PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting the Battery Without Locking System 10

Facime
02-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Before pulling the battery so I could pull the motor, I wanted to ensure that I didnt lose access to the system 10 deck. I dont have the code and just didnt want to have to deal with it so I used a motorcycle battery and a couple jumper wires to provide a source of power to the head unit. The red wire with the silver bands is constant (+) and the white wire with no stripe is the ground. Simply strip back some insulation, add power source, then disconnect the battery up front. I reversed the connections after a couple minutes to double check it was going to work and the head unit works fine.

(the extra clamps is my battery tender)
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/858277_504806859558703_1510773206_o.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/859623_504806872892035_915235268_o.jpg

underscore
02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to unplug the amp and stick wires into the amp side of the plug?

Facime
02-12-2013, 08:38 PM
From my understanding of the system 10 wiring, Power goes from the battery to the amp (larger plug on right), then through the amp to the head unit. If you unplug the amp you effectively kill power to the head unit and activate security. I could have tapped the wires going into the amp, but I didnt for no particular reason.

Also, one could probably tap the fuse block to supply power to the circuit for the head unit but again, I didnt want to risk losing power trying to work around a fuse. This seemed like a simple straight forward way to do it, and in my case I was pulling the seats out anyway for carpet cleaning.

It was kind wierd last night I wanted to roll the shell out of the shop to clean under the hood and when I opened the door and put the key in, the door chime went off and the "open door" light on the dash came on. Its kinda spooky when that happens with no battery under the hood.

Murgatroy
02-13-2013, 05:07 AM
Talk about parasitic drain...

I suppose it makes perfect sense, after all they have jump boxes that power the car though the cigarette lighter now. Introduce power anywhere in the system and it feeds all systems.

NYTEPSYCE
05-30-2013, 02:04 AM
i'VE HAD TO DISCONNECT MY BATTERY MANY TIMES AND HAVE NEVER HAD MY SYSTEM 10 RESET ON ME. I MUST HAVE DONE IT AT LEAST 5 TIMES AND I KNOW THAT MY MECHANIC HAS DONE IT MANY TIMES OVER THE YEARS.

Shadowlife25
05-30-2013, 02:59 AM
i'VE HAD TO DISCONNECT MY BATTERY MANY TIMES AND HAVE NEVER HAD MY SYSTEM 10 RESET ON ME. I MUST HAVE DONE IT AT LEAST 5 TIMES AND I KNOW THAT MY MECHANIC HAS DONE IT MANY TIMES OVER THE YEARS.

UMAD? (Just messing with you since it appears your caps lock is on)

Also, the SYSTEM 10 will not activate the security unless the HU is removed. Consider how silly it would be for a dealer to have to constantly issue unlock codes assuming you have the original pin anytime a car battery died or the vehicle needed servicing. ;)

I do applaud you for your solution though.

NYTEPSYCE
06-01-2013, 03:07 AM
Not sure even if that applies. Just got a used System Ten on Ebay, went ahead a got the security code for it on line, but when I installed it it was ok, didn't have to put a code in. Now when I bought a replacment a couple of year ago, I did have to put a code in. Also I have removed the head unit several times and never had to enter a code when putting it back. Mystery to me.