PDA

View Full Version : New here, New(ish) owner of a 1990 Celica GT

KD8KKT
10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Hello, It all started back in June of this year, I bought a 1990 Celica I was quite interested in going the Toyota route for my next car at the time. A good friend of mine drives a Camry and it currently has 260k on the Odometer and it has been a reliable car. Anyways so for me Toyota was a logical step, (My previous car was a Trans AM) fun as hell, terrible gas mileage. I got what I believe is a good deal I paid $800 bucks for the car.
Currently this car sits very close to stock the only things done to it are as follows:
-Tinted windows
-short intake
-chrome muffler

Being that it is stock, I decided to only work on fixing what needed to be fixed and if I choose to, do modifications later. the worst part of this car is it has some front end damage, it needs a new bumper, fenders, and driver side headlight cover and corner light. it is not that badly damaged and all the internal stuff is fine.
I have fixed quite a few things on it sofar.
-fixed rear view mirror,It was not on when I bought it.
-had 1 new wheel bearing replaced
-got the headlight working that had sustained some damage
-new plugs,wires,valve cover gasket ,cap,rotor.
-rebuilt the short intake to be a longer intake and cleaner looking by adding 1 new pipe and rerouting it better.
there is still work to be done, such as fixing the e-brake, replacing the brakes in general, replacing the front end to new condition, probably needs a new clutch, I wanna go through the front end and replace bushings and tie rod ends grease the greasable things, and a front end alignment, and of course some rust removal and paint.
overall I feel it was a good investment, I have the aforementioned things to repair but the car as it sits is perfectly drivable. The car will be parked this winter to work on as much as possible, I have a truck for driving anyways. If you would like to, feel free to comment on what you would like me to do with my car as it sits being a clean slate to work with this winter. Thank you! P.S. my friend told me I should drop a Twin Turbo Rotary V-6 in it...... :saythat:

Hookecho
10-31-2012, 03:45 PM
P.S. my friend told me I should drop a Twin Turbo Rotary V-6 in it...... :saythat:

Don't listen to your friend. The 3sgte is going to be the more reasonable swap. There are Toyota V6 options if that is the route you want to go.

Welcome to the site.

Lonestag
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a fun project, good luck getting stuff done during the winter! Way to protect it from the salt!

KD8KKT
10-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Don't listen to your friend. The 3sgte is going to be the more reasonable swap. There are Toyota V6 options if that is the route you want to go.

Welcome to the site.

It was more of a joke, my friend likes 4chan autos. I have no real interest in an engine swap. I have the 5s-fe so I shall simply work on making that better, nothing two fancy.

KD8KKT
10-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a fun project, good luck getting stuff done during the winter! Way to protect it from the salt!

Garaging it is the best way to protect it, but where i live they use a fair amount of sand( thank god...) so my vehicles don't get to bad and my truck I wash every two weeks in the winter to keep the rust at bay. I have a 2001 Ford Ranger, very clean and I plan to keep it like that.

MCcelica
11-01-2012, 04:54 AM
It was more of a joke, my friend likes 4chan autos. I have no real interest in an engine swap. I have the 5s-fe so I shall simply work on making that better, nothing two fancy.

Welcome to the site, if you change your mind down the road and want to work in a swap, we got ya covered.