PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on a potential car trade.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Need so advice/input on a car trade that I'm thinking about doing. As some of you might remember, I inherited my Dad's 2008 Chevy HHR a couple of years a go. It has been a good car and I can't really complain about it too much but it's not really me and I'm starting to have some niggling problems now that you should have on a 4 year old car with 63,000 miles.

I've been considering trading it for a while and have been looking at IS300's. I realize that the newest ones are 3 years older at a minimum than the HHR and will most likely have higher miles. I hadn't had much luck finding any, at least good ones, in San Antonio. They seem to be think around Dallas but that a minimum of 4 hours up I-35.

Anyway, one showed up here in San Antonio Wednesday night and I went and checked it out today. It's red with the black interior, just what I am really wanting. If it was a manual, it would be perfect. Interior is in good shape. It's a 2002 with 121,000 miles. I ran the Carfax and it came back basicly clean and did show a good bit of regular maintenance done at the Lexus dealer. It's a two owner, local car. It's got fairly new tires on it. Everything appeared to be in working order. There are few scuffs here and there but hell it's a 10 year old car.

Here's the Autotrader listing:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=78232&endYear=2013&modelCode1=IS300&startYear=1981&makeCode1=LEXUS&searchRadius=25&listingId=330964493&Log=0

So, what do you guys think, is this retarded to trade a lower mileage, 6 year newer car for this one? It looks to have been serviced fairly regularly and did have any shakes or rattles when I drove it today. I'm also figuring that this mileage on a straight 6, especially a Toyota straight 6, isn't anything to worry about. Also, mechanical parts shouldn't be a problem. I've bee doing a lot of research on these cars and I haven't come across anything really bad and they seem to be very reliable even at higher mileage.

Give my your thoughts and opinions. I'm thinking of going back and looking at it tomorrow. I talked with the owner today and he offered it to me for the HHR and $2500. I came home and ran the numbers on NADA and he's pretty much right in line. He's offering me $6000 for the HHR, which is in the range I was figuring.

Hookecho
09-29-2012, 03:57 PM
While I would want to be patient and find a lower mileage car I would also be willing to do anything to get rid of that homosexual shit box of an HHR. It's a tough decision. To be honest if it were me I would wait until the HHR sells and go looking for a lower mileage Lexus. They are out there you just have to be patient and also willing to travel. It's worth it in the long run to wait. Even though the Lexus is tempting it still has 121,00 miles on it and parts are going to start failing. It's probably time for shocks and struts on it along with other things. I just don't think I could make the trade. It's getting close to Christmas and it's about to be a buyer's market for luxury cars. I say wait.

Hookecho
09-29-2012, 04:10 PM
After doing some browsing it looks like most IS300's in your area have high miles. You may have to settle for what you can find but I still think you could pay less than $6500 for one if you waited. Of course, if the one you are looking at has been very well taken care of then it may be worth it. I just couldn't justify giving the guy $2500 on top of a car with only 60,000k on it.

Murgatroy
09-29-2012, 04:35 PM
You will be getting rid of a crash era GM for an older model Toyota.

While a mantra is to never trade back, in this case, I think it would be worthwhile.

Hookecho
09-29-2012, 04:42 PM
It's only worth while if it is an even trade imo.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-30-2012, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the advice my friends. I'm going to keep looking for a while.

One thing here in south Texas is that high mileage is not unusual. Everything is SO far apart. I've got about a 30 mile commute one way and I never leave San Antonio. It takes me a minimum of 3-3.5 hours to get out of Texas and that is going east on I10 into Louisana. Going back home, it's almost 8 hours to get to Arkansas. Back home in that amount of time I can go from WV to almost Georgia.

Back to the subject though, I have seen a few with between 80-90K in the $8K price range. There's one in Houston with a little over 50K but they're wanting $15K for it. More than I'm will to go right now.

richee3
09-30-2012, 03:51 AM
I used to have an IS 300. Picked it up with 111k on the clock, traded it off after a little over 2 years of ownership with 186K on it. Let me just say, it was reliable as hell. 186K and never once gave me any mechanical issues, or any indication of anything even close to failing (apart from the timing belt starting to look kind of ragged... Original timing belt.) It still drove like it had maybe 50,000 miles on it. Don't get an '01. '02+ only due to several small changes that were made.

Next thought: Any IS 300 > HHR.

(Time for a negative opinion- feel free to skip over the rest of my post.)

