PDA

View Full Version : changing or replacing instrument cluster?

MRVEGAS
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I have a 1995 Celica GT 2.2., I bought the car completely stock minus the previous owner thought it was good idea to change the instrument cluster lights to blue, it was a good idea until they started to flicker and go out when ever i drive. Is there a simple way to change out the bulbs? Is it basically plug and play with it?

Galcobar
01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Instrument cluster's a bit of a pain to take out, mainly because of the HVAC cables which prevent easy removal of the bezel surrounding the cluster, but changing the bulbs in the cluster itself is an easy task. They are simple twist-base bulbs in stock form, with a green sleeve to provide a tint. What your prior owner replaced them with is uncertain, as he/she could have simply switched the sleeve colour or gone to the extent of putting in a coloured LED. Only way to tell is to pull the cluster.

MRVEGAS
01-09-2013, 01:50 AM
ok thanks, that will me next little side project after i replace the motor mounts and the oil pan gasket.

Smaay
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
there is no oil pan gasket. clean the area off really good and make sure its the pan. i might be the power steering pump leaking.

METDeath
01-09-2013, 06:46 PM
6th gens don't have the HVAC controls messing up the gauge cluster process as they are under the radio.

MRVEGAS
01-11-2013, 11:53 AM
its leaking oil from the bottom, i just pulled the oil pan out replaced it and replaced the fittings for it, which they do have a oil pan gasket which is just a fitting/long oblong washer between the oil pan, no more leaking oil. Also just installed a new cold air intake and looking for a good clutch to install. Any input on a clutch, stage 2 or something basic?

Smaay
01-12-2013, 08:49 AM
dont get on the stage bandwagon. if you have a stock car get a southbend TZ Clutch it might not be on their website but if you call them and talk to andy he will hook you up. tell him i sent you. www.dxdracingclutches.com

Smaay
01-12-2013, 08:50 AM
http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/html/celica.html

Galcobar
01-16-2013, 10:00 AM
6th gens don't have the HVAC controls messing up the gauge cluster process as they are under the radio.

Whoops, didn't notice the sub-forum.