PDA

View Full Version : Another month another failure

4thgenceli
01-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Two months after I get it on the road, I'm going down again.

What the fuck.

buffalohunter7321
01-29-2013, 03:08 AM
I KNOW the feeling

4thgenceli
01-29-2013, 03:37 AM
Maybe someone has better news than what I think happened.

Engine off:
Shifts through the gears as normal with or without the clutch

Engine on:
Hard to get into gears from time to time. Sometimes it's fine, other times it won't go in and I need to try a second time.

It's a bit easier to shift when the transmission is hot (it's not real easy when cold I've noticed).

I just drove out to pick up some glasses. Started the car up no problem. Let it idle for a few minutes. Out of habit I shift 4-5-pause-R. I engage clutch again to shift to reverse in that order. Unable to get into 4th gear. I can hear the RPM go down a bit as I'm trying 4th. I disengage the clutch, re-engage and can shift 4-5-pause-R. Driving down the road it gives me the stubborn cold shift. Occasionally the clutch doesn't keep up with me during up-shifting. 2nd-3rd gear is almost impossible if I don't find the perfect point. Double clutching seems to help, as does engaging the clutch, waiting a second, shifting, then dis-engaging the clutch (basically letting the RPM come down a bit). When coming to a stop (say from 4th gear, 45mph) I'd let off the gas, engage the clutch and apply the brake. I could feel the car still trying to move forward as if I was still in gear.

I couldn't tell if it was one of the clutch cylinders or what. Driving down an empty road I gave it some boost. It would 'stutter' from time to time about every half second. VROO-sput-OOOO-sput-OOOO This happens consistently in any gear (it doesn't happen when I'm gently driving it, no hard pulls, no boost just easy gentle acceleration). To me, that's indicative of a slipping clutch. As I'm typing this the clutch pedal does have a different feel (engagement point seems to of changed, different travel, feedback, force required, etc).

Fuck.

celica9303
01-29-2013, 03:49 AM
Sounds like what happened to mine, throwout bearing is going bad. I was to the point I couldn't get out of 1st with out forcing it. My car is still waiting for new parts.

joe's gt
01-29-2013, 05:03 AM
Not necessarily a slipping clutch but a clutch that is not disengaging properly. Could be any number of things. Any clutch fluid leaking externally from the slave? Could possibly be an internal master cylinder leak where fluid levels all seem normal. Sounds to me like air is either in the line or getting in the line and not allowing the clutch to engage and disengage properly. I would just bleed it by hooking up a hose to the bleeder valve, submerging the hose in brake fluid, and pumping the brake fluid through until there is no air in the line. If the symptoms come back or don't get better, I would bet one of your cylinders is bad.

If your throwout bearing was bad it should be accompanied by an obnoxious noise.

MrWOT
01-29-2013, 05:14 AM
throwout bearing is going bad.

:stupid:

It's not always accompianied by noise.

MCcelica
01-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Not necessarily a slipping clutch but a clutch that is not disengaging properly. Could be any number of things. Any clutch fluid leaking externally from the slave? Could possibly be an internal master cylinder leak where fluid levels all seem normal. Sounds to me like air is either in the line or getting in the line and not allowing the clutch to engage and disengage properly. I would just bleed it by hooking up a hose to the bleeder valve, submerging the hose in brake fluid, and pumping the brake fluid through until there is no air in the line. If the symptoms come back or don't get better, I would bet one of your cylinders is bad.

I would say don't rule this out, though.

4thgenceli
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Funny that you two mention that. This morning after my early morning bowel movement I thought about that. I never replaced the clutch master cylinder. I checked it over for external leaks and there were none.

I popped off the cap to check it and I just saw the float (no fluid) through. I added a little bit of fluid and drove the car. It seemed to shift a little easier, but I still had to take it slow. I think my master is leaking internally. I'll bleed it this evening and see how it drives afterwards.

