PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Celica GT engine swap

1992 celica
12-07-2012, 05:28 AM
I am looking to swap out my N/A for the 3sgte. However, I have read numerous articles and different forums about different engine clips. I am mechanically inclined and plan on making the swap in the next month or so. My question is simple, should I chose a front clip from a gt4 or a rear clip from an mr2? I will make either work, but would prefer the easier of the two. Thanks

4thgenceli
12-07-2012, 01:43 PM
GT4

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Murgatroy
12-07-2012, 08:29 PM
No comparison for ease. GT4.

The only benefit of the MR2 clip is getting the transmission from the MR2, but then you have to source shifter linkage, axles and crossmembers from the GT4. None of the accessories or brackets will work.

The GT4 is pretty much a drop in if you use your stock transmission.

1992 celica
12-12-2012, 06:21 AM
GT4 it is. But just for the sake of conversation. What makes the MR2 more difficult if using the Celica tranny? I'm asking because the nearest gt4 clip is in NJ and there are a couple MR2 clips nearby.

Car_Barn_Bandit
12-12-2012, 07:33 AM
The transmission is behind you on a MR2. You would have to modify the shifter cable bracket to accept being in front. It's easier to use a tranny off a car that had the correct location for your Celica.

1992 celica
12-12-2012, 02:12 PM
But what would my troubles be if I were to use my existing 5 series tranny and just replaced the engine from an MR2. Would there be any issues there? I plan on using the Celica tranny and just doing an engine swap.

4thgenceli
12-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Take a closer look at the mr2 engine.

You'll need to do some wiring work with any turbo motor you swap in. Besides that, the MR2 accessories are in all sorts of weird places. The power steering pump isn't attached to the motor, instead its on the firewall (it's electric). The motor mounts are completely different than the GT4 mounts.

Now since you're replacing your S-series motor, you should be able to re-use all your mounting hardware and accessories (well at least I did when I installed a ST215 into my ST162, I'm using my st162 power steering, AC and alternator). Anyway it's just more work than swapping from a GT4 clip. It's possible, but there maybe that one strange odd part you need from the GT4 clip that you don't have and isn't on the mr2 clip.

Smaay
12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
like mentioned above, the MR2 engine has the accessories all mounted differently. the GT4 will be more of a direct swap.

as for the E153 on the MR2, its not the cable brackets, its the actual linkage that needs to be changed. the MR2 has it on the front, but on the Camry/Solara, All-Trac the E153 has the linkage on the back.

4thgenceli
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
like mentioned above, the MR2 engine has the accessories all mounted differently. the GT4 will be more of a direct swap.

as for the E153 on the MR2, its not the cable brackets, its the actual linkage that needs to be changed. the MR2 has it on the front, but on the Camry/Solara, All-Trac the E153 has the linkage on the back.

Along with what Smaay said above, you'll need to fab up some axles. Mr2 inner axles and Celica outer axles (usually non-LSD inner and ST185 outer). If you're doing the turbo swap I would HIGHLY advise to get the E153 transmission.

Smaay
12-12-2012, 10:36 PM
the E153 is a nice transmission, but your stock trans will support you and then you dont have to find axles and such.

Hookecho
12-13-2012, 03:31 AM
I may be wrong but last I checked, which has been some time, clips were way over priced. You end up paying more for the shipping weight than for what you actually need. 10 years ago buying a clip was the way to go because it was pretty much the only way to go. Now you can buy the motor and harness with accompanying parts necessary to complete a swap for half the cost of a clip. With a GT4 your just going to get a transmission that you can't use anyway unless you want to spend the money to attempt to convert it to fwd. You can sell the GT4 trans but they aren't worth much. Nobody ships clips with hoods anymore and if they have fenders they are beat to hell.

Unless you live local to a place that imports front clips and can save a little on freight then you shouldn't waste the money. I paid $1400 shipped for a 3sgte motor w/trans, harness, ecu, all sensors, axles, cables, and etc. Everything needed for a swap and the stuff I didn't need was on the pallet. If you want to do a little extra work the Caldina 3sgte motors are going for $1200 shipped here lately.

4thgenceli
12-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I may be wrong but last I checked, which has been some time, clips were way over priced. You end up paying more for the shipping weight than for what you actually need. 10 years ago buying a clip was the way to go because it was pretty much the only way to go. Now you can buy the motor and harness with accompanying parts necessary to complete a swap for half the cost of a clip. With a GT4 your just going to get a transmission that you can't use anyway unless you want to spend the money to attempt to convert it to fwd. You can sell the GT4 trans but they aren't worth much. Nobody ships clips with hoods anymore and if they have fenders they are beat to hell.

Unless you live local to a place that imports front clips and can save a little on freight then you shouldn't waste the money. I paid $1400 shipped for a 3sgte motor w/trans, harness, ecu, all sensors, axles, cables, and etc. Everything needed for a swap and the stuff I didn't need was on the pallet. If you want to do a little extra work the Caldina 3sgte motors are going for $1200 shipped here lately.

For what it's worth, the Caldina motor is not that much more work than a GT4 swap. Mechanically it's the (mostly) the same. There are a few differences between them, but the Caldina motor bolts right into a S-chassis. Wiring is wiring, you'll need to do it anyway. The only extra work I can think if you'll need to do is customize a hood to allow the ST215 A2A intercooler to fit, or go with a front mount intercooler.

5-o is right on the pricing though. When I bought mine it was either $1500 for a GT4 motor/ecu/harness shipped, or $1000 shipped for the Caldina. It's was cheaper for me because I'm next door to the importer I used (Venus Auto in California).

1992 celica
12-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Ok. I'll be having a gt4 shipped from New Jersey. Using my stock 5 tranny. Now that I got that out of the way. Can anyone tell me some snags I may run into during the swap?

4thgenceli
12-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Read the stickies in the forced induction forum.

1992 celica
12-16-2012, 02:20 AM
4thgen I did read the stickys as well as many other forums. They are all different. I would like to hear input from an actual person whom installed their own power pack and not from one whom created a link based off someone else's account. Thanks

xeril
12-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Its been a long time since I did the swap but I just jumped in at the time knowing hardly anything about cars and it went relatively smoothly. As long as you have all the tools, are comfortable soldering a few wires (and reading wiring diagrams), all should go fine. Its pretty straight forward.

Looking back, I'd recommend replacing headgasket/ARP head studs right away. Get the hybrid clutch ordered from whichever company was making them (since you have to use the 5SFE clutch disc with the 3SGTE flywheel and pressure plate if you use your cars stock transmission.) Going to have to fabricate an exhaust and (I'd suggest) front mount intercooler as well. Good luck and have fun with it!

4thgenceli
12-18-2012, 02:07 PM
If you want a funny read go though my project thread. It seems I ran into every possible issue. On another note, you're more than welcome to check out in person my swap and I can show the gremlins I've run into during the process.

Smaay
12-18-2012, 07:02 PM
why dont you go the V6 path? you can find 3MZ-FE engines all over the place. find one somewhat local, offer to pay in cash and you might get a better price.

xeril
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
But... boooooossstt Smaay :P

I do miss the sound of the turbo spooling, but a V6 swap would be awesome. Never have to deal with finding all those boost leaks...

Smaay
01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
dont get me wrong i love Boost but instant torque feels just the same. my 3MZ setup is making 220TQ instantly and climbs to 241TQ. do that swap for 1500 and then save up for the TRD supercharger.