PDA

View Full Version : Dims when brake peddle is applied

buffalohunter7321
01-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Several things that I think need attention:
1st. Cluster lights dim along with heater motor slows way down when brake peddle is applied or when car is at idle.
Car idles @ 750/800 RPM
2nd. Dome lite comes on from right side door when taking off or when making a left turn. While taking off or in the turn the dome light blinks on and off.
3rd. The cluster lights or trouble lights come on and stay on after the car is started and running but not every time.

bloodMoney
01-23-2013, 12:47 AM
How old is your alternator Jack?

Murgatroy
01-23-2013, 02:49 AM
I would check grounds first.

The brake pedal is overtaxing the electrical system, causing the dim.

If your grounds are weak, they would be causing all of the above issues.

If the grounds are good, then check the alternator.

buffalohunter7321
01-24-2013, 03:16 AM
I have no idea of how old the Alternator is. I have owned this car for three years now and just been able to drive it for the last 5 months.
A friend of mine said that the metal behind the door post could be cracked and is allowing the door catch to flex to the weight of the door allowing it to separate a little from the shut door switch causing the dome light to come!!!
I have checked the grounds and all seem like they our all tight and clean of rust or corrosion.
If it is the alternator should I get a high out put one to replace the old one?
Forgot to mention that if I let the car set a day with out starting it, that the starter will not turn over to start the engine. I have to jump it to get it started and than it will start the rest of the day. ???

MrWOT
01-24-2013, 03:40 AM
Pull off the cables and sand the connections, then seal. Just because it looks clean from the outside, doesn't mean it it. Also, pull back the jacket on the cables and check for corrosion, if they look greenish, replace them.

buffalohunter7321
01-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Will do. Do you know how many cables there are?

Murgatroy
01-25-2013, 03:03 AM
If the battery is not charging enough to start the car after 24 hours, sounds like you need a battery and an alternator.

buffalohunter7321
01-25-2013, 03:58 AM
I'll take them both off and have them checked out at Auto Zone. Just have to wait for the snow coming in tonight to melt away. Thanks

MrWOT
01-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Nah, slow cranking is a sign of a dying battery, no cranking is insufficient voltage, and it won't hold a surface charge all day. That's why I'm guessing corrosion.

celica9303
01-26-2013, 03:57 AM
You may want to have a local shop/ parts place check the car also. Sometimes things check out differently when benchtested vs installed. Good luck Jack

buffalohunter7321
01-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Had battery checked and it is weak, so new one is coming.

93celicaconv
02-09-2013, 04:41 AM
Some auto parts stores, like Advance Auto Parts, will put an analyzer on your electrical system and give you a free diagnosis (starter, alternator, battery, paristalic drain, etc.). I like those tests, gives you the whole picture, instead of having one component checked.

buffalohunter7321
02-09-2013, 11:14 PM
I did not know that! I will have them do the full check up. Thank you for your help.

celica9303
02-10-2013, 04:01 AM
Some auto parts stores, like Advance Auto Parts, will put an analyzer on your electrical system and give you a free diagnosis (starter, alternator, battery, paristalic drain, etc.). I like those tests, gives you the whole picture, instead of having one component checked.

See above lol I said same thing

The Captain
02-11-2013, 04:49 PM
I had a similar problem with my vert. Tail light plug was bad. But it was only one that was giving me problems. If it's both on yours it's a chassis ground most likely.

buffalohunter7321
02-19-2013, 06:16 PM
New Alternator is on it's way and will get new battery as soon as it gets here.
Also had mechanic install all new oil pump, water pump, belt tensioner, pan casket, front struts with new top rubber mounts, power steering belt, timing belt. When all said and done, He told me that the power steering pump had a top bolt missing so he could not tighten the belt up to keep it from squeaking. So now I'll retake the front strut loose so as to get to the PSP and also redo the oil pan casket because it is leaking in several places along with changing the oil filter bracket gasket. And I will go ahead and try to get a new PSP, because I believe it is leaking fluid as well.
Just an update on how things are going.

Any suggestions on what to use to seal around the rear wiper arm to stop the water from coming in? I think this could be a possible cause for the dimming of the cluster lights!!!