PDA

View Full Version : Standard strut mounts or camber plates

Nitro_Alltrac
09-16-2012, 11:42 PM
I've got my Koni's for the front and back now and want to get them on the car. I need to replace the upper mounts as the rubber is starting to crack and don't want to have to do this twice.

I'm finding that I can get universal camber plates for pretty much the same price as I'm finding for the rubber mounts.

What do you guys think about going with the camber plates? I don't mind a firmer ride and I'm not daily driving it like I used too. I'm mostly going to be using it for spirited weekend drives through the twisties. Do you all think that I'd be ahead to go with camber plates or just go back with the rubber mounts?

alltracman78
09-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.
Except for the universal part. Depending how good they are, you may regret it down the road.

I left the camber plates on mine, even though I pulled some other stuff off.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-18-2012, 12:11 AM
These are the ones that I'm looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-89-Toyota-MR2-AW11-Adjustable-Camber-Plates-Universal-Fit-/120966337929#vi-content

I've found some good reviews on a couple of over forums. The Cobalt/J Body guys seemed to like them as did some of the Nissan guys.

Would these be of any use on the rear or should I just get the standard mounts. I'm not sure if adjustment would be of any use on the rear.

Terracar
09-21-2012, 08:07 PM
On the link you supplied - they are for MR2s. Also for those you will need to drill your own mounting holes - I am not a fan of this.

-Terracar

bloodMoney
09-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Why not? As long as the measurements are good and you press studs into the plates, you should be good.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Yea, the listings have different models listed in the heading. There all the same plate that you drill the mounting holes in. I took their measurements and checked my strut tower. It looks like they should fit OK without have to cut them down any. I think it would be just getting them up in there square and getting the holes marked. I think I may go ahead and get them for the front. I'm not sure if they would be of any advantage in the rear. I'm also concerned that in the rear I would have to cut them down some to get them up in there. I still need to measure back there.

bloodMoney
09-24-2012, 12:26 AM
I would just get some crash bolts for the rears.

KoreanJoey
09-25-2012, 06:08 AM
I used KSport mounts for mine. But I did have to machine the center bore/bushings.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-29-2012, 03:39 AM
I finally just broke down and bought the KYB replacement mounts. I really debated going with the front camber plates but finally decided to go the easy route.