PDA

View Full Version : New here, New(ish) owner of a 1990 Celica GT

KD8KKT
10-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I kinda posted everything over in the projects forum, (It made sense at the time :slap:) but anyways I have been browsing the interwebs for some info on rebuilding the Celica to its former glory. I think my main goal will be gas mileage, I don't plan on making it a show car or anything, and it is a perfect platform for it (Small, 5 spd man, 4 cyl.)

My garage this winter will be turning into the Celica repair shop. I have been cleaning all my work benches off and finishing some unfinished projects so the Celica can be the only project. I have some experience in maintaining and fixing cars this will be my 4th major project as a car, my first was a 1994 Ford Probe, 1987 Ford Ranger, 1984 Trans AM, and now my 1990 Toyota Celica. rather odd combination of cars but I'm unbiased towards one manufacturer to another.

I am unsure what route to take on this one, what is generally a first step to modify these cars to perform, look, and feel better as a car??? Rather derp of a question but might as well ask it. :2cents:

Lonestag
10-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Well, there isn't a whole lot of power to be made without getting in really deep into the modifications.
That intake you have on there is a good first step, you can get a header from Ebay for around $100 (or from a 97-01 Camry).

Other then that, refreshing your suspension and engine bushings and mounts (all wearable parts) will do a lot for ride quality.

In general, our cars respond a lot better to handling mods then to power mods (adding cams can make a big difference though).

Welcome to the Celica world!

pintoBC_3sgte
10-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Welcome !!

KD8KKT
10-31-2012, 09:21 PM
I agree as far as power goes I am not looking to add 250 hp (that would require way to many fireball vinyl stickers) but improving response and efficiency, definitely. My car in particular needs more of a tuneup and modernization than anything.

Lonestag
10-31-2012, 10:17 PM
I've been able to get around 33mpg with mine (while it was running, now it gets Error - Devide by zero MPG).
Make sure that your cold air intake is hooked up properly, (all the sensors and vacuum hoses) because thats one way to waste a little fuel.

bloodMoney
11-01-2012, 05:41 PM
PICS or it didn't happen.

and Welcome :)

MCcelica
11-05-2012, 12:51 AM
Hi.