Murgatroy
01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Fill the MC, flush it. Bleed it. If the pedal is changing feel, that is your issue.

If the clutch were slipping the car wouldn't stutter. It would rev to the moon without going anywhere. As in: Vroom, shift, Vroom, Shift, Vrooooooooooooooom, Vroom, Shift... It would normally slip while letting out on the clutch, or when you accelerate into the higher revs without shifting.

If the flush, fill and bleed doesn't make it better, THEN go look at your TOB.

The Captain
01-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Just buy a new master, cheap bastard.

4thgenceli
01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Just buy a new master, cheap bastard.

Already bought one. Don't have time to swap it out until the weekend. I need a temp fix to get going.

Murgatroy
01-29-2013, 07:58 PM
I need a temp fix to get going.

Buy a rollback.

4thgenceli
01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Buy a rollback.

Hehehehe.

Eric Barrera
01-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Master Cylinder or slave?

Murgatroy
01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Master Cylinder or slave?

Why you got to be all racist about this?

4thgenceli
01-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Slave cylinder is new. Master cylinder is (assuming) the stock ST162 cylinder that came on the car.

I'm trying to figure out of I should change it out for the alltrac one or if they're all the same.

Murgatroy
01-29-2013, 09:25 PM
I am pretty sure they are all the same. The difference would be in stroke if there were a difference.

I am running an ST162 MC on Chaos, Bruce is running an AT180 MC on his swap. Neither of us have issues.

underscore
01-29-2013, 11:44 PM
If your throwout bearing was bad it should be accompanied by an obnoxious noise.

Would that noise occur all the time when the car is in gear and moving a decent speed?

4thgenceli
01-30-2013, 12:52 AM
I feel fucking stupid now.

I was out of gas....thus the surging/slipping clutch feel under WOT. :facepalm:

Still gonna bleed the clutch though to see what happens.

MrWOT
01-30-2013, 01:12 AM
I feel fucking stupid now.

I was out of gas....thus the surging/slipping clutch feel under WOT. :facepalm:

Still gonna bleed the clutch though to see what happens.

Are you serious? Words cannot describe the fail :laugh:

Terracar
01-30-2013, 01:15 AM
Two months after I get it on, I'm going down again.

I believe, that is what she said.

Out of gas? Well at least it is an easy fix, too bad not a cheap one.

-Terracar

KoreanJoey
01-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Jesus christ...

Murgatroy
01-30-2013, 01:37 AM
Tim, this is an epic level of fail.

EPIC.

4thgenceli
01-30-2013, 02:18 AM
Yeah, this really takes the cake. Interesting turn of events this took it has.

Clutch pedal was feeling funny. Not wanting to get into gears. Started to remember this is what it felt like when I had the flywheel problems. I was thinking it damaged the clutch (even though ACT inspected and said it was fine). Anyway I limped it to the bus station and home today being careful not to romp on it (as i need to get it at least to the weekend). It kept acting like the clutch was slipping. I glanced down at my milage and saw I was at 325 miles. Usually on a full tank I get 250. My gauge was still just under 1/2 tank so I never thought twice about it. Turns out, I was actually running on less than a gallon of gas. The Walbro 255lph I put in couldn't get the gas when I was accelerating. :FACEPALM: I filled up and put 15.1 gallons of gas in. Time to watch mileage and not fuel gauge anymore.

Anyway, I am having master cylinder problems. After the bleed I instantly had my clutch back. Engagement wasn't right off the floor, nice firm pressure on the whole stroke (that's what Murgy said!). No visible leaks, but clearly I lost some fluid somewhere. I'm betting it's under the dash or an internal failure on the master cylinder. New one is going in this weekend when I can crawl under there.

celica9303
01-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Also might want to pick up an extended slave cylinder rod. I have the speed source one. Helped alot with feel.

MCcelica
01-30-2013, 03:20 AM
You reject. Lol

METDeath
01-30-2013, 03:31 AM
FUCKING FAIL!!! Seriously...

