PDA

View Full Version : S53 vs S54 Differences

Doowstados
01-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Can anybody explain to me the differences between the S53 and S54 transmissions?

Most importantly, do they use the same transmission mount? I cannot find a 5th gen mount, but I have no problem finding 6th gen mounts.

Not as important, but interesting to me because I haven't purchased my transmission yet:

Is there any benefit to getting the S54 over the S53 other than the fact that it is a newer design?

Will they use the same clutch/flywheel combo?

Same axles?

Same shift cables?

Would I need to do anything special should I choose to install the S54 in my 5th gen?

I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information about this. Thanks again!

KoreanJoey
01-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Same axles. S53 mounts fit the S54. S54 is shorter geared for better acceleration w/ twin cone 1st and 2nd gear synchros (iirc). Same clutch/flywheel, same axles, same shift cables. You need to swap your speedo sensor from the S53 to the S54 and the speedo might read a little fast (it does on mine).

Doowstados
01-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Same axles. S53 mounts fit the S54. S54 is shorter geared for better acceleration w/ twin cone 1st and 2nd gear synchros (iirc). Same clutch/flywheel, same axles, same shift cables. You need to swap your speedo sensor from the S53 to the S54 and the speedo might read a little fast (it does on mine).

Any idea other than the junkyard where I can find an S53 mount (That won't cost me $70+)? Tried eBay, no good.

What is involved in the speedo sensor swap? Is it just a bolt-off/bolt-on type deal or more involved?

KoreanJoey
01-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Yeah, just a 10mm bolt and a retaining pin (S54 sensor is electronic).

I'd say the junkyard is your best bet.

Doowstados
01-26-2013, 07:13 AM
Yeah, just a 10mm bolt and a retaining pin (S54 sensor is electronic).

I'd say the junkyard is your best bet.

Ended up getting the mount from PaP today. I didn't know hell was so cold and wet. It was raining cats and dogs in San Diego (which means anything over 1/2" :laugh:).

Will the speed sensor from my automatic transmission work on the S54, or are the sensors different between trannys? I'm doing the auto to manual swap and the one manual Celica at PaP was missing the sensor.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-27-2013, 01:32 AM
It was 3 with wind at Pull and Pay yesterday here. Find your balls.

Doowstados
01-27-2013, 03:23 AM
It was 3 with wind at Pull and Pay yesterday here. Find your balls.

My nuts are safe and sound. Yours are probably frosty blue from the wind chill :laugh: