PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my first competition tires?

Lonestag
09-18-2012, 05:30 AM
I am a slow learner.
I'm a thorough learner, but I'm slow.

I've been doing light autocross in the Tercel for the last two years.
Now that Ash has a new daily, I plan on transferring track duty to her Paseo.

I'm going to need tires.

I don't know what I'm looking at, I do know I want about as much tire as I can get in street touring class, so something at least 200mm wide.

Looking at tirerack.com this is the wheel tire combo I came up with wrapping these tires

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Paseo&autoYear=1996&autoModClar=&initialPartNumber=TS005LG&i1_Qty=4&wheelMake=Kosei&wheelModel=K1+TS&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted&showRear=no&dtab=OptionalHardware

In this rubber,

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R888&partnum=95VR5R888&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Paseo&autoYear=1996&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true

I have no idea if that is an informed decision or completly retarded.

These tires-wheels will be track use only, so thats not a problem.

The car is a 96 Paseo.
Any help, much appreciated.

Slider
09-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Street Touring is street tires only. For a sticky street tire I would recommend the Toyo R1R in the 195 variant. The Star Spec is also a great tire but the 195 R1R has a really soft compound, it's actually softer than their 225 R1R which is odd. A ton of cars in the nationals were running the 195 R1R. There's actually talks of the 195 R1R being banned for next year. So if that happens I would say the Star Specs or RE-11 will be a good choice. You're just going to use the tire in autocross correct?

Lonestag
09-18-2012, 05:56 PM
You of course are correct, I was still thinking about stock class where the tires are open I think.

Tires will be autocross and maybe an occaional drag only.
I do often drive to the event (Less the forty miles round trip), but that would be the extent of it, trying to make them last.

Here are the rules and restrictions

14.3 TIRES
Tires must meet the eligibility requirements of the Stock category with
the following additional restrictions:
A. Tires must be mass-produced standard production tires designed
for normal highway use on passenger cars. Low volume and/or specialty
tires will be specifically excluded below.
B. Tires may have section widths up to and including the following:
STF (Class I Will Run) , STC, STS, STR (AWD) – 225 mm
STX (AWD), STU (AWD) – 245 mm
STR (2WD) – 255 mm
STX (2WD) – 265 mm
STU (2WD) – 285 mm
C. Tires must have a minimum UTQG treadwear rating of 140 and a
minimum molded tread depth greater than 7/32” as manufactured.
D. Tire models must not appear on the following list, which may be
altered at any time by the SEB upon notification of the membership.
Pirelli P Zero Corsa

Any input on the wheels? I was shooting for light and wide. Very low power, small displacement car, so adding lightness is my best mod.

ALSO:
This care is only getting light suspension modification, I cannot imagine it will be dropped more then 1.5 inches ever. I don't know if that is even a factor, but that shows how much I have to learn.

underscore
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
You could also get some cheap, second hand rims and tires for transportation, and keep the good tires for racing.

Lonestag
09-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Well I do have a set of road tires for her, just a little much to load into the trunk of the little Paseo (along with all the equipment to change once there).

At some point, I'm going to get a support vehicle though.

Slider
09-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Any input on the wheels? I was shooting for light and wide. Very low power, small displacement car, so adding lightness is my best mod.

ALSO:
This care is only getting light suspension modification, I cannot imagine it will be dropped more then 1.5 inches ever. I don't know if that is even a factor, but that shows how much I have to learn.

Take a look at the Konig Lightspeed also, they're half an inch wider but a couple pounds heavier. Not sure on what offset and how much clearence you have between the rear strut. I'd rather have a wider wheel than a lighter one. A wider wheel will put proper tension on the sidewall giving you better feedback and quicker turn in, makes you feel more connected with the car. 7.5" is max in your class so I would run that.

With suspension you don't want to lower it too much, past a certain point the suspension geometry isn't optimal. Not sure on your options for suspension or how much you want to spend. I would see if you can get some Ground Control coils tell them what you're using it for and they can recommend some spring rates. Or do some searching on google to see what other fwd guys are running. Also try to get a good performance alignment, get some camber in there. Not sure if there's camber plates available for the car but get those if you can. Or if you buy coilovers sometimes those have camber plates that come with them.

celica9303
09-19-2012, 03:26 AM
Who is this "slider" guy again? You still got the gt?

Any way slidet knows his stuff.....

Hirogodsend
09-19-2012, 04:15 AM
If you are going to run in stock, you might as well go in all the way and get these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+Z214&partnum=05ZR5Z214C71&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYear=1996&autoModel=Paseo&autoModClar= or the Hoosiers a6's if money isnt a problem, and if you are going to run in a Street tire class the dunlop star specs are always a good choice.

