PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issue

tHeGeeK
11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
So here's the story. I replaced my starter and my alternator with brand new ones form Startech. My battery is located in the trunk. This setup has been this way for 3+ years. In that time I ahve gone through 4 batteries. Luckily Canadian tire has a fantastic replacement warranty.

When running, my voltage is up around the 14.0v mark, when idling and warm it's around 12.4v both at the alternator and the battery. I've left it for a day and when I checked it this morning it's reading 11.8v. It is -15 degrees C outside, however, this happens in the summer too. I have done the parasitic draw test I found on this forum, but I'm curious if there is another way to figure out what is wrong?

Anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks for the assistance,

Kyle

Doowstados
11-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Seems you have some resistance or not enough current making its way to the battery from the alternator.

At idle you should be getting around 13.3v. I would suggest upgrading your grounds and making sure you have 0 gauge wire going from your alt to your battery. If you've already done this then it is possible your voltage regulator or brushes on that alt are out of spec, maybe check that next.

tHeGeeK
11-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks, I just put in a 2 gauge cable from the negative side to the engine bay, I then have a Earth ground wire from the alt to the 2 gauge (I think the Earth ground is about 8 or 10 gauge). Not enough? Should I replace the whole thing?

Not sure how I would check to make sure the brushes and volt reg are within spec. I'll start it again tomorrow and check my voltages again. Thanks for the reply. I'll post again in the morning.

Doowstados
11-09-2012, 06:34 PM
You can either use the BGB on the home page of this site or you can use a Chilton manual to figure out how to check the brushes and voltage regulator.

tHeGeeK
11-09-2012, 07:05 PM
So I rechecked the voltages this morning, the battery held at 11.8V for 2 days without moving, She started up just fine, no hesitation, first crank. When it first started, voltage was at 14.7 both at the alt and battery, after letting it run and warm up, the voltage was steady at 12.5V with it going up to 13.7 to 14v with the rpms up to 2k. The heater was on full blast the whole time, and it wasn't until I turned on the lights and highbeams did it drop below 12v, down to 11.4v. When I revved it, rich back up to 13.7 to 14v. I'm back to work tomorrow, so if she lasts not being touched for 5 days, I'll consider it a win, for now. Hopefully I'll have time to check the voltage regulator next week. Thanks again for the assistance Dusitn.