PDA

View Full Version : EMS options

ericfragola
09-21-2012, 04:17 AM
Hey guys! its been a while. I've taken back up my slow build again and were almost there. The last thing I need is a full ems. I have a 185 block with a 205 head. all wrapped up in a 165 body. It was running today but just doesnt want to stay on. So after endless diagnostics over the past (what feels like forever) couple months, we decided were gonna pull out this old crappy modded 165 harness and just go ahead and do the full EMS. My power goals are 500awhp on e85. I have the supporting mods already. ie) fuel pumps, forged internals, huge turbo, and electronics are really the last thing i need to get it running. but i dont know where to start. ive been reccomended AEM over megasquirt for the fact that theres more tuners for AEM around. any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

UtahSleeper
09-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I would recommend finding some local tuner shops, find one you like and then see what they recommend since they may be the one tuning.

I would say AEM or MS. I have MS on my corolla and love it. May be using it on my alltrac, but that hasnt been decided yet. I will figure that out if I decide I want to try and tune myself or take it somewhere.

vip09
09-23-2012, 08:13 PM
If you aren't doing the tuning, see what they recommend. Otherwise, the haltech platinum sport 1000 and vipec pnp are both really good. If you can find an AEM for cheap that will also work.

gt42fast
01-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Hks fcon plug and play. If you can find an owner willing to part with that good deal.

vip09
01-11-2013, 03:43 AM
Hks fcon plug and play. If you can find an owner willing to part with that good deal.

I think the only people that can tune those are authorized dealers and there aren't very many of those around. There is a reason almost nobody runs those outside of Japan.

ChrisD
01-11-2013, 05:50 AM
I agree with the others on talking to your preferred tuner. I have an Apexi Power FC. Quite a few people won't touch them. They all have their comfort zones, know the quirks of certain software better than others. If it's something they haven't touched before they might have to waste a lot of time on the setup, which costs $$$ and time is precious when you are strapped to a dyno.

If you'll be tuning, I recommend downloading the various softwares of some of the popular ones out there and seeing what you like the best.

I've been happy with the Power FC. It has it's limitations but it is very cost effective and easy to install. Software is simple if you also get datalogit.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

vip09
01-11-2013, 08:37 AM
The PowerFC isn't really cost effective any more. They usually go for $800+ used now, and then you have to buy the Datalogit to do anything with it which is another $330. I bought my old AEM EMS for $800 and I got my Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 for $1100 new.

I did a lot of tuning on the PowerFC back when I had one on my 7th gen celica. The datalogit software was really vague as to what the values were for settings and it lacked documentation. I got used to it though and didn't mind tuning it after a while. If you look at the documentation for the AEM or Haltech they have extensive notes on what every setting does and what the values mean. A lot of people complain about the AEM software, but I've spent a lot of time tuning with it now and I've gotten pretty good at it. I haven't tuned on the Haltech yet because my car isn't running, but I've played with the software and it's very very nice.

For the money, I can't really recommend the PowerFC unless you can get it for like $6-700 (which is what they sold for used back when I had one). These days you can get a brand new AEM EMS-4 with a PnP adapter for around the same price as a used PowerFC that may not even come with a Datalogit.

ChrisD
01-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Good points. I haven't really looked at things in a while. I got mine for a steal back then, I was all said and done for $800 with the datalogit. But ya, paying more than that probably not a good idea since there are a lot of limitations. They definitely aren't very flexible in adding any sort of controls. And ya, I'd agree most of the documentation I have is from other users who have created them, esp. from the rx7 community.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Smaay
01-17-2013, 12:43 AM
cost wise ill agree with the AEM PNP 4. you just have to make a custom patch harness.

Tecker184
01-17-2013, 03:34 AM
I've got the aem ems-4 I like the software, it's very user friendly. The software has its bugs but its still in the development stages.

MrMcQuacker
03-19-2013, 10:44 PM
I am planning on going with AEM piggyback. If I am not mistaken is aem ems 4 piggyback or is that the full on standalone?

Smaay
04-04-2013, 07:09 PM
the EMS 4 is a stand alone for a 4 cylinder engine. the AEM FIC is a piggyback

METDeath
04-05-2013, 02:10 AM
I was about to chime and ask if you wanted full stand alone or just a piggy back, for piggy back the AEM FIC4 seems like a solid choice, and even has a "VTEC" switch you can use for TVIS.

However, I will say this, find the local tuner you like best and see what they prefer to work with... just like everyone above me said.