PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Celica GT has no spark

mgarc51
11-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Hello, I am new to CelicaTech, learning how to use this interesting site. My daughter's 94 Celica died on her way to college. The engine turns fine with starter, but will not start. I pulled spark plug wires and there is no spark to any cylinder. The engine is a 1.8l 4 cyl. with a distributor. What I have checked so far: Timing belt is ok, cams are turning. I checked all the fuses I could locate. I pulled the cover off the distributor and checked the air gap at pick up coil (OK). I would appreciate any pointers the members of this site could provide. The parts manager at the dealership told me that an expensive part called an Ignitor could be bad. Is there a test I could do to verify the ignitor is bad. Thanks..Mike

Galcobar
11-11-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm not familiar with the 7AFE (code for the 1.8L engine in your sixth-generation ST), but my first reaction would be to test the wiring and connectors leading off of the distributor with a multimeter. If you can find the point where the ignition pulse (or ignition signal) stops, you can identify the faulty part.

As for actually buying a replacement, if money's a concern I have three suggestions.

For Toyota parts, Lithia Toyota is a dealership which operates an online parts store, and is a board vendor. Aaron or Tracey can be reached through Lithia's sub-forum on this site, or via lithiatoyotaparts.com. Prices are generally substantially lower than your local dealer, shipping reasonable, and customer service excellent.

For aftermarket parts, rockauto.com is well-regarded (though judging by the fact you have a feeler gauge I'm guessing you're already familiar with buying auto parts, I figured I'd include it for completeness).

Perhaps the cheapest option would be to buy a used part. One of the benefits of owning a Toyota is that even used parts are generally long-lasting. Since the 7AFE was used in Corollas and Geo Prizms, parts are fairly easy to find. A useful website is car-parts.com; it's a web portal to access an inventory software used by auto recyclers across North America.

MCcelica
11-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Given the list of symptoms, my best guess would be igniter as well. However as Glacobar suggests, that's kind of a stab in the dark. The last thing we want you to do is blindly throw parts (read: money) at something, only to have it be something else. Going through with a multimeter is the best way to narrow down what's actually going on. If you find that the multimeter tells you that the igniter is bad, I would suggest Lithia as well. They deal in brand new Toyota equipment and show their price vs. MSRP on their website. I can also independently testify to their economy as a local dealership wanted over 6k for parts that I got from Lithia at barely over 4k. Here is a link to their igniter.

http://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com/parts/1994/TOYOTA/CELICA/ST/?siteid=215542&vehicleid=1274318&section=ELECTRICAL&group=IGNITION%20SYSTEM&subgroup=DISTRIBUTOR&component=IGNITER

KoreanJoey
11-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Test for spark from the coil.

92 celica
11-14-2012, 02:56 AM
Auto zone can test the ignitor