PDA

View Full Version : Mega squirt PNP.

fdfx3
10-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Hello, it's been a while. After a major engine failure, I'm now rebuilding my engine, and now I need an EMS for my Celica CS.
After looking trough most of the Ems possibilities out there I found out that Diy Autotune is now offering a pnp system for the Alltrac/Mr2: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtpnp-g2-ts9092-for-the-9092-toyota-mr2-celica-3sgte-p-518.html

I think I'm going to give it a try on my car, but would just like to know if any of you guys have this pnp system on your car or knows someone who does before ordering. if you do what is your oppinion on this ems? does it work well and is it easy to tune? is there something I should know before orderding?
I'm expecting that I have to swap pins to match a Usdm Celica.

Thanks for all usefull inputs on this.:)

Hookecho
10-14-2012, 03:17 PM
It's pinned for 90-91. So if you have a 92-93 engine it will need repining. I'm really not not sure about the difference between USDM and JDM ECU's but I would imagine they have the same pin layout.

As for the MS I know that many people have used it. I haven't heard of anyone using the PnP model though. Can't see why it would be built with anything different than their diy kits other than being PnP.

I personally am looking to buy the diy kit and build my own ECU. It's to simple not to and the kit is only $160 plus the $85 wire harness and $6 data cable. The maps are downloadable from the website. Can't beat that price if you're willing to do some work.

fdfx3
10-14-2012, 04:21 PM
You're right you cant beat that price, but I'm no electronics expert nor do I have the soldering equipment to solder such small components and the time to do it.
My car is a 92 European sold Celica Carlos Sainz, I dont think the pinouts is that much different but the US 90-91 Alltrac doesn't have a watercooled intercooler wich might be a problem?
Perhaps the water pump for the intercooler can be run by the Megasquirt somehow or I can just wire it to run constant when the ingition is turned on.

Hookecho
10-14-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure about the water pump. I'm sure that they could add whatever is needed to trigger the pump. It may be worth calling them to inquire.

I'm thinking about installing the kit in one of my spare ECU boxes and soldering the connections to make it PnP. Honestly though, I've only started researching this yesterday and haven't gotten far into it to really know what is required to make it work. I'm sure the PnP version has all of the kinks worked out that previous installers ran into.

Hookecho
10-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Looks like I would want the PCB3.57 board to use my IACV. Seems as though with the version 3 board fixed the problem with cross talk in the distributor too. Which would have to be true for me to want to fool with it at all.

Hookecho
10-14-2012, 05:34 PM
and I'm sorry to kind of highjack your thread but I was going to start a thread about this anyway. May as well combine them. Also moving this to FI.

fdfx3
10-14-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure about the water pump. I'm sure that they could add whatever is needed to trigger the pump. It may be worth calling them to inquire.

I'm thinking about installing the kit in one of my spare ECU boxes and soldering the connections to make it PnP. Honestly though, I've only started researching this yesterday and haven't gotten far into it to really know what is required to make it work. I'm sure the PnP version has all of the kinks worked out that previous installers ran into.

Interesting project you got going on, I also have a spare Ecu, but I dont think it would be a good idea for me to atempt to build my own pnp, it would be really awesome and interesting, but I dont have the time required for doing something like that right now, as I need the car running asap. And i cannot trust my stock fuel system anymore since that is what caused my engine failure.

I guess you know about the Vi-Pec PNP ECU: http://www.atsracing.net/Parts/Details/EL-VIPEC-PNP
Way easier but it is crazy expensive compared to what you are doing/researching, especially with all the optional stuff. And i guess if you're a DIY type of guy you wouldn't even be interested.

I know it is possible to do what you are talking about, I recently spoke to a guy at a trackday wich build megasquirt's for all kind of cars, he told me that he could build it into a stock ecu case if I had a spare one or would be willing to sacrifice my Ecu case, but it would cost me about the same if not even more than the pnp from DIY autotune does.

fdfx3
10-14-2012, 07:52 PM
and I'm sorry to kind of highjack your thread but I was going to start a thread about this anyway. May as well combine them. Also moving this to FI.

Hehe, don't worry about it, I guess people that are new to this thread starts to read it from the beginning anyway.

Hookecho
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I imagine that even if I built the ecu in the case MS provides that I would still build a jumper harness using parts from an oem ecu and a spare harness. I don't like the idea of hacking up my engine harness. I'm also only wanting to go with a stand alone because I want to get rid of the AFM and have more control over tuning. So I want to keep it relatively simple and cheap to achieve.

To be honest, $900 for a Pnp stand alone is a hell of a good price. MS has come a long way in the past few years and has solved most if the issues that MR2/Celica owners have had with using the system on a 3s.

fdfx3
10-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I imagine that even if I built the ecu in the case MS provides that I would still build a jumper harness using parts from an oem ecu and a spare harness. I don't like the idea of hacking up my engine harness. I'm also only wanting to go with a stand alone because I want to get rid of the AFM and have more control over tuning. So I want to keep it relatively simple and cheap to achieve.

To be honest, $900 for a Pnp stand alone is a hell of a good price. MS has come a long way in the past few years and has solved most if the issues that MR2/Celica owners have had with using the system on a 3s.

Mhm, getting rid of the AFM is one of the things that I'm really exited about. I dont know why, but I also have these obsessions about not cutting my engine harness, so I'm going to use an Ecu extension harness even though I'm going for the pre assembled PNP, probably easier to swap pins that way if I even have to.
And being able to run a BOV without the car stalling all the time should be nice:) I modified my car to run with a recirculating dump valve.

Is your car heavily modified or juts some BPU upgrades?

underscore
10-15-2012, 09:07 PM

The pump could be built into it's own circuit tied to IAT or something simple.

Hookecho
10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Other than exhaust, fmic, and ebc I'm all stock. I have no plans to upgrade internals.

fdfx3
10-15-2012, 10:05 PM
The pump could be built into it's own circuit tied to IAT or something simple.

IAT? stands for?

I dont think it is any more difficult than have the pump running constantly when the ignition is switched on. or using one of the outputs on the Megasquirt.

underscore
10-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Intake Air Temperature. I've heard some pros and cons to the constant run mod. If the MS has a spare output, use it. Otherwise it would be easy to tie the pump to a temperature sensor, similar to the rad fans and stock temp switch.

fdfx3
10-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Intake Air Temperature. I've heard some pros and cons to the constant run mod. If the MS has a spare output, use it. Otherwise it would be easy to tie the pump to a temperature sensor, similar to the rad fans and stock temp switch.

Thanks for the tip,yes I'm pretty sure the MS has spare outputs, I'm no expert on how the water to air IC is wired and works, but I know That the Carlos Sainz has a slightly different pinout. im not sure if the water pump has its own mini ecu or if it is controlled bu the Ecu itself, anyways, I noticed that if the TPS sensor does not read any signal somwhere in between 1-2min it shuts off the water pump untill I blip the throtle again, probably to extend the life of the water pump I guess.

MrWOT
10-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Just use a standard relay and use any switched ignition, maybe wire a switch inline so you can have key on without it running if you want. You want the pump to run all the time anyway.