PDA

View Full Version : whitch All-trac gets fixed first?

buffalohunter7321
11-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Hey all, I got a problem with the two All-tracs I have and would like to hear from the members about whitch one should I fix 1st..
The Blue is the one that I informed you all about after two cans of injector cleaner and one can of carb. spray cleaner to get the clogged injector open, well it now has a anti freeze leak from some where around the thermastat or water pump and my oil catch can has milky oil and water in it. I figuare it needs a head gasket and while it is tore apart I may as well do all the other changes water pump, thermastate, timming belt, oil pump. Have I missed anything? Oh yea it also still throws a code 54 with a new OEM Knock sensor and the lite for ABS is also staying on. Lots of goast to chase for it to get back on the road.

"The Black". It has a cracked head and basically will be fixing and doing the same exact repairs, but the timming belt I know is brand new. It has less than 200 miles on it. As for the other parts I don't know if there new or not, so will be installing those new for lack of knowlage on them. Will be useing a 4th. gen 3sge head on it with just OEM gasket kit or should I get a comatic head gasket, since the 3sge head and cams gives me more HP. and useing a 50trim turbo, will it be able to take the pressure? Now my plans is to do the dream build with the 5sgte later on in about a year. I will start collecting parts as soon as I can save the money to buy them and when I get the engine together, I'll install it.
I just don't want either of the cars to set for to long out in the wheather.
So let me know what you think and feel free to give any advise you want. Thanks buffalohunter7321

Terracar
11-21-2012, 11:51 PM
So here are my thoughts:

The Blue one:

- You say there is a coolant leak around the T-stat/waterpump. Check the hoses for leaks. If you determine it is the water pump, then I would concern myself with your planned maintenance.
- The milky oil in the catch can does not indicate a blown head gasket. Depending on your setup it may just be condensation from the surrounding air. If it was coolant and oil then I would worry.

As for replacement parts:
Water pump
Oil pumps rarely go bad, so I would say this is fine as-is. You can also check the specs on it to see if it is within spec.
Cam gear seals
Oil pump seal (if not replaceing oil pump)
front main seal
T-belt
T-belt idlers (there are 2 - they are different though)
New t-stat
coolant hard line gasket/seals
Valve cover gasket set
Distributor O-ring

The black one:
You say 4th gen 3sge - I assume you are meaning a 3sge head from a 4th gen Celica.
The head will handle boost just fine.

My $.02 - I assume the Black one has less known issues than the Blue one - is this correct? If so, why not take the head from the Blue one, get it checked and put it on the Black one. snap it together and bam 1 running 'trac. Then you can take your time with the Blue one fixing the other issues as you go along. The reason I say this is, 1 project is a headache and a half, 2 projects are a nightmare.

Get one running and work on the lesser of the two at your leisure.

-Terracar

bloodMoney
11-22-2012, 05:04 AM
That code 54 may be indicative of bad knock sensor wiring Jack. It's a shielded wire and will show that code when the shielding decays. I think l0ch0w (LP Engineering) makes an replacement for that.

As for the blue 'trac, I'd take care of that one first. Compression test, verify that you actually have a blown head gasket before diving into it. Otherwise, Terracar is right as far as the replacement list. I actually have a spare set of injectors here in Chicago with me if you want them since that seems to still be an issue. I hate the ABS in these cars and actually removed it from my ST185 as it has nearly killed me twice. Thus, I have no advice on that front....

But this is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions lol :)

buffalohunter7321
11-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Ok did the compression test [dry] and the #1 was 158, #2 was 164, #3 was 159, #4 was 161. They are the same as when I did it about a month ago, some where around 200 miles ago. So I think my head gasket is ok and it is fireing on all 4 cylinders. Checked the oil and there is no milky color to it.

Terracar I think you hit the nail on the head about the water in the catch can being condensation, because the drain valve on the bottem was shut so the water could not drain out. Good advice on the replacement list and will follow it to a T when I need to replace one of them.
The catch can I have is the one shadowlife designed.

Haven't checked it out yet to where it is leaking, but will soon.

Chris I'll take you up on that offer of the injectors. I'll PM my address to you and we can exchange info.

I pm'ed l0ch0w, but have not recieved a reply yet on getting a replacement wire.

How do you remove the ABS when an old man like me doesn't even know what it looks like.....I guess there old like me LOL. Any ways I want to remove them or it whitch ever the case.

How did the meet go? I can't wait till the wheather is good again so I can bring my Trac's to everone I can make.

Thanks to both of you for your advice, it help me alot.
Jack, THE OLD new Guy

bloodMoney
11-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I did mine by replacing the front knuckles with non-abs knuckles.

The proper way to do it is to replace the knuckles and lines with non-abs stuff, pull the abs brick and pull the abs fuse.

At least that's how I'd do it. Someone can correct me I'd I'm wrong.

We can definitely talk on the injectors.