PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission Hard Shift from 1st to 2nd

Doowstados
01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
It is only shifting hard from first to second. After that it is shifting as normal.

The car has 22 miles on it since my engine swap, and the transmission got its filter changed and new fluid while everything was out.

I'm thinking some of the crud built up from the old filter is just working its way out? Hoping it will clear up as I drove more.

Is there any risk of damage to the new engine with the transmission acting up? I don't want a $2,000 and 2 month investment to fail because I overlooked something.

UtahSleeper
01-05-2013, 12:47 AM
I dont think hard shifts will damage the engine.

What is the condition of the trans fluid now? Is the level right when warm? Maybe try and additive or the high mileage fluid.

Doowstados
01-05-2013, 03:01 AM
It still looks fresh/new and it is right in the middle of the hot markings on the dipstick. I'll top it off tomorrow with some of the Lucas additive and see if there is any change.

My concern is that it could be a torque converter problem, which would strain the crank/main bearing. I'm not very knowledgable about transmission problems though, so I don't know exactly what to consider the problem.

Doowstados
01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
I added a bit of Lucas transmission additive and some more fluid to fully top it off and it seems to have gone away.

UtahSleeper
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Just keep an eye on it. I love the lucas stuff though. It has extended the time I have with a dying transmission beyond what I thought any additive could do.

4thgenceli
01-08-2013, 09:35 PM
It could of just been low fluid.

The mazda used to have some hard shifts, turned out we were a hair low on fluid. Topped off and it's been fine ever since.

Doowstados
01-20-2013, 04:44 AM
Well, it seems I have found my problem. I have a bad torque converter.

My problem returned after a day or two and I went through the BGB's troubleshooting guide. Eventually, after adjusting my cables and inspecting the electronic control, I did a stall test and read just under 2100 RPM in both reverse and drive. That is ~400RPM less than expected (2500-2800 is OK), or a ~20% difference from the expected value. This explains not only my slow shift response but also the sluggishness I get on hills and the shuddering I get in certain RPM ranges.

Looks like the transmission is coming back out...

Shouldn't be too difficult with a transmission jack, right?

4thgenceli
01-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Naw, if you have the right tools it should be fine. I'm able to get mine out in about 45 minutes.

Doowstados
01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
I decided to finally get myself a manual transmission. I was going to get one eventually anyway, figured I should save myself the money and just do it now. I'll be heading to the junkyard tomorrow. Hopefully I find everything I need!