PDA

View Full Version : Heating Fan has stopped working

mcgreevym
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
My first post folks so be gentle with me !!
The Heating Fan on my 1997 Toyota Celica Coupe has stopped working, I have checked the fuses and they look ok......any ideas
thanks
Michael

MCcelica
12-07-2012, 12:42 AM
First, welcome.

Next, fuses may look ok, but still be blown. It may be helpful to just replace them. Failing that, I would check wiring. Older cars have older wiring, and it's possible that a wire or two may be cracked, stripped, or broken. It could also be that the connector just simply fell off of the blower motor (which sits behind/below the glove compartment). From there I'd move on to switches.

Post back if that helps, or if you come up with other questions.

Galcobar
12-07-2012, 03:22 AM
I cannot recall, but is the sixth-gen fan control a knob? If it is, there's another possibility -- the part of the knob which holds the shaft is cracked, allowing the user to turn the knob without turning the shaft and thus not affecting the fan rheostat.

MCcelica
12-07-2012, 06:58 AM
It is a knob, and that could also be.

rizin
12-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Also depending on how savy you are you can take a voltage check at the plug going to the fan motor. I have never heard about problems with brushes on celicas but my dodge I had to flip mine around so it would contact correctly again. Just throwing it out there.

mcgreevym
12-09-2012, 12:47 AM
folks many thanks for replying, I've checked fuses, knobs and wires and as far as I can see they are ok. One thing I failed to mention was that, I had left the window of the car open and it was freezing....not sure if that helps but I think i'll need to get a pro to look at it

MCcelica
12-10-2012, 05:53 AM
All good buddy. I'm not a fan of messing with wiring either.

93celicaconv
12-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure with a 6th Gen Celica, and I've never had an issue with the 5th Gen Celica's I have, but many Camry's I've worked on had resistor failures. Carmy's have a resistor module in the air duct just after the fan motor, which is used in conjunction with the fan speed selector switch (knob) to regulate the fan speed. If Celica's employ these resistor modules, then this would be an area I would investigate as well.