93celicaconv
02-18-2013, 11:30 PM
My experience has been most lube shops purchase a filter kit from an auto parts store, and most all of those come with a rubber gasket, and they use that because they don't have the time in their pricing to properly prepare for an FIPG material. And I agree, on transmissions at least, most gaskets that come with replacement filters/strainers for automatic transmissions hold up pretty well. Maybe not as long as OEM FIPG, but normally they don't leak immediately, unless they weren't installed carefully and something got folded over and isn't where it should be.

matteo80
02-20-2013, 02:06 AM
Thanks everyone. They used a rubber gasket.. I tightened the bolts a little but I've taken it in now, everything down there is drenched in oils and fluids.. I'm leaking oil as well, probably a bad gasket there too on the pan. I don't think the oil change place did the work well, I'll have to start going somewhere else.

Yeah, car is automatic about 125k on her. I've had the transmission fluid switched out fairly regularly, maybe not as much as I'm supposed to but not too far off.