PDA

View Full Version : White smoke from engine bay?

jjazmin
01-25-2013, 01:57 AM
Hey guys, need some help. For a couple weeks now i been noticing white smoke coming from passenger side upper hood. I would see the smoke about 5 minutes into driving the car. The smoke is white and has a sweet smell to it. Now when i took a look under the hood, there was nothing i can find, no leaks from top view, nothing loose. Now heres another thing i wanted to point out. About a month and a half ago when my power steering fluid went low, i went ahead and refilled it. No problems what so ever. Until about 2 weeks after, i started noticing my fluid would get low fast then i went ahead and refilled it again. A week or so after is when i started noticing white smoke. I didnt think anything of it at first but then it began to happen everyday, i was getting tired of it so i stopped driving it for a couple weeks up until yesterday. I started it up and took it for a drive around the block, until i heard noise when i would steer. Sure enough, my power steering fluid is low again AND white smoke coming from engine bay. Now, is this white sweet smell power steering fluid? or am i just imagining things. I havent checked under the car yet but ive checked from the top and no noticeable leaks. Any input would help. Thanks guys

4thgenceli
01-25-2013, 02:39 AM
White sweet smelling smoke is usually indicative of coolant burning off. I have no clue what power steering fluid burns though. I would assume either black or blue, but I have no clue.

jjazmin
01-25-2013, 02:45 AM
I thought it was coolant at first, but the location its coming from and the car running out of PS fluid only makes me think it would be that. No engine overheating or anything either. Coolant is topped

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-25-2013, 02:55 AM
What are the miles on the engine? Is it burning a little coolant before the engine warms up and seals up? PS leak is likely separate and unrelated to the smoke.

jjazmin
01-25-2013, 03:21 AM
I got about 230k on it. Coolant level is perfect. I have no clue as to why all of a sudden I'm burning PS fluid too fast and its been happening ever since white smoke came.

Car_Barn_Bandit
01-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Slipping PS belt and leaking PS fluid are my best guess. Try some Lucas PS stop leak fluid.

jjazmin
01-25-2013, 03:43 AM
Okay sounds good. I'll try that n see what happens

KoreanJoey
01-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Fuck stop leak. Find where it's leaking from. If your rack boots are dark looking towards the bottom, you need a new rack (it's leaking into the boots) otherwise it could be the pump.

Doowstados
01-25-2013, 08:44 AM
I would imagine that if the belt was slipping it wouldn't slip fast enough to cause smoke. Maybe it's leaking and hitting the brakes when you turn, which is burning off the PS fluid?

jjazmin
01-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Yeah I have a good feeling its only happening when I turn. I tried backing up and pulling into drive a couple times and no smoke. When I take it for a drive then it'll smoke up.

92 celica
01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Power steering fluid has a weird sweetish smell when it gets burnt off

I kept leaking my power steering fluid so I made my rack into a manual rack by filling it up and looping it