PDA

View Full Version : Figure 8s

Quakefire
10-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Once again the Bain of my existence. Removing the shock side went fine, it's the other end where it connects to the camber control arm. so far I have broken one three jaw puller, tried heating the joint, hitting it with a hammer (I had a mechanics teacher that had an amazing gift for popping a tierod end out of the knuckle with nothing but a ball peen hammer) Anyone have a magical trick up heir sleeves here?

Funkycheeze
10-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I used a 3 jaw. Make sure you get a good quality one.

Quakefire
10-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Broke a second puller, did of replace the no 1 control arm as well?

Funkycheeze
10-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Are you using lots of penetrating oil? When I did Tara's (we just replaced the figure 8, not the whole control arm) I used a bunch of kroil and then an impact gun on a 3 jaw popped them right off. Where is the puller breaking? Are you buying good quality pullers?

ChrisD
10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I actually had almost no issue in taking mine off. I think I only used the puller on the first one, next one came off with a little tap. :dunno:

Let them soak in some decent penetrating oil, then give it a go. And maybe get a good quality puller.

Best write up going is at Kris K's site:

http://www.gtfours.co.uk/

Go How To > Suspension > Change 205 Super Strut Lower Arms

That might help a bit.

Doowstados
10-12-2012, 07:35 AM
I always just beat the knuckle that it goes through, sometimes takes a while but with a good sized hammer it'll pop eventually.

KoreanJoey
10-12-2012, 07:53 AM
I always just beat the knuckle that it goes through, sometimes takes a while but with a good sized hammer it'll pop eventually.

This is what I do with pretty much any taper fit joint I can get to.

But I use an air hammer.

Quakefire
10-20-2012, 06:58 PM
yeah my lack of air tools makes Dan a sad boy. I gave up on buying a new puller and just rented one and it finally came off (lots of soaking in penetrating oil later) now it looks like I'm replacing the arms as well

ChrisD
10-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the club. That was my summer project. On the plus side, at least it'll be done right, once and for all. It's just a shame how expensive they are.