PDA

View Full Version : Snapped CV end, what's causing it?

Physlis
10-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I posted a few years back that my driver's side front CV axle snapped off at the nut, causing my wheel bearing to quickly blow out and creating a lot of problems. The shop that "repaired" the problem ended up changing CVs 3 times before replacing the hub and bearing.

Fast forward to just a few minutes ago: I just got home from work, parked for a bit, then decided to go to the store when I started hearing a strange rattle. Made it around the block and back to the house, pulled the wheel and lo and behold, there's the end of the CV in the rim. Obvioulsy something is causing this but I don't know what, especially since it lasted well over a year or two before happening again. I'm pretty sure I caught it quick enough to avoid bearing damage but this is something that needs resolved before it happens again.

Current suspension settings include:
-Megan Racing coilovers, stock spring settings, street/auto-x damper setting
-40psi on all corners
-ACE Engineering underbody brace
-ST swaybar
-slight neg camber and 0* toe

Anyone else have this problem, and if so more than once?

Doowstados
10-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Well, considering your suspension is basically stock I would suspect the Megan's. Not a whole lot else that could be causing it. Are they dampening properly? When you hit a bump do you feel anything strange in that corner of the car?

Luni
10-15-2012, 05:14 AM
I seriously doubt its the suspension causing this.

When the shop fixed it before, what kind of CV did they put back on there? Parts store one or an OEM one, or used or what?

Physlis
10-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I doubt it's the suspension as well, I know there's enough other people on here with the smae parts and idk if they've had issues.

The first time this happened they tried throwing parts at it and used a couple different manufacturers for the CVs because we thought it was the quality, eventually they found that the spindle was bad and they couldn't replace that. I had to buy a new knuckle and spindle from a junkyard, but I'm thinking they ordered me the best "parts store" one they could, I dont think they got a genuine Toyota one. Either way this one lasted me a good 2-3 years easily and I've done work on that side a few times between without any issues.

IDK if it's notable but a month or so ago I noticed that the end that goes into the transmission had pulled out past one of the snap rings (had a 1/2" or so of play) and I found it when it leaked most of my trans fluid and I obviously had to take everything apart so I could pop it back into place. Could the combo of an "old" part and me hammering it in (using a rubber mallet) have caused it to lose some of it's strength?

It just baffles me what brought this on, my only hope is that I caught it fast enough that it didnt screw me out of another spindle and bearing...

85gtsblackman
10-16-2012, 08:38 AM
my stx i sold went though about 8 wheel bearings in a year, i replaced the axle, hub/knucle assembly and that fixed it

ive found parts store axles to be getting more n more shittier over the last few years :/

i had an autozone axle snap when i dumped it into 2nd, got another and never had a problem again so its hit or miss

Physlis
10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Yea, in this case should I go the safe route and replace the bearing while I'm at it? I only went around the block once I noticed it but I really don't want to shell out another $140+ for a new hub either.

Physlis
10-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Talked with one of the experienced mechanics in my shop, he said it sounds like the nut might've been over-torqued but to check the bearing for play when I go to install the new CV I picked up today. Hopefully I won't need it but if I do need a new bearing, hopefully that's all I need and not a new spindle again.

joe's gt
10-17-2012, 04:55 AM
The first time this happened they tried throwing parts at it and used a couple different manufacturers for the CVs because we thought it was the quality, eventually they found that the spindle was bad and they couldn't replace that. I had to buy a new knuckle and spindle from a junkyard, but I'm thinking they ordered me the best "parts store" one they could, I dont think they got a genuine Toyota one. Either way this one lasted me a good 2-3 years easily and I've done work on that side a few times between without any issues.

I'd bet be willing to bet the fact the knuckle/hub assembly is not genuine toyota is ur problem. Was it aligned after that was replaced? Can you take pics of the broken shaft? Is it torsional shear or bending and snapping type damage? That should tell you what mode of failure you are experiencing and help you narrow down where the problem might be occurring.

KoreanJoey
10-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Shitty metallurgy of a shitty aftermarket axle would be my guess.

Physlis
10-17-2012, 12:45 PM
I'd bet be willing to bet the fact the knuckle/hub assembly is not genuine toyota is ur problem. Was it aligned after that was replaced? Can you take pics of the broken shaft? Is it torsional shear or bending and snapping type damage? That should tell you what mode of failure you are experiencing and help you narrow down where the problem might be occurring.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it was more of a shear than a break, but I'll try to get a pic up later. The hub was the original as far as I know, and the one in it now is from Toyota as well. I got another "new" CV from Carquest yesterday and got it installed. There wasn't any play between the hub and bearing and once I tightnened up the nut there wasn't any play in the entire assembly, so I think I'm in the clear on a hub/bearing replacement.

jdm_celica_gts
10-17-2012, 01:06 PM
This same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Replaced a broken bearing. Two weeks later it broke again, about 3 weeks after that I heard a grinding and when I turned into my driveway I heard a pop. When I took off my wheel, the out on my cv shaft came with my tire. Bought a new axle from checker and it has been fine so far.

joe's gt
10-18-2012, 04:24 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and say it was more of a shear than a break, but I'll try to get a pic up later. The hub was the original as far as I know, and the one in it now is from Toyota as well. I got another "new" CV from Carquest yesterday and got it installed. There wasn't any play between the hub and bearing and once I tightnened up the nut there wasn't any play in the entire assembly, so I think I'm in the clear on a hub/bearing replacement.

If you have the genuine toyota hub and knuckle in there then it probably is the axle. The mechanic that you talked to gave you very good advice because if that nut was torqued too much, it could have caused that axle material to yield slightly, in which case if it was already poor quality steel, it was only a matter of time before it sheared off. It really is critical that the nut is torqued to the proper specs so as to not yield (weaken) the material.