Slider
09-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Who is this "slider" guy again? You still got the gt?

Any way slidet knows his stuff.....

Yup still got it, it is my daily driver, sadly the salty Chicago winters haven't been to kind to the underbody.

KoreanJoey
09-19-2012, 04:52 AM
What's the bolt pattern? And yes, the 195 Toyo is a fucking cheater tire...

Lonestag
09-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Car comes stock with 4x100 bolt pattern riding on 14x5.5 wheels.

As far a suspension goes, I don't want to spend a whole lot (spending preference goes to wheels / tires at this point) so probably just some slightly stiffer springs and shocks.

There are a couple of autocross guys at the local tire discounter, might go there for the alignement.

Is there such a thing as too much wheel-tire? Every part on these cars are cheap and dainty, i'm ok beating on it, but I don't want to deastroy the whole car every other event.

KoreanJoey
09-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Tire rack sells some wheels for the miata/civic that works well, are cheap and fairly light.

Look under a 1999 Mazda Miata. I have no idea what the offset you need is but I'd check that out.

And yes, there is such a thing as too much tire, but you've got a long way to go.

Lonestag
09-21-2012, 05:43 AM
I'm having a heck of a time finding the stock offset for the Paseo. I'm seeing a lot in the 38-44mm range though.

Ok, more informed decision

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=C157542400CG&wheelMake=TRMotorsport&wheelModel=C1&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=Miata&autoYear=1998&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Weight

with these?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&partnum=95VR5Z1SS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=1998&autoModel=Miata&autoModClar=&wtpackage=true

Or will I really be missing out if I don't go with the Toyos?

And yeah, tell me about camber. How much would you say would give me just a taste of difference? I'm going in for the alignment, so I want to set it out just a little. But I really don't want to change too many variables at once. Plus, this car will still be seing some road use still, so I don't want anything too extreme.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

KoreanJoey
09-21-2012, 05:50 AM
Camber doesn't really wear tires all that bad. It's the toe settings that scrub tires. You're going to have to play around with it. Invest in a pyrometer in order to gauge how the tires are being used.

The spring rates are going to be a big deciding factor on your alignment. Generally speaking, the more spring, the less camber you need. Still I'd looks around the 2.5-3 range with the front and somewhere in the 2-2.5 range in the rear. Once you get the wear correct on the tires, tune with shocks.

Mafix
09-23-2012, 09:50 PM
38mm should be stock wheel offset

Lonestag
09-25-2012, 03:47 PM
I think i'm going to give this set up a try. Wheels say they won't be in stock until the 1st though.
Hope it doesn't make me miss the last event of the year (I guess I'll just go with crappy rubber otherwise).

Anyone have experiance with tire rack ship times?

KoreanJoey
09-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Check out the TRM wheels dude. Cheap, not heavy.

Lonestag
09-26-2012, 04:29 AM
As long as i'm not confusing my vendors, thats where I landed on my second shot.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ll&sort=Weight

Only about 7 pounds more heavy then my first choice, and i'm paying about $150 less, so i'm ok with that.

KoreanJoey
09-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Linky no worky.

Lonestag
09-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm having a heck of a time finding the stock offset for the Paseo. I'm seeing a lot in the 38-44mm range though.

Ok, more informed decision

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=C157542400CG&wheelMake=TRMotorsport&wheelModel=C1&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=Miata&autoYear=1998&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Weight

with these?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&partnum=95VR5Z1SS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=1998&autoModel=Miata&autoModClar=&wtpackage=true

Or will I really be missing out if I don't go with the Toyos?

And yeah, tell me about camber. How much would you say would give me just a taste of difference? I'm going in for the alignment, so I want to set it out just a little. But I really don't want to change too many variables at once. Plus, this car will still be seing some road use still, so I don't want anything too extreme.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Wierd, maybe I copied wrong. Same as the ones from my earlier post above though. Just checked the link again, should be functional.

KoreanJoey
09-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Ah, yes. I'm running the 15x9s with an adapter on the AE86.

Lonestag
09-27-2012, 04:54 PM
well, now not showing available until the 15th. I guess I'll run on my crappy tires one more time.

Lonestag
10-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Still not available...

:-(

KoreanJoey
10-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Get the toyo 195s and the 15x7s and call it a day.

Lonestag
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Not going to make it for the Auto X this year anyway, you think i'm really better off?

Either way, I'll trust the racer.

KoreanJoey
10-18-2012, 12:07 AM
On a lightweight car the 195 toyos are hard to beat for a street tire. Take a look at STS, STC and STF class winners.

The 7.5s would obviously be better than the 7s. The toyos don't seem to care as much as say the (wider) dunlops or the hankooks.