PDA

View Full Version : Inner, outer, inboard, outboard I'm confused

4thgenceli
11-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Downside of owning a swapped car. You forget what parts came belong to which vehicle. I ordered the wrong CV boots for my car :(

With the E153 transmission, I'm running mr2 non-lsd inner axles and ST165 outer axles. I never put these together myself, I bought them as an assembled kit already. The inner and outer shafts are identified by where the 6 allen bolts are at, correct?

On that note, are all CV joint boots the same on each car? I need to replace two of them. On the passenger side of the vehicle, not the boot closest to the hub but the next one out. Would that be the inboard or outboard?

On the driver side, I need the one closest to the hub, this would be the outboard?

Cliffs:
Question 1:
How do I define the inner/outer axle shafts on an e153 swapped car?

Question 2:
How do I differentiate between inboard and outboard boots?

fussellbug
11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Inner/Inboard are the items closer to the center of the car (closer to the transmission)
Outer/Outboard are the items farther from the center of your car (closer to your wheels)

bloodMoney
11-06-2012, 03:49 PM
What a noob... :P

4thgenceli
11-06-2012, 04:00 PM
What a noob... :P

Yeah shove it ya' cougar hunter :P

I assumed that was the answer, but last time I assumed something I was dead fucking wrong. Rather be safe than sorry. Seeing as how I've already take off the axles (disconnected at the joints) I'm going to replace all 4 boots.

bloodMoney
11-07-2012, 03:43 AM
lol you said cougar and I read boobs instead of boots....

I was like, "where's the second set of boobs coming from?"

4thgenceli
11-07-2012, 04:06 AM
lol you said cougar and I read boobs instead of boots....

I was like, "where's the second set of boobs coming from?"

I think we need to both step away from the computer and go pay a visit to our wifes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

bloodMoney
11-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Its wives. Not wifes.

And I agree. goodnite :)

Hookecho
11-07-2012, 04:43 PM
inboard, outboard I'm confused

Is she a seafaring vessel? Arrrr

4thgenceli
11-13-2012, 01:29 AM
What is the correct size?

I've measured the axle, I'm getting about 2.6" (68mm). I can't find them anywhere. All the stores and dealer has are the larger 88mm. Am I simply supposed to secure them and not worry they're too big?

4thgenceli
11-13-2012, 01:49 AM
So a quick measurement here is what I came up with.

Passenger transmission side of axle: 68mm
Passenger wheel side of axle: 100mm

Driver transmission side of axle: 78mm
Driver wheel side of axle: 100mm

I have two of the driver side boots. At least now I know the sizes I need and can order accordingly. :sigh: Nickle and dime, nickle and time.