PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

archerthr
01-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey everyone,

My car recently started boiling over, it's a 1992 GT. I changed the thermostat and radiator, however the car continued to overheat, boiling over with rusty coolant. (I'm guessing the previous owner used water instead of coolant) The top radiator hose was very hot, however the fan neglected to turn on as the lower hose was only warm, while the bottom of the radiator remained relatively cool. Suspecting the water pump, I took the timing belt off and after inspection noted the pump had been recently changed along with the timing belt. Could this issue be a head gasket? The coolant is only rusty, and there is no coolant in the oil. There is no white smoke out of the tail pipe either. Car runs great despite the overheating.

Thanks,
-Kyle

Galcobar
01-30-2013, 10:53 PM
If the thermostat (you can test this) and water pump are working, but the temperature of the hoses stays distinct I would guess at a plugged radiator.

However, you said you changed the radiator. When you changed the radiator and thermostat, did you flush the engine block and heater core? It's as simple as sticking a garden hose in the upper opening (the outlet) and having a catch-can at the bottom opening (the inlet).

UtahSleeper
01-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Flushing and burpping the cooling system would be a good start. Does the fan ever kick on? At some point when idling it should fire up.

bzdweezy
01-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Are you getting hot air when you turn the heater on?

Also if you disconnect the temp sensor on the radiator the fans should turn on

archerthr
02-02-2013, 02:51 AM
Thanks everyone- turns out it was a bad radiator from autozone. The system wasn't pressurizing. Flushed the system and replaced the rad; good as new!

93celicaconv
02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks everyone- turns out it was a bad radiator from autozone. The system wasn't pressurizing. Flushed the system and replaced the rad; good as new!

What was bad about the previous new AutoZone radiator?

joe's gt
02-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Umm, unless your radiator was actually leaking externally, which you did not mention, it is nearly impossible for your radiator to not pressurize. Only a bad cap would cause that. The only thing I could possibly see happening is installing a new radiator and not flushing the system and the new radiator getting clogged with all the current contaminants in your coolant system provided there were no signs of external leakage.

KoreanJoey
02-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Or it was a crappy radiator that had a kink in it or something to that effect.

celica9303
02-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Autozone....... need I say more?

archerthr
02-04-2013, 05:12 AM
Yeah turns out the cap they gave me did not seal the radiator properly, resulting in the system to leak out of the overflow hose regardless of temperature. This was the result of a defect in the plastic opening of the radiator. You could squeeze on the upper hose when the car was cold and coolant would come out of the overflow.

archerthr
02-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Umm, unless your radiator was actually leaking externally, which you did not mention, it is nearly impossible for your radiator to not pressurize. Only a bad cap would cause that. The only thing I could possibly see happening is installing a new radiator and not flushing the system and the new radiator getting clogged with all the current contaminants in your coolant system provided there were no signs of external leakage.
Also I disagree, a crack anywhere in the radiator due to poor manufacturing would prevent the system from pressurizing.

Galcobar
02-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Also I disagree, a crack anywhere in the radiator due to poor manufacturing would prevent the system from pressurizing.

A crack such as you describe would create an external leak.