PDA

View Full Version : It Breaks my Heart, but Part Out or Sell?

joe's gt
10-18-2012, 05:36 AM
So I am getting $3.5k back from the insurance company after the celica's accident.

The car itself right now is in pretty bad shape. Interior can be fixed up to look good, exterior not so much. Suspension is also shot. Motor leaks coolant and oil very bad, but still has good compression. I think the oil is leaking from the oil pan and the coolant is a head gasket leak at the back of the head by the power steering pump. I believe the turbo is also still in decent shape although there is a little more oil in the intake tube than the thin film I would like to see. All that needs to be fixed to make the car driveable after the accident is a bent strut.

I really would not like to part out the car. With all the house projects I have going on right now with a laundry room remodel and garage overhaul, I just don't feel like tearing a car apart. At the same time, I could probably get more money if I did, but I'd hate to dismember a running vehicle.

What do y'all think? Should I sell as is with all the problems as a running vehicle that passes smog or should I go through the trouble of parting it out? How much do you think I could get for a 3s swapped celica in poor condition with a good compression motor? Think I could get as much as $1500 for it?

MCcelica
10-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Pictures of said vehicle and damage would be more helpful.

Hookecho
10-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Go with your gut.

UtahSleeper
10-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Pics help to determine value, but if time isnt on your side and you dont want to fix it, it would make more since just to sell it as a whole and not worry about taking things apart.

Especially if you dont think the car was worth 3.5 before the accident I would just get whatever else you can and be done with it.

joe's gt
10-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Didn't take much convincing, but I agree. I'll probably just fix the bent strut and get what I can get. Car is not worth anywhere near even $2.5k right now.

METDeath
10-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I'd probably pull the motor and swap bits, sell the chassis, find a <1k beater, fix the motor and find a good chassis with a blown or going out motor buy that, and swap it.

If you already have a daily, skip the finding the beater.

joe's gt
10-20-2012, 05:25 AM
I'd probably pull the motor and swap bits, sell the chassis, find a <1k beater, fix the motor and find a good chassis with a blown or going out motor buy that, and swap it.

If you already have a daily, skip the finding the beater.

Not really an option. I would have to go through all the CA emissions approval again for engine swaps because the VIN changed and that would be a nightmare. I am almost positive the engine needs a head gasket and the oil pan needs to be resealed. After that I'd have to hope that solved all the leaks. Even if it did, the rest of the chassis is in bad shape. There are no leaks from the timing area and I solved all external and internal distributor oil leaks. There are no external hose leaks and replaced the HFH recently, so all that should be good.

I am pretty confident in just letting her go for $1000-$1500. I've had her as a dd for 9 years and had my fun. Its just time to move on. Just more work than I want to take on right now. My house renovation has become a priority for me.

METDeath
10-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Not really an option. I would have to go through all the CA emissions approval again for engine swaps because the VIN changed and that would be a nightmare. I am almost positive the engine needs a head gasket and the oil pan needs to be resealed. After that I'd have to hope that solved all the leaks. Even if it did, the rest of the chassis is in bad shape. There are no leaks from the timing area and I solved all external and internal distributor oil leaks. There are no external hose leaks and replaced the HFH recently, so all that should be good.

I am pretty confident in just letting her go for $1000-$1500. I've had her as a dd for 9 years and had my fun. Its just time to move on. Just more work than I want to take on right now. My house renovation has become a priority for me.

Oh... forgot you're in Cali... sell it and buy something you're less likely to tinker with until you get the house done.

joe's gt
10-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Oh... forgot you're in Cali... sell it and buy something you're less likely to tinker with until you get the house done.

Hence why I already bought the '96 maxima. Selling the celica to fund a 1/2 ton truck which I desperately need.

ChrisD
10-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Seems to me like you know what you need to do. It's a shame it's not in better shape, but it is what it is. If it were me I'd probably keep it and do a longer term restoration project on it, even if it had to sit for a bit. But there's a lot of reasons why that doesn't work for a lot of people.

Unfortunately if you do sell it you will be dead to us all.

j/k Joe ;)

Luni
10-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Do what you gotta do man. Just don't stop coming around just cause you don't have one anymore if you do go that route.

MCcelica
10-22-2012, 05:45 AM
If it were me I'd probably keep it and do a longer term restoration project on it, even if it had to sit for a bit.

That's what I did with the 6th gen. She's basically in the position of "As long as she's fixed by the time I move, I'm good. If not, she stays with the house".

joe's gt
10-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Sorry guys, made the decision today, insurance will be coming to get her soon. They still think she has the 2.2L, however, they told me they are taking her straight to a salvage yard where she'll be sold or stripped, so I am hoping it won't make a difference.

Just not worth the hassle of people coming and looking at the car and the extra work I have to put in only for an extra $400-600 I could probably get by selling it.

There's no way I'll stop coming around. This site has been a daily routine of my life for the past 7 years. I was even part of the celica.net migration. I don't see myself not clicking on the new posts link everyday. Its become as habitual as eating and breathing for me.

Doowstados
10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
All is good sir, these cars are addicting. Something tells me you'll have another Celica within a year...