PDA

View Full Version : 1990 GT-S with Beams Redtop 3S-GE swap

fussellbug
09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
My swap is nearly done and I haven't taken time for pictures along the way but here's the current status of my Celica.

1990 Celica GT-S, white exterior, blue interior originally 2.2L 5S-FE with Automatic Trans, now 2.0L VVT-i Beams 3S-GE with manual transmission.

Bought the car in 2005 for $600 from a guy who let it sit a couple of years in his yard with 154k original miles on chassis and almost no visible rust. It ran rough and noisy after allowing the engine to sit for a long time and had some noise from the head (later discovered missing exhaust manifold stud that may have been the cause). Amazingly the car only needed a jump start to get it running, but with 4 flat tires it had to be trailered home. My friend had a 5S-FE sitting in his garage that he had pulled from a '93 Camry so I picked that up cheap and as I had time did a motor swap to get the car ready as a daily driver. The engine replacement and a set of 7th gen GT-S wheels put me ready to drive and I used the car off an on for a couple of years until 2007 when a major problem developed. The transmission started making some terrible noise indicating it was nearing the end of it's life, so I bought myself an inexpensive daily driver and put the Celica in the garage until I had time, money and a plan for what to do with it next. It wasn't until after I moved in 2010 that I had enough time to figure out what I really wanted to do with the car. I had some upgrade parts on hand and plenty of time to work on the car, so I got to work and did some research to see what other people have done. I knew from the beginning that I didn't want a turbo engine but the 5S-FE would always be under powered for the weight of this car. Then I found an article about a swap done by Dr. Tweak in a '93 convertible. His customer had sourced a Beams Redtop and Dr. Tweak did the install. It seemed like a simple swap (and for the most pat it is), so I was immediately sold on the 197bhp rated engine.

When I bought my engine it came with the transmission, exhaust b-pipe, ECU and uncut engine harness. All I needed now was a lot of patience the wiring magic of a Dr. Tweak harness conversion and lots of hard to find parts. Since I was converting from Auto to Manual transmission I had to change out the left side motor/trans mount and rear mount bracket, swap the shifter and cables, swap the brake pedal and add clutch master cylinder and pedal. The hardest of these was definitely running the shifter cables. While I had the car laid up anyway, I decided to do a complete suspension rebuild with SuperPro polyurethane bushings front and rear, Whiteline swaybars front and rear, and a set of Megan Racing coilovers.

The engine is in now and runs, I've finished most of what's needed to get back on the road and I've finally run low on funds. I'm not done by a long shot but by the end of the year I should be driving it regularly again.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/2/0/5/first_pic.jpg

fussellbug
09-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Installed upgrade parts:

-BEAMS 3S-GE engine with S54 manual transmission
-OEM timing belt, tensioner, idler#1, idler#2
-OEM Water pump
-Spec Stage 1 Clutch ST621-5S
-Spec Flywheel ST33S
AISIN clutch master cylinder
-AutoPWR Dual Row Radiator
-Pacesetter 88-1408 Monza Exhaust System
-Vibrant bottle style resonator 1790
-Magnaflow catalytic converter 91005
-Jspeed Front 3-Point Tower Brace
-Cusco Rear Tower Brace
-Super Pro SPF1435K Control Arm Lower Front Bushing
-Super Pro SPF1320K Control Arm Lower Rear Bushing
-Super Pro SPF0823K Trailing Arm Bushing
-Whiteline BTF62 Front Sway Bar 27mm
-Whiteline BTR62 Rear Sway Bar 18mm
-SuperPro SPF1221K Rear Control Arm Inner Rear Bushing
-SuperPro SPF2730K Rear Control Arm Inner Front Bushing
-SuperPro LP8029 Front Swaybar link
-SuperPro LP8001 Rear Swaybar Link
-Megan Racing MR-CDK-TCE90 Coilover Kit
-Speed-Source Crossmember Bushing kit
-ST185 brake calipers front and rear
-Steel braided brake lines
-G2 caliper paint (silver)
-SP-Performance Diamond Slot rotors front and rear
-Torque Solutions Delrin Shifter Calbe Bushings
-Megan Racing 7th Gen Short Shifter SS-TCE00
-Redline Goods custom leather shift boot
-K&N RR-3001 Reverse Conical Universal Air Filter
-Autocraft Gold Battery
-OEM clear front corner lights

fussellbug
09-16-2012, 08:19 PM
So now I need to refill my transmission after replacing the drivers side axle seal and then get it to a muffler shop to weld up the cat and resonator. Other than that, I still have some tweaks to do on the short shifter to smooth it out but it should be ready to drive.

Next on my list after that is to source an All-Trac front bumper. I'm trying to put together this front bumper style and have already bought the lights and light surrounds:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/2/0/5/gt4front1.jpg

Hookecho
09-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Reserved for cracking an egg.

Hookecho
09-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Congrats. Swaps are always rewarding in the end. Don't forget to do the mod delete mod before the test drive.

fussellbug
09-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Finally got my transmission refilled, short shifter better sorted out and finally put the hood back on. Now I'm out of money and will have to wait a bit to get the exhaust welded up. I guess in the meantime I should give it a bath and maybe a coat of wax since I have plenty of time to and no new parts.

fussellbug
10-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Located a set of fog light brackets for my round JDM fog lights and got a set of System10 door panels and speaker boxes. A little work on the speakers, and then I'll spend some time pulling the doors apart and running the wiring for my JDM folding mirrors while the door panels are off.

Lonestag
10-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Just read through all this, going to be a sweet build once it is done!

richee3
10-31-2012, 10:14 PM
That Redtop looks right at home in your engine bay!

Eric Barrera
10-31-2012, 10:21 PM
For the Fog light set up, you can use a Front bumper from a 93 GTS with the hidden fog light look, and swap the grill covers, or you find the actual Bumper.

Goodluck man, it took me a year to find mine.

fussellbug
10-31-2012, 10:30 PM
That Redtop looks right at home in your engine bay!

It fits just like the 5S-FE did. The hardest part of the swap is wiring and I paid Dr. Tweak to convert the harness so even that was easy.

For the Fog light set up, you can use a Front bumper from a 93 GTS with the hidden fog light look, and swap the grill covers, or you find the actual Bumper.

Goodluck man, it took me a year to find mine.

I already have the fog light surround inserts for the bumper, just haven't bought the bumper itself yet. When I get some money again, I'll finish my exhaust work then buy the bumper.

fussellbug
02-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Finally got the bumper I wanted and put it on this week along with the EDM/JDM clear corner lights. It looks like a completely different car. Really love the new look.

CollapsedNut
12-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Hows this running? Any updates?

fussellbug
12-10-2013, 02:40 AM
I drove it to a shop and had the exhaust welded up in July then had overheating problems coming home and had to leave it at a gas station to cool down. I was able to get it home the last couple of miles after it cooled down but found that the coolant had brown residue and gas bubbles coming up out of the radiator (head gasket). I didn't have time to work on it then, as I moved from GA to VA in August, then had to order parts from overseas and have been procrastinating pulling the head. Now that it's cold, I'll most likely put off the head gasket change until spring.

CollapsedNut
12-10-2013, 02:47 AM
Word. Just checking. Hope you get it all straightened out.

goons91gt
11-03-2014, 05:21 AM
Great love what you have done looking to do exactly the same thing you did to my 91 for the same reason so of you have any tips or anything I should be aware of before I do my swap that would be great car looks beautiful can't wait to see it finished