PDA

View Full Version : Need some help, quick.

Doowstados
10-28-2012, 05:49 AM
I need to have my engine out by tomorrow morning. I have done everything called for in the BGB except remove one of the cables from the transmission and remove the second fuel hose (I removed the fuel inlet from the fuel filter).

1) Where is the other fuel hose?
2) Where are the two cables located on the transmission? I removed the front one last weekend (I believe it's the shift linkage?).

And the most important question:

My right side engine hook is missing. What can I use as an alternate lift location for my hoist when I pull it? I'm not able to drop the engine like I would prefer so it needs to come out the top.

What would work best?

MCcelica
10-28-2012, 08:35 AM
When I pulled mine out, I used the driver side transmission mount bracket. Basically looped the chain around the bolt that goes through the bracket and secured the chain to itself using another nut/bolt/washer combo. The passenger side we used the engine mount.

I dunno where your fuel lines are though. Never got that deep into my 5th gen.

fussellbug
10-28-2012, 07:01 PM
If you pulled the transmission cable from the front of the transmission, I'm assuming you have an automatic trans. The automatic only has one control cable. Manual trans would have two cables that connect to the back of the transmission.

For the lifting hooks, one is bolted to the driver's side of the head and the other bolts to the alternator bracket. It sounds like you're missing the one at the alternator so you should be able to hook or bolt to the alternator bracket since it is made to carry the weight.

For the two fuel hoses, the pressure line comes from a banjo bolt on the fuel filter and the return line runs back from the fuel rail and slides over a hard line with a clamp at the firewall.

MCcelica
10-29-2012, 07:18 AM
That's right. The alt bracket is what we used. Alt bracket and trans bracket.

Doowstados
10-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Turns out I didn't need the hooks. I had bought an engine leveler and it had brackets to just bolt right into the head where the hooks went.

Never lifting it up and out again. Do not recommend.

MCcelica
10-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Hahaha, hell. On my 7th gen if I gotta do anything more involved than a serp belt or lift bolts, it's GOTTA come up and out. Haha no room otherwise.

Doowstados
10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Idk of its the same for 7th gen, is your transmission shoved under the drivers side mount bracket? Trying to get around that was horrible. I had to raise the engine, drop the car, raise the engine, lower the car, over and over again and have my buddy keep pressure on the transmission with a pry bar.

Eric Barrera
10-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Now do you know why we all said "drop it under" lol

Hey, the worst parts done. Remember, call me or text me if you need any help man.

MCcelica
10-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Idk of its the same for 7th gen, is your transmission shoved under the drivers side mount bracket? Trying to get around that was horrible. I had to raise the engine, drop the car, raise the engine, lower the car, over and over again and have my buddy keep pressure on the transmission with a pry bar.

It is. We also mounted the chain on the picker such that it actually raised the serp belt side (passenger) of the engine higher than the trans (driver) side of the engine. So the serp belt side had a shorter length of chain. Lowered the car pretty low, but the picker had some more room left. The trans didn't need a prybar, but we did have to navigate the exhaust manifold around the cowl surrounding the rear of the engine bay. So one dude jacking the picker, one dude pulling the top of the engine towards the radiator, and one dude pushing the trans away from the driver side. Lol

fussellbug
10-29-2012, 08:59 PM
I've pulled the engine twice from my '90 GT-S and both times out through the top. Getting it out was the easy part and I did it alone both times. What was harder for me was getting it back in without using a leveler (because I still haven't taken time to buy one) and fighting the transmission back under the bracket. I ended up lowering it as tilted as I could to set it down on the floor under the car, then shift the chain and pull it back up level.

Doowstados
10-29-2012, 10:01 PM
I did it like a moron without removing the subframe though, so I only had maybe an inch of clearance from the transmission and the bracket to wiggle around in. I should have just dropped the whole subframe assembly and put it on the ground.

As far as putting it back in is concerned, is it easier to lower it in or raise it up? I would imagine lifting it up from underneath would be easier?

Doowstados
10-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Now do you know why we all said "drop it under" lol

Hey, the worst parts done. Remember, call me or text me if you need any help man.

Yeah, now that my garage door is broken I can just take it off when I put it back in and have all the clearance I need! Haha.

My hoist hit my garage door while I was lifting it out and broke the wire that holds it up. Whole garage door fell on my girlfriend and damn near knocked her out. Luckily my front two wheels were sitting on the ground next to her and when she fell they hit the wheels and softened the impact...

Thankfully she didn't get hurt at all, just a small scrape on her knee. I freaked out because I thought I had killed her :laugh:

KoreanJoey
10-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Scary...