Most important thought: I loathed every second spent in that car. It made my life miserable from the day I bought it until the day I got rid of it. '02, 186k, let it go for $3k. Mine had every option except navigation. Give the car gas, traction control shuts you down. Shut traction control off, stability control locks the brakes AND still cuts power, just like traction control. Power was barely adequate. It had enough power to pass on the highway but just barely. 0-60, don't even think about it. It's slow as balls. Power aside, the car didn't even feel good to drive. Steering was weighted well but was very numb. No feedback from the chassis. Hell, even the gas pedal has a spring in it, just so any twitch of the driver's foot doesn't make it to the throttle body, which is half drive by wire and half drive by cable. Push the accelerator pedal more than halfway, a cable takes over and that's the only time that the car doesn't totally suck to drive. The car was aiming for "sport sedan" and it missed that mark terribly. What an IS 300 turns out to be is a good looking Corolla with leather seats and bad gas mileage and outrageous insurance for what you get.

I disliked my IS so much that I chose to get rid of it for an overpriced Datsun with alignment issues from the factory, power window motors that crap out every 6 months, the most inconsistent fuel gauge in the universe, and a cool-looking "Z" placed in around 486 different spots on the car.

I'm sure it's an entirely different car with boost, but N/A, I can't stand the cars anymore. They have a great following and are generally perceived as good platforms, but I've been told that a 3S-GE Blacktop BEAMS Altezza is a whole different beast, much lighter on its feet, and actually quicker. Of course, take that with a grain of salt... I've never left the States to find out for myself.

Bottom line, I hated my IS 300, but this is solely my opinion and should not deter you from getting one. Especially not to get out from underneath the HHR. As much as I didn't like driving my IS, I'll never doubt their reliability for a second. They're a very well-built car, as reliable as any Toyota ever has been, they look great, and have a great stock sound system.

bloodMoney
10-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Wow Daniel.... Now tell us how you really feel :)

richee3
10-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Wow Daniel.... Now tell us how you really feel :)
Well, since you asked, let me just say that I was rather grouchy last night. It was a long week at work. :) Doesn't make me like IS 300's any more though. Lol.

grimmythereaper
10-01-2012, 03:07 AM
i think any even trade would be worth it, like hook said. also if u need me to look at an is300 for u here in Houston ill be then happy to help ya nitro :)

Nitro_Alltrac
10-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Thanks Grimmy. I appreciate that.

I've had some shit go down here at home so trading cars is going to off the table for a while. It's always something. I think I'm going to start drive the Celica more again. The Celica is one of those things where I really want to protect and keep it looking good BUT at the same time leaving it in the garage a lot is not a good idea either as a car is meant to be driven and not just sit. So, I guess I'm going back to driving it a lot more and take my chances. Everytime I drive it I remember why I love it.

The Captain
10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Just saw the ad. God, who would drive a red car?

But srlsy, the HHR is typical GM junk. I think Mattel made the interior. Get rid of it.

Lonestag
10-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah, Richee might have hated the IS, but he didn't have to live with the HHR either.

I would say go with the trade, if nothing, it's going to hold its value better thent he HHR in my opinion.

Considering the HHR only has 63k on it right now, I would say dump it while it is still worth somthing.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Well, I've had some shit happen here at home that's going to force me not to trade for a while unfortunately. The value on the HHR is one thing that has worried me as it's been declining pretty fast.

I definitely agree about the interior. Even for prebankrupt GM it's pretty lame. I don't think even Mattel could put that much plastic inside one car.

Oh well, my current plan now is to do some work to the All Trac and start driving it a LOT more. I've already got it and love the car so no point in letting it sit in the garage all them. I'll keep you posted.

Lonestag
10-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Hate to hear that, hope everything is ok.

Yeah, put miles on the Yota, they like miles unlike domestic cars.

Hookecho
10-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Find the bad part of town, go to the gas station, leave the car running while you go inside.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Find the bad part of town, go to the gas station, leave the car running while you go inside.

That would be basically any where on the south side of town!:cheesy::cheesy:

darthripley
10-10-2012, 09:44 PM
IS300s are nice, but they continue to stay overpriced imo
The mpg's suck on them for being an n/a motor (similar mpgs to the alltrac) & only having 220hp (give or take)

I'd sell that HHR as fast as you can & then shop for a J-VIN yota to replace it at a later date.
If you ever want us to look at a car up here for you just lmk.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Thank Keri. I would really like to unload the HHR while it's still worth something but I'm kind of in a situation right now where I can't move on it.

At some point, I may take you up on checking some cars out for me. There are a couple of lots in the Arlington area that have had some interesting looking rides.

richee3
10-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I was definitely grouchy that night. The main downsides of an IS 300 are poor gas mileage, ridiculous insurance premiums, and overly aggressive traction and stability control (if equipped.)

The plus sides are any IS > any HHR, decent passing power on the highway, looks great, semi-quiet, awesome sound system (for a stock system, anyway), and it's a Toyota. If you find a clean IS, I say it's definitely a good trade. But you'll definitely want to keep the Celica. :)