PDA

View Full Version : 1990 GT-S Needs brake diagnosis

GT-Steezy
02-13-2013, 05:03 AM
Since I bought my car my rear passenger brake has not worked at all. I don't know where to start in diagnosing brake problems. It's the stock rotor and caliper. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance. :)

grimmythereaper
02-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Is ur brake lite on? I ask bc u may be low on brake fluid and if that is the case u may have a hole in the brake line. Or the piston is stuck.

93celicaconv
02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Since I bought my car my rear passenger brake has not worked at all. I don't know where to start in diagnosing brake problems. It's the stock rotor and caliper. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance. :)

We don't know how long ago you bought your car, but will assume you've been driving a fairly long time and are aware of no rear passenger side brake. If this is the cause, you likely aren't loosing brake fluid (but you need to verify this) otherwise you would have lost all brakes over time, not just one all the time.

If your brake fluid reservoir is full, it would crack open the bleed valve on that rear passenger side caliper (with a hose on the nipple going to a container) and have someone slowly step on the brake pedal a few times to see if you have a good flow of brake fluid coming out. If you do, I would replace your caliper assembly (as your caliper piston likely froze up). If you have do not have a good flow of brake fluid coming out, you likey have a clog in the brake line somewhere caused by internal corrosion (perhaps because the brake fluid wasn't serviced properly by being flushed out and replaced every 2-3 years). If the latter, it will be a more significant undertaking to find where the clog is and what conidtion all your brake lines are in.

GT-Steezy
02-13-2013, 03:22 PM
My ABS light has been on. But nothing else has been effected. I've been driving it for about a year and 4 months. My apologies for lack of information. I will report back with progress hopefully

93celicaconv
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
My ABS light has been on. But nothing else has been effected. I've been driving it for about a year and 4 months. My apologies for lack of information. I will report back with progress hopefully

Wow, got ABS on a 1990. But, ABS should not affect getting pressure to one of the 4 brake calipers, even if the ABS light is on, but the ABS body could be clogged for the wheel that doesn't operate. I think you can pull codes from the ABS module to find out why it set the ABS light. Have you done that yet? It's possible your ABS light being on is related to your problem, the more I think about it.

GT-Steezy
02-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Wow, got ABS on a 1990. But, ABS should not affect getting pressure to one of the 4 brake calipers, even if the ABS light is on, but the ABS body could be clogged for the wheel that doesn't operate. I think you can pull codes from the ABS module to find out why it set the ABS light. Have you done that yet? It's possible your ABS light being on is related to your problem, the more I think about it.

Havent done anything yet. Damn Ohio and its moody weather. Can't ever get anything started, let alone done. Unless you have the magical thing called a garage.

93celicaconv
02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Heated garage at that!

Hipster Lawrence
02-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Stuck caliper slide/piston or blocked brake hose is the only thing that will make just one caliper stick.