Eric Barrera
01-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Mehhh, I had a bigger fail when refilling my MC. Hehe

Doowstados
01-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Mehhh, I had a bigger fail when refilling my MC. Hehe

Yeah, at least he didn't fill his tank with tranny fluid :)

Eric Barrera
01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
fackkkkkkk yoooouuuuu. None of you ever told me -_- I was stupid 2 years ago

4thgenceli
01-31-2013, 09:10 PM
Well it turns out I had other problems.

As I was driving home last night something happened and whenever I went to engage the clutch there was a grinding noise. Parked it, got a tow home. While I waited I was debating what happened. I had a random guy on the street cycle the clutch pedal. I saw the slave move out/in (I didn't know how far it should of moved though so I thought it was fine).

As they guy was unloading her in my driveway I noticed a trail of fluid down his bed. Looked under the car and the crossmember has a few dribbles of brake fluid on it. Turns out the slave cylinder went out. Either way, I just ordered a new slave cylinder to go along with the master cylinder.

Doowstados
01-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Just shower it with love and fill it up with some new fluid man ;)

MrWOT
02-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Just shower it with love and fill it up with some new fluid man ;)

including gasoline

4thgenceli
02-01-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm never gonna live that one down.

I accept the flamage.

ChrisD
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Lol, you're really making our celicatech name hard to justify.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

4thgenceli
02-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Well the new slave and master cylinders are in. Still can't get into gear. Engage clutch, grinds. It's definitely in the bellhousing. Pushed her into the backyard for who knows how long again.

Doowstados
02-03-2013, 02:21 AM
Well the new slave and master cylinders are in. Still can't get into gear. Engage clutch, grinds. It's definitely in the bellhousing. Pushed her into the backyard for who knows how long again.

Have you tried pulling the cover and checking your pressure plate bolts? Might not be putting even pressure on the plate.

4thgenceli
02-03-2013, 04:46 AM
I don't think I can get to the pressure plate bolts at all. I'm going to start prepping it to come off tomorrow. Just gonna pull the starter and see whats in there first.

celica9303
02-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Hmmm. Still sounds like a TO bearing from what your describing, but doesn't explain the fluid......

MCcelica
02-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Multiple failures do, though. Nobody ever said "only one issue ever arises at one time".

underscore
02-03-2013, 05:22 PM
^ I think I just had my TO and rad cap explode at nearly the exact same time.

4thgenceli
02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Hmmm. Still sounds like a TO bearing from what your describing, but doesn't explain the fluid......

I has traces of fluid on the drivers compartment side of the master cylinder and when I pulled the dust cover off of the pushrod, brake fluid came pouring out. I'm sorting out what kind of clutch to put in it now. I'm going to order the TOB from Lithia.

Hookecho
02-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Do what Bob did.

4thgenceli
02-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Do what Bob did.

We're going to. Just waiting to see what happens with the wife's job before we pull the trigger.

Murgatroy
02-03-2013, 10:56 PM
He isn't cool enough to buy a Mustang, he wants a Mazda Minivan.

4thgenceli
02-03-2013, 11:07 PM
He isn't cool enough to buy a Mustang, he wants a Mazda Minivan.

Mustangs don't appeal too me. Fibrin over form

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Murgatroy
02-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Mustangs don't appeal too me. Fibrin over form

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
It's all good, you aren't cool enough to pull off a mullet.

Hookecho
02-04-2013, 12:16 AM
If I could I would so be the Cop with a mullet.

Car_Barn_Bandit
02-04-2013, 03:35 AM
If I could I would so be the Cop with a mullet.

Like Steve Guttenberg?

http://www.reelfilm.com/images/boyschl.jpg

MCcelica
02-04-2013, 06:20 AM
More like this: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/suwarnaadi/hair/Mel-Gibson-hair-in-lethal-weapon-3.jpg