PDA

View Full Version : new deck, door subs dont work

suprPHREAK
12-08-2004, 02:55 AM
I upgraded the stock deck to an aftermarket, but apparently the door subs from my system10 no longer work. The installation guy says they must be on a separate amp from the other speakers. What I am wondering is if I can use the sub pre-out from my new deck, could I wire it into this amp and make them work? If so, where is this amp, and what colour wires do I splice onto?

Thanks!

ps: this is until I can afford new REAL subs!

1993 GTS

Playfortoday
12-08-2004, 04:17 AM
I upgraded the stock deck to an aftermarket, but apparently the door subs from my system10 no longer work. The installation guy says they must be on a separate amp from the other speakers. What I am wondering is if I can use the sub pre-out from my new deck, could I wire it into this amp and make them work? If so, where is this amp, and what colour wires do I splice onto?

Thanks!

ps: this is until I can afford new REAL subs!

1993 GTS

That installation guy should not be doing installations. I don't want to come off like an ass, but he should know better if he does it for a living. Metra makes a harness for the 92-93 celica system 10, (it does incluse a few very late model 91's as well depending on what head was put in.)

I hope he did not hack up your original harness, because if he didn't, you can still fix it so all ten speakers will work. Sorry if I sound angry, but the previous owner of my all-trac took the car to best buy where they hacked the harness to add a pioneer head unit, charged him for a custom wiring job, and never even got the 8" subs to work in the end. When I bought it, I had to painstakingly rebuilt the harness(luckily they left it hanging by a couple wires). Once rebuilt, I used the correct harness, and it was plug and play from there.

System 10 Link (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583)

david in germany
12-08-2004, 06:38 AM
That installation guy should not be doing installations. I don't want to come off like an ass, but he should know better if he does it for a living. Metra makes a harness for the 92-93 celica system 10, (it does incluse a few very late model 91's as well depending on what head was put in.)

I hope he did not hack up your original harness, because if he didn't, you can still fix it so all ten speakers will work. Sorry if I sound angry, but the previous owner of my all-trac took the car to best buy where they hacked the harness to add a pioneer head unit, charged him for a custom wiring job, and never even got the 8" subs to work in the end. When I bought it, I had to painstakingly rebuilt the harness(luckily they left it hanging by a couple wires). Once rebuilt, I used the correct harness, and it was plug and play from there.

System 10 Link (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583)

Play from what I can tell, If you do not use all of the inputs on the Metra harness to the amp the subs will not work. this is just a theory and not tested. As I was disecting the harness I have it seemed to be the case. The front and rear right inputs on the amp combine to make the sub channel and the right side and the front and rear on the left side combine for the left sub channel that is why there is no sub control on the system 10 decks.
David

suprPHREAK
12-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Yeah, it was a Best Buy job...but they didnt hack it. Used a Toyota harness adaptamajig. Guess it wasnt for the system 10 tho.

This Metra harness...its just match up the colours and it works, right? Kinda wishing I didnt pay to install if I knew it would be THAT easy!!

Where do I get it? (I'm in Canada, so dont say Circuit City!!)

david in germany
12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Yeah, it was a Best Buy job...but they didnt hack it. Used a Toyota harness adaptamajig. Guess it wasnt for the system 10 tho.

This Metra harness...its just match up the colours and it works, right? Kinda wishing I didnt pay to install if I knew it would be THAT easy!!

Where do I get it? (I'm in Canada, so dont say Circuit City!!)
Then they didn't use the stock amp, they unpluged the harness behind the deck and pluged the typical adapter into the stock harness. the system 10 harness is kinda a T harness that feeds the system 10 amp from the cars original harness and then returns to the start point and runs the deck. what your installer did was disconnect the T harness and connected the new deck to the stock car harness that has no outputs for the subs (which are connected to the t harness about midway between the deck and the amp)
You need the harness that play posted if you would like the subs to work (without running A new amp and all the wires to go with it)

Playfortoday
12-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Play from what I can tell, If you do not use all of the inputs on the Metra harness to the amp the subs will not work. this is just a theory and not tested. As I was disecting the harness I have it seemed to be the case. The front and rear right inputs on the amp combine to make the sub channel and the right side and the front and rear on the left side combine for the left sub channel that is why there is no sub control on the system 10 decks.
David

You are correct sir!

Also, it is worth noting that your aftermarket deck should have two sets of rca pre-outs for fronts and rears!!! I use my non-fader pre out(third prout dedicated to subs) to run an additional subwoofer.

david in germany
12-08-2004, 03:21 PM
You are correct sir!

Also, it is worth noting that your aftermarket deck should have two sets of rca pre-outs for fronts and rears!!! I use my non-fader pre out(third prout dedicated to subs) to run an additional subwoofer.
Ouch!
did you feel that?
it was the thought of a complete system 10 write up comming! :lolhittin

nuclearhappines
12-08-2004, 10:19 PM
my advice is NEVER let an audio 'professional' professionally install your audio equipment.

typical problems:

cut wires,
bypassed amps,
not putting weatherguard back on behind the door panels,
broken interior mounts/ pins

not worth the trouble

-nuke

Playfortoday
12-09-2004, 01:39 AM
I'm with nuke. Never use my shop or anyone in my field. We'll fuck up you car. :madfawk:

Luni
12-09-2004, 01:54 AM
I'm with nuke. Never use my shop or anyone in my field. We'll fuck up you car. :madfawk:
Just like you fucked up c.net huh? :hehe:

Playfortoday
12-09-2004, 01:56 AM
:lolhittin

suprPHREAK
12-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your help all! Metra harness on the way, I;ll have it in tonight and have my bassy goodness restored!

david in germany
12-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks for your help all! Metra harness on the way, I;ll have it in tonight and have my bassy goodness restored!

What was the cost and where did you order?

DAvid

Playfortoday
12-09-2004, 02:18 PM
As a bonus, all you will have is 5 wires to hook up (acc power, constant, ground, remote antenna, and remote amp)! Then just Plug in you front rcas to your front out and your rear rcas to your rear out. Only minutes to bassy goodness, lol.

suprPHREAK
12-10-2004, 01:01 AM
Its in. It was easy. VERY easy. Mmmm....bass.bass.bass.ba.ba.bass.
Thanks for your help all!!!!

suprPHREAK
12-10-2004, 01:03 AM
What was the cost and where did you order?

DAvid

I got it from a local car audio shop, here in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada. These guys know their stuff!! It cost me a whopping $15 CDN, plus tax (15%) :wiggle: