PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins

MCcelica
09-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Got all my parts ordered today. A little back story first.

Allison Rose, AKA: My 7th gen, has had some transmission problems for a long long time. She wasn't happy with me beating on 'er clear back at the 2010 Dragon. She has since declined in her condition, as would be expected. Until now I have not had the funds to fix her, and I give her respect for even making it this long without fragging out her transmission. In theory, that old C60 should have grenaded months ago as she hasn't had synchros for almost a year. I've been limping 'er everywhere double clutching and rev matching. And now it's getting to the point where the stick is "gravely" between the gears, and double clutching/rev matching is not as effective as it used to be.

Beyond that, there are lots of things that I've known needed done for a long time and haven't had the funds to do them. A lot of this is maintenance items that I haven't done and don't know when the previous owner did them last. So stuff like lift bolts, water pump, power steering pump, axles, engine mounts, timing chain/guides/tensioners, etc.

I have the funds now. Er well, I did untill I gave them all to Lithia. But Tracy has all my stuff on the way, and he did it for almost $1,800 less than the local stealership would have for the exact same parts, so hats off to those guys.

Anyway, I will be pulling the engine and transmission as one, separating them, doing the engine work that needs done while it's all out of the car, bolt the new transmission on, and drop 'er back in. This will be my build/write up thread, and I've got enough parts on the way that it'll almost be like driving a new car except for the bottom end. I'll take care of that when it needs it, but I don't really expect 'er to need it for a while as she doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil between oil changes.

Here's to another 210,000 miles on top of the 210,000 I already have.

CriScO
09-20-2012, 02:33 PM
If you need any help on the weekends give me a call.

MCcelica
09-20-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm lookin to have it done in a weekend. Starting on the 30th, and wrapping everything up on the 1st. If you can make that, let me know. I have a lot of help for Monday the 1st, but could probably use a hand on the 30th. Also, if you have an engine hoist that'd be great so I don't have to rent one. I have a stand, just not a hoist.

CriScO
09-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Lol, I've got a brand new one that's been sitting in the box for two years. Been wondering when I'd use it.

4thgenceli
09-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Lol, I've got a brand new one that's been sitting in the box for two years. Been wondering when I'd use it.

HAH! Can I use it when you're done? I have a '92 Dynasty I want to replace teh timing belt and change

bloodMoney
09-20-2012, 05:14 PM
HAH! Can I use it when you're done? I have a '92 Dynasty I want to replace teh timing belt and change

Eww... Just kill it with fire instead.

CriScO
09-20-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it would cost more to ship than rent one locally.

4thgenceli
09-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Eww... Just kill it with fire instead.

They bought a new car. This one is just sitting in the backyard. They're thinking of just selling it to a scrap yard. i may buy it from them, fix the timing belt and sell it.

Hookecho
09-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Get stocked up on beer.

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Get stocked up on beer.

And lube...

Lonestag
09-20-2012, 08:23 PM
And beer lube

underscore
09-20-2012, 08:27 PM
They make bacon flavoured lube now...

MCcelica
09-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Get stocked up on beer.

As it just so happens, I have a fridge in the garage with this specific purpose. Not a panzy little mini-fridge either. A muh-fuckin full size.

Chris, lol. Didn't know I'd be using your engine hoist before you. Hahaha that's cool though. It'll work.

MCcelica
09-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Today is the day.

CollapsedNut
09-30-2012, 05:00 PM
You ain't done yet?

CriScO
09-30-2012, 08:32 PM
I'd just like to mention that I'm never buying a 7th gen unless I have the money to pay someone else to work on it for me.

And I've seen the truth more times than I can handle today.

Luni
10-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Youre a fucking pussy then. My 7th gen is easily one of the easiest cars Ive ever worked on.

Its EASILY the easiest car Ive ever pulled the engine out of. The ECU and harness is easy to remove, hell, you dont even have to pull the radiator. The ONLY real pain in the ass is leaving the power steering pump attached to the engine.

7th gens are EASY to work on.

Never buy a 5th gen or an MR2 if you think 7th gens are hard to work on.

CriScO
10-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Lol, I <3 how you take everything so seriously Luni. :)

donteatbugs
10-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Leave the fucking power steering in the car. No need to pull that shit

Luni
10-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Lol, I <3 how you take everything so seriously Luni. :)

There wasnt really anything joking about your post man. How else was I supposd to take it?

CriScO
10-02-2012, 02:11 AM
There wasnt really anything joking about your post man. How else was I supposd to take it?
Point taken, I could have elaborated. My apologies.

Though the engine removal itself was actually very simple comparatively, it kind of has to be. It would be such a pain to do anything on that motor while in the car. It's easier than most to pull, but I wouldn't want to pull it all the time, you know? I was mostly joking, but that car did make the fourth gen bay seem extremely spacious. Tight fit in there.

And did no one get the reference to "the truth?" :hehe:

alltracNyx
10-02-2012, 04:21 AM
I laughed when I saw the reference to the truth, and then I showed it to Chris.

As much as you love the truth, you just can't handle it :P

MCcelica
10-02-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm not done yet. My lack of foresight is to blame. I neglected to order the timing cover seal and water pump seal, and apparently nobody in the state of Colorado has either of the above. They will be here in the AM tomorrow. Once that happens, we ought to be able to start slapping stuff back on/in. It was actually stupid easy to do all this stuff. The timing chain they use for it makes it freaking ridiculously easy to set it up. As far as the PS pump goes, that needed to go. It was fairly well toast. Rest of the engine looked GREAT though. I still can't believe how clean it is inside.

Otherwise, transmission is mated up, front and rear mounts are changed out, lift bolts are changed out although upon inspection, the exhaust cam bolt was still brand freeking new and the intake cam bolt barely had some sheering, but other than that they looked flawless.

Anyhoo. Like I said, just waiting on the gaskets. Gonna seal those up, FIP where the block meets the head and such where they both meet the timing cover, slap that bitch on, get the new tensioner on, and PS and water pumps. Then valve cover and that's basically it. It'll just be re-attaching things from there, and throwing the new axles in.

MCcelica
10-06-2012, 03:43 AM
So I've been done for a couple of days. Still had to work and clean up the garage and such, so I've been sparse.

The end result is I have a car that I can shift gears in again. She runs and drives like new. I was having a hard time getting the coolant system burped but I just got it solidly done today. There may be better ways to do it than what I did but it worked. Got it filled to the point where it wouldn't suck down any more, but I still wasn't getting any heat from the heater core. Still had to go to work and almost overheated twice. At first it didn't seem to matter what I did, I couldn't get it burped. Finally jacked it up on my driveway since the driveway is heavily inclined (Blocks behind rear wheels to help the parking brake) and just forced her to choke down another gallon of the juice. Basically just toying with the throttle to get the water pump to move coolant around, then let it sit idling for a bit to take the pressure off the system. At which point the pressure reversed, so I'd pop the cap and watch the coolant level drop. Fill 'er up again, rinse and repeat until the level stayed consistent. Checked the heater system and it was blowing hot.

That power steering high pressure hard line was a mother fucker though. Getting it off was a bitch enough, getting it back on was worse. We partially rounded the sleeve nut getting it off, so it was next to impossible to turn trying to get it back on. The position of the PS pump immediately behind the wall of the passenger side wheel well didn't help either. To further complicate matters, the first two threads on the sleeve nut were stripped off. The thing was, though, there isn't a die big enough or with the correct pitch to re-thread it that I could find in the greater Denver area. So I wound up renting a tap and die kit from O'Reilly that had thread files. The idea was to clean up the threads enough to get just a bite and hopefully that would be enough. The only other alternative was to replace the line, however nobody has that either and nobody could get it until the next day. I had to work the next day, so thread files and a little hope it was. It was just looking like it wasn't going to work, and I said out loud, "God. If I can get this car running tonight, I'll give you a blow job when I die". Literally 30 seconds later it was threaded and moving into the correct position. So I guess I owe the big man upstairs a hummer whenever I get up there.

I didn't take a whole lot of pictures because my timeline didn't allow for frequent breaks, but I have a few. Once I upload them, I'll post them.

Thanks again to Tracy over at Lithia who saved me close to 2 grand on parts over the local stealership. Also thanks to CrIscO Chris for the engine hoist and his help on the first day. Lishapalooza is probably the only one on here who know's 'em aside from Chris who met 'em when he was helping out, but also hats off to the wife's cousin Ryan Iwamoto for all the help (and driving everywhere... it's cool, I filled 'em up) he gave. I'd still be working on it if it wasn't for those three people specifically if the project would have even started at all. I also referenced the BGB here as well as a couple of Smaay's writeups, so respect there too.

With any luck she'll be seeing another run of the Dragon, but this time not grinding gears all the way there and back.

I still won't complain about 211,000+ miles on an original C60. But here's to another 210k+ of abuse!

It is now beer thirty.

Luni
10-06-2012, 06:46 AM
What's wrong with your old trans? What gears were fucked up?

MCcelica
10-06-2012, 08:22 AM
All of them except 1st and 6th.

MCcelica
10-12-2012, 08:56 PM
As promised, pics. Sorry for lateness.

