PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild time..

acidice333
11-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Ok folks time has almost come for me todo something about my ST205 engine.. Engine is all in pieces, just gotta unbolt the crankshaft and I'm ready to start rocking!

What should I do to my block? ..I'll worry about my head later.

I"m gonna refresh it regardless and I want more power too but I haven't done anything of this magnitude before so yeah, opinions opinions opinions! :)

Luni
11-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Why are you rebuilding it? What was wrong with it?

MrWOT
11-18-2012, 06:25 PM
First of all, you need to get the pistons you're gonna use. Call mfr and ask how much clearance to run for your application, same with ring mfr, except you want to find out desired wall finish. (unless you're going to have the machine shop source the parts, they'll do it themselves)

Find the highest end, high volume shop you can, most likely they will have updated, well maintained machines.

As for what work to do, check the crankshaft line, and cylinder to crank for squareness (bore centered over crank throw). Give them the pistons, and they will hone each cylinder to FIT the pistons, which is always how it should be done. Pistons never all mic the same out of the box.

If they provide the service, have them stress relief, shot-peen and resize your rods.

A good shop will clean and chase all the holes in the block too.

acidice333
11-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Luni: I lost oil :(

MrWOT:
Yeah the plan was to grab the pistons and have the shop go at it.
I was eyeing on buying the "CP Pistons SC7450" but its 86.5mm and I'm still not sure if I want to bore it or not? I think this is the part Im stuck on thinking about for the longest time.

vip09
11-19-2012, 01:32 AM
I would get the 86.5mm pistons and have the machine shop measure the pistons and bore the block accordingly.

MrWOT
11-19-2012, 03:51 AM
I would use 4032 myself. unless you're going to race it

acidice333
11-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Interesting-- didn't know about 4032.

No racing more of a secondary daily driver once its back up.
What are my options on the 4032 stuff? I was looking at maybe the Wossner pistons and Eagle rods to go with it which is about $799 plus whatever it is to ship it here unless I can find something else.

MrWOT
11-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Contact Mahle.