PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Noob looking for help pls 91 Celica gt engine and trans swap

CHRIS55
01-21-2013, 01:57 AM
Hi All
I am new here and have been told that this is the place to go!! I have a 91 celica gt with the 5SFE automatic that i want to swap motor and install a 5 speed trans instead of the aotumatic. I am new at this but I have a friend who is fully capable of doing the work we just need help on the right application! i have been looking at the 3sgte with 5 speed trans but i would apparently have to switch my rear end as well as it is awd. I would love an AWD but dont really want to change the whole rear end!
I basically want a turbo 5 SPEED motor and trans or motor that i can turbo without blowing up and i dont know what works or the best way to do it!!

Thanks in advance

Chris

crymson
01-21-2013, 02:01 AM
The right way to do this is to swap an e153 from an mr2 or camry along with a 3sgte.

this page should get you started:
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?31705-THE-SWAP-List-of-threads-related-to-the-3SGTE-swap

4thgenceli
01-21-2013, 02:10 AM
First off, welcome.

Second, do some searches.

Hookecho recently did a ATM-->MTM swap (as did Murg IIRC). The 3sgte is the quickest & easiest turbo drop in there is. You'll need to re-wire the loom though. You can't do AWD.

Murgatroy
01-21-2013, 02:24 AM
Hookecho did a 3SGTE swap and stayed with an automatic, then he swapped to an S53.

The S53 is the normal 5 speed transmission behind a 5SFE. It has been used many times for a swap and it is easier to find and find parts for.

The E153 that comes in an MR2 or Camry requires more parts, but is the better transmission.

Chaos was also swapped to a 5 speed from an automatic. It isn't that difficult to do.

When doing a 3SGTE swap you don't have to go to AWD, you can use a 2WD transmission, or you can convert the AWD transmission to FWD. Any and all of the above has been performed.

pintoBC_3sgte
01-21-2013, 03:37 AM
No love for 5sfte?? :p

4thgenceli
01-21-2013, 03:55 AM
No love for 5sfte?? :p

Personally, judging by the OP's post, he's not too mechanically inclined and tuning/upkeep of a 3sgte is a bit easier than a custom built 5sfte.

pintoBC_3sgte
01-21-2013, 04:02 AM
Personally, judging by the OP's post, he's not too mechanically inclined and tuning/upkeep of a 3sgte is a bit easier than a custom built 5sfte.

True. Lol I don't know how I missed that he said he was new. Just saw "fully capable of doing the work" :p

CHRIS55
01-22-2013, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the input and the links! to be a little more clear on the "capable of doing the work" comment i made> My friend is a great fabricator and tech he is just used to hot rods and muscle cars!! this is a little out of his element but with a little guidance........

Cheers