Look how shiny! New trans!
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/75194_10100669585542193_584428630_n.jpg

Since my engine stand fell through, I used some old tires on steelies. Worked well enough for me.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/75180_10100682758987503_1825276353_n.jpg

After the engine was pulled.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/183570_10100669586874523_1870591114_n.jpg

Obligatory "Standing in engine bay shot"
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/400857_10100669586140993_1881440798_n.jpg

Never doubt the superiority of full synthetic oil. She's been running Mobil1 full synthetic since day one (Previous owner used it, as have I) This was taken literally immediately after I pulled the valve cover. There isn't a single gram of sludge in this motor, which I remind you has 211k+ miles on it. Even the lift bolts looked almost brand new.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/395191_10100669587917433_1474968290_n.jpg

Putting everything back in. This is my lady's cousin Ryan mentioned in my previous post.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/302238_10100682759810853_1731735755_n.jpg

Check out the souvenir from the dudes at Lithia! They know me far too well! Thanks gents!
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/254404_10100682757884713_1022584515_n.jpg

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I love Mobil 1. It wins hard. So do the guys at Lithia.

MCcelica
10-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Mobil 1 is the shit man. I mean, I knew ahead of time it's awesome, but even I was expecting some sludge. Like in the cracks or something. But this looked like it was brand new!

And yeah. The dudes at Lithia rule. Got me that sick souvenir on top of saving me almost 2 grand.

FrunkMonkey
10-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the shout out! I am glad that everything worked out so well.

I had a feeling you would dig the camo TRD water bottle.

Thanks again for the order and for supporting celicatech vendors.

-Tracy

Car_Barn_Bandit
10-13-2012, 12:57 AM
When I did my pan last year, the block looked pristine after 20k of Mobil 1.

MCcelica
10-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the shout out! I am glad that everything worked out so well.

I had a feeling you would dig the camo TRD water bottle.

Thanks again for the order and for supporting celicatech vendors.

-Tracy

Hell yeah man, I was probably more excited about that bottle than the transmission. Haha

MCcelica
10-14-2012, 06:22 AM
Couldn't resist. Had to get some extra goodies for Allison.

See, her old headlight lenses were perpetually foggy, wetsanding and restoration kits be tried and damned. They also could not be properly aimed. On top of that, they started burning out. So I got some that could be properly aimed, and could also be seen through. They have some style. LED trim, Halos around the lights. Cool shit. And while I was at it, I picked up some clear corners to replace the two that were constantly falling off (Bad connector bases). Looks much better now.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/548295_10100684431760253_1388632971_n.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/427952_10100684432513743_1988146829_n.jpg

Luni
10-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Whered you get those lights from Seth? Ebay?

Mine are pretty fucked too. Im sick of cleaning them.

MCcelica
10-15-2012, 06:34 AM
Yup. Ebay. Direct bolt in and mostly plug and play. Only wiring I had to do was for the halos. Just hacked those into the side markers really. Although I did use weather butt connectors instead of just electrical tape. Lol

My old ones got an inverse aiming relationship between my lows and highs. The highs were WAY under the lows. And since you can only really aim up and down, if I aim my highs to where they make a difference, my lows were aimed clear into the stratosphere.

Luni
10-15-2012, 06:36 AM
How much were they? Ebay Linky?

Aaron Willis
10-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Mine [headlights] are pretty (ugly) too. Im sick of cleaning them.Have you tried restoring them? Those cheesy little kits aren't all that great, but I have had excellent results with the Helmsman spar varnish method:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/19021-headlight-restoration-new-uv-sealant-idea.html

4thgenceli
10-16-2012, 02:31 AM
I used a turtle wax $10 kit on 10 year old headlights. They're like new.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

MCcelica
10-16-2012, 06:32 AM
I tried a few different things including the turtle wax and meguiars. They usually last about 2 months before it's nasty again. Never tried the Helsman stuff though.

And Luni, this has them at $190/pair. I think I got 'em for like $175/pair. Just gotta watch 'em a little cause there's an identical pair just down the search that had them for $209.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-TOYOTA-CELICA-HALO-LED-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-PAIR-/170877776125?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CModel%3ACelica&hash=item27c91bf0fd&vxp=mtr

Aaron Willis
10-20-2012, 09:17 PM
MCcelica, one of our MR2 customers wants some C60 parts. He needs a C60 shift selector mechanism to convert his C160 to front-shift for use in an AW11. If you are willing to part with some stuff off your old transmission, I can put him in touch with you or vice versa and you can make some of your money back.

The shift selector shaft is held into the transmission by a small aluminum cover attached to the tranny case with four bolts. He needs that cover and everything that is attached to it, including the reverse lockout springs etc inside it. The cover looks like this:

http://www.carpron.com/multisite/d/380023-1/zzt231c6001.jpg

With the cover removed, you can pull the shift shaft out of the transmission. Our friend needs the C60 shift selector shaft and everything that is attached to it, basically as shown in the second photo:

http://www.carpron.com/multisite/d/380026-1/zzt231c6002.jpg

He does not need external cable-operated levers that attach to the selector shaft outside the transmission case.

Sorry to interrupt the show!

MCcelica
10-21-2012, 04:12 AM
I will have a chance to look at it on Monday, to see if it's even in good enough shape to justify shipping. If it is, groovy. I'll post up either way though.