PDA

View Full Version : need steps for 5sfe removal

celicaman97
12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Hello all I have a 1990 gt-s 2.2l and I need to swap it for another engine could you all please give me the steps for it, I.already have the antifreeze drained alternator removed and exhaust manifold.almost off , and how do I remove the engine from the transmission because I definitley don't want to.have.to pull both. Thanks !

4thgenceli
12-21-2012, 03:59 PM
You're going to have to pull both. You can remove the transmission without yanking the motor, but removing the motor without the transmission is a clusterfuck. It's easier to drop it out the bottom rather from the top. Also disconnect the harness from the ECU and pull it out of the firewall.

celicaman97
12-21-2012, 04:35 PM
What all bolts hold it to the frame andfrom the tranny to engine and i saw something about some flywheel bolts i have to take off ?

underscore
12-21-2012, 08:54 PM
disconnect the battery, rad, exhaust, and fuel lines, take off the wheels and remove the axles from the hubs (big 30mm nut). Remove the east-west crossmember and remove the axles from the tranny, you'll leak fluid so drain it ahead of time. the passenger axle is bolted to the engine so remove that support assembly (it's a bunch of 14mm bolts). Unplug the wiring harness from the ECU and pull it through the firewall, that's easier than leaving it in the car. Unbolt the east-west motor mounts and when everything is ready to drop, unbolt the north-south crossmember and drop everything through the bottom. Those aren't all the steps but that's everything I can think of off the top of my head.

Do you have the Toyota shop manual? It makes this a lot easier to understand.

Doowstados
12-30-2012, 07:29 PM
I have a checklist posted somewhere in the last two pages of my project thread, check my signature.

Smaay
01-07-2013, 10:29 PM
remove them both together its so much easier. also pull it from the top. that is much easier too. unplug the harness from teh ECU under the dash, pull the harness through the firewall. disconnect the axles from the trans. remove the engine mounts. pull engine. thats about it. its really easy. believe me its much easier than it looks.