PDA

View Full Version : My 1991 Celica Build..

Possumface
02-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Well here is my 1991 Toyota celica STX 1.6L i got for 700 bucks.
has 138k on the clock 5 speed! Its all around a great car.
I wanted to start a build page for better MPG's, performance, and reliability,
So far I have put a new fuel pump,fuel filter, plugs and wires and a new DC sports exhaust.
here is a list of stuff I will do to it and I plan on keeping it forever.
Headers,turbo/supercharger, new paint job, tint my windows, new rims and tires, maybe a body kit(unsure yet),
I would like all the info/advice I can get on helping me. Thanks yall

4thgenceli
02-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Welcome!

You have the 4afe motor. Before you do serious work on the motor I would suggest to upgrade the suspension and handling aspects of the car first. Header, intake and exhaust will help to free up a couple ponies but with the 4afe you're not going to really achieve that much with the OOTB configuration. You can swap in the 4age or 4agze motor with not much additional work (wiring is it). The 3sgte is a very popular turbo swap that people do. You'd have to redo the motor mounting points in the bay (members here have done this swap a few times).

Possumface
02-13-2013, 03:43 AM
Yes i agree I do need new struts so im looking into new upgraded coil overs or racing shocks, but a motor swap is gonna be out of the question this is my daily driver, so maybe whenever this engine dies which will prob be another 10+years haha my old 90 celica blew up at 569k miles and never rebuilt. and im at 138k now so i got a long way to go, but im not looking to build a 3sec car, just something nice and quick.

Physlis
02-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Welcome!

Suspension and braking is definitely where you should start. Make better use of the power you have and it'll make the drive more fun and reliable. All I've done for motor work (along with most guys here) is the basic intake/header/exhaust mods along with what you've done. From my own experience, if you're replacing the swaybar or struts, replace the endlinks as well. Best bet is to just do them all at one time. Strut tower braces will help as well and a set can be had for as little as $30 on eBay (search for Dodge Neon front, Ford Probe rear and redrill a few holes).

Possumface
02-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Now i just bought a new cold air intake from the AutoZone and well it sounds so bad like air sucking (i dont really care to hear that while driving) do they all do this or maybe I need an actual kit?
Id like to get some more MPG's before I start with the turbo's and all that.
Second note can anyone tell me were I can find some rims like this? they were stock alloys on my 90 stx and there 14s but i like the style and tires I can get a whole set for 200.

Possumface
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
gonna be doing my clutch,front struts,cv axles here in the next month any advice on parts?
would like a upgraded clutch (reasonably priced) and some nice shocks for the hard turns I take at 50mph haha

4thgenceli
02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Now i just bought a new cold air intake from the AutoZone and well it sounds so bad like air sucking (i dont really care to hear that while driving) do they all do this or maybe I need an actual kit?
Id like to get some more MPG's before I start with the turbo's and all that.

That's what you'll get when you do a ram intake or CAI without a resonator. You think that's loud? You should hear mine. 4" intake pipe about 24" long to a cone filter on the end. If you don't like the sound replace the stock setup and install a K&N air filter.

gonna be doing my clutch,front struts,cv axles here in the next month any advice on parts?
would like a upgraded clutch (reasonably priced) and some nice shocks for the hard turns I take at 50mph haha

Personally, I'd do all 4 struts at the same time. Good OEM replacements are KYB GR-2 units. You could also look into Neon strut bars and upgrading your sway bar. Upgraded clutch really won't do you much good if you're on the stock motor (unless it's worn and slipping).

Possumface
02-22-2013, 07:11 PM
ive already put my stock box on, what is a resgnatior? i didnt see that when I was putting that on.
And i think my clutch is going I feel it loose and i think it may go in the near future and while im at it ill do my CV joints and struts (i need them bad) but i will look and see what I find thanks!
and is it a hydrological clutch?

Physlis
02-22-2013, 08:19 PM
ive already put my stock box on, what is a resgnatior? i didnt see that when I was putting that on.
Resonator. It's that little box that hangs on the intake pipe, helps to baffle the airflow and reduce noise. There's also an in-line resonator as part of most exhaust systems FYI.

and is it a hydrological clutch?
Hydraulic clutch, and yes.

Possumface
02-23-2013, 11:48 AM
do you happen to have a picture of it? i tried to google it but came up with the cat.

Physlis
02-23-2013, 05:16 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/1/0/0/sdc11626.jpg

This is the only one I have, it's the little black box next to the air filter and fuses. Beware though, if your intake is cracked like mine was, they want $80 for a replacement because of extra tube to attach the resonator to.

Ghost
02-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Welcome!

Suspension and braking is definitely where you should start. Make better use of the power you have and it'll make the drive more fun and reliable. All I've done for motor work (along with most guys here) is the basic intake/header/exhaust mods along with what you've done. From my own experience, if you're replacing the swaybar or struts, replace the endlinks as well. Best bet is to just do them all at one time. Strut tower braces will help as well and a set can be had for as little as $30 on eBay (search for Dodge Neon front, Ford Probe rear and redrill a few holes).

rims in the pic are rota slipstreams or knock off.

Possumface
02-23-2013, 10:15 PM
here is some pics of the car I finally got some, this is before I started buffing it and cleaning the outside
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/964399/fullsize/djdjd.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/964400/fullsize/kskldslk.jpg

Physlis
02-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Nice, haven't seen one that shade of blue before.

Possumface
03-03-2013, 07:35 PM
thanks im gonna get it repainted burgundy red, with some nice rota slipstreams,
but before i get it painted I wanna put a a body kit on the car, any good ones you guys recomend? ive seen a few good ones on CARID.com i liked, ive never done one so it should be interesting haha.

Physlis
03-04-2013, 12:42 AM
I used to have the 'Vader kit on mine, I took it off because it started to fall apart. My only recomendation is don't use rivets unless you intend to fill them, my driver's side rocker is rusting out because of trapped water that went through them.

Possumface
03-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Sorry guys I havent been on here been on the other site too much lol, but here is some new upgrades I got for my celica..tires and rims alot better than the hub caps.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/970540/fullsize/rims.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/970539/fullsize/rims2.jpg

pintoBC_3sgte
03-23-2013, 04:21 AM
Cool. What rims are they?

Possumface
03-23-2013, 04:25 AM
to be honest I am not sure, id have to look at them. But there cool and I needed some new tires and i got on a payment plan for them cause im poor and couldnt afford 800 for new rims and tires.

Possumface
04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/972984/fullsize/etee.jpg
working on trying to fix the cooling fan issue..
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/972986/fullsize/intake.jpg
what goes in here?? i think its missing something i hear a vacum leak so i pluged it up with a small rubber seal.

muscle_bound89@Live.com
07-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Paint job lol

muscle_bound89@Live.com
07-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Either find an all trac or GT4 hood and bumper set up. can order them from lithia toyota of springfield.
Keep it JDM as possible.

And the zyclone lip kit is the only way i would go. bodykits for these cars look too ricer.