PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure issue!!!!

819_ay
11-10-2012, 07:46 PM
The car with the issue is the st185, and for the past few weeks under 1500rpm the oil pressure is at 0. and today it got worse. the oil pressure goes up only at 2700 rpm so at 3k rpm it's at around 10 psi, i know it should be at around 30-40 psi. i don't really know where to start looking. any help is appreciated

thanks

Eric Barrera
11-10-2012, 10:31 PM
How are you getting pressure readings?

Bad sender unit?

819_ay
11-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Electric pressure gauge, I thought about it and but then I saw this,... It's what is in my diy catch can, it sorta foamy and smelt like oil obviously, maybe a hint of coolant (a little sweet smell) but I'm not to sure... It's only happens when the car is hot when it's cool the pressure is up

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Hipster Lawrence
11-11-2012, 12:34 AM
That gunk in the catch can is quite possibly normal condensation.

As for your oil pressure issue if you trust your pressure gauge its time to rebuild the engine.

underscore
11-11-2012, 01:01 AM
test it with a manual gauge and possibly from a different place before rebuilding anything.

819_ay
11-11-2012, 03:06 AM
Kinda sucks because it was rebuilt last year, I'll try changing the sender unit or a manual pressure gauge see what happens... If that fails, would it be the rings? Head gasket? seal of some sort...

Sent using Tapatalk 2

UtahSleeper
11-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Oil pump? Oil pickup? Losing any oil? Oil level and condition seems good? Any valve/engine chatter?

joe's gt
11-11-2012, 07:13 AM
I'd try hooking up some other gauge setup first. Even just for non-moving idle and revving. I had an autometer cobalt gauge tee'd into the oil pressure sending unit and at idle it wasn't reading any pressure and only got up to around 20 psi on cold starts. Never had a low oil level light pop up or any symptoms of low oil such as valve chatter, bearings go out, etc. If you rule out the gauge, and other small things like a clogged filter or pickup, I pretty much agree your engine is probably toast.

819_ay
11-11-2012, 01:03 PM
What is oil pick up? I really hope it's just the gauge because I don't have the cash flow to rebuild my engine Lol and this is my DD

Thanks guys

Sent using Tapatalk 2

93celicaconv
11-11-2012, 02:51 PM
The car with the issue is the st185, and for the past few weeks under 1500rpm the oil pressure is at 0. and today it got worse. the oil pressure goes up only at 2700 rpm so at 3k rpm it's at around 10 psi, i know it should be at around 30-40 psi. i don't really know where to start looking. any help is appreciated.

Just checking your first thread - making sure I understand. You had an indication of low oil pressure (your oil pressure gauge) and yet continuted to drive it for several weeks like that?

Do you have an oil pressure light? If so, did that oil pressure light come on when you engine got below 1500 RPM a couple weeks ago?

You did not comment about any unusual engine noise now compared to before you had this oil pressure symptom. Is it making any sort of noise now?

Your picture of oil, with your note of sweetness, and the appearance of light brown blotches, sure looks like coolant and oil mixed together. If that is what we are seeing, this could be caused by a variety of reasons (most of us would jump on a headgasket, but on a recently rebuilt engine, and not knowing how you drive it or the maintenance history, it could be a cracked block or head).

819_ay
11-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Honestly she runs great, no wierd noises, she doesn't seem to be loosing oil, maybe a quart between oil changes, I pretty much baby her,I use 5w30 castrol edge oil, Toyota oil filter, I drive her hard once in a while at 12 psi of boost, stock turbo, 3" exhaust, Berks dp, mines ecu and a fmic, and an apexi avcr. Doesn't seem to be blowing any smoke. She doesn't over heat, the coolant level hasn't changed either, And yes I drove the car anyways, I have to get to work everyday and don't have the time to check it out, I know it can't be the best for the car, but I unfortunately don't have a choice :-(... like I said she's running fine as far as I know, I might have time to check it out sometime this week,

Thanks again guys,very much appreciated I will keep you all up to date once I check it out

Sent using Tapatalk 2

93celicaconv
11-11-2012, 03:28 PM
OK. Just your previous post of a discharge of oil and what has the look and smell of coolant mixed in, you referenced being when the car was "hot" (which in my frame of reference, means above normal operating temperature). But your last note said it doesn't overheat.

You are the owner - you decide what is best for you. Good luck, let us know what develops.

819_ay
11-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Sorry when I meant hot I meant normal operating temperature, after she has been running for 10-15 minutes. She hasn't blowing smoke, but the catch can had a lot of oil, and I said i wasn't sure if it smelled like coolant, anyways I should have a day off Wednesday, to check out, in the mean time I hope she doesn't leave me stranded lol. I know I maybe shouldn't drive the car but if I don't work I can't fix it, gotta do what ya gotta do I guess

thanks again..

Sent using Tapatalk 2

819_ay
12-16-2012, 03:07 AM
so i figured out that the probleme was actually the oil pressure gauge...thanks again for the advice!

UtahSleeper
12-17-2012, 07:05 PM
That is a relief. Glad all seems well.