PDA

View Full Version : School Me.

CriScO
09-09-2012, 01:42 AM
So the Rav has a tape deck. See where this is going?

What are the decent head unit brands these days? Keep in mind I'm cheap and don't need much. I don't do subs or anything, I'll be retaining the original speakers. Only real requirement is an SD slot and good format capability. I've been mostly happy with the cheap Dual deck I've got in both the fourth gens, except you have to be picky with the MP3 encoding and file structure.

Oh, and does anyone know if it has the same harness as the fourth, fifth, and sixth gens? Just hoping because I've probably got a couple lying around.

METDeath
09-09-2012, 01:59 AM
I like Sony and Pioneer decks, is that a double din or single din deck?

CriScO
09-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Double, but I have no issues doing a pocket.

METDeath
09-09-2012, 11:54 AM
I think Cappy found a nice cheap double din that had SD and iPod (internal pocket). It's what he put in the vert.

The Captain
09-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Boss 865. Only problem is it doesn't dim.

CriScO
09-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Where'd you get it Cappy?

And actually, where are good places for deals on stereos? I was looking at Amazon but anything at a price I liked I'd never heard of. Of course I haven't hit the Ebay yet, but that will be easier when I know brands and types I'm looking for.

underscore
09-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Crutchfield sells tonnes of audio stuff online.

METDeath
09-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Crutchfield sells tonnes of audio stuff online.

Crutchfield is good for research... they are rarely good for buying. Cris, what sort of budget are you working on here?

CriScO
09-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Lol, as cheap as possible! Under $100 would be nice, but I'd go to $150. My credit sucks, our finance guy is obviously a miracle worker but payments on this thing aren't cheap. Plus I couldn't resist and just dropped $200 on an intake.

Siyx
09-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Why has nobody mentions a tape to headphone plug adapter and an mp3 player yet??
Adapter = $5-10 at almost any surplus store.
MP3 player = $20-?? at any deal store. If you dont already have one.
you said you were keeping the speakers anyways, no amps. save time doing this = no wiring, no new deck .... and the upside is you will be the only person on the road who can still play their old cassettes !!!
:)

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
^win

METDeath
09-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Lol, as cheap as possible! Under $100 would be nice, but I'd go to $150. My credit sucks, our finance guy is obviously a miracle worker but payments on this thing aren't cheap. Plus I couldn't resist and just dropped $200 on an intake.

You're retarded.

Also, go with the tape adapter.

CriScO
09-11-2012, 03:55 AM
You're retarded.
You should know to expect no more of me than that by now. ;)

An adapter/player combo is too much of an annoyance. Been there, done that. My cheapness doesn't extend quite that far. Excellent idea cost wise though.

Lonestag
09-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Ok, so if you don't want a tape adapter, get this.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Premier-Wireless-car-MP3-FM-transmitter-with-remote-control/_/N-26fz?itemIdentifier=263153_0_0_

one of the best $15 i've ever spent. Has a remote, reads memory cards, usb drives, takes up no space, no wires, etc....

OR, if your cheap like me, but listen to enough music to justify somthing that doesn't have to compress everything down to the FM band.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7247034&CatId=5243

Besides, CD players opperate with fragile little plastic cogs, gears and sensitive lasers, the first time you do a tripple back flip over a mountain range in that thing, the CD player you are thinking about installing is just going to crap out anyway.
stay away from moving parts, be a boss.

Thats my drunken advice at least.
Considering I don't think i've ever met you sober, it seemed aprop.

CriScO
09-11-2012, 04:56 AM
Yes. A brand I've heard of with what I want. Thank you Eli, I may not get that one but I know they exist.

Lonestag
09-11-2012, 05:55 AM
I got one for the Paseo, i'll let you know how it works out.

My idea is that it is great for a car that does see some track duty but still gets driven to Krogers a lot. Really light, but still makes noise.

And really, who here hasn't already sat down and thought that they really ought to get their entire CD collection digitized anyway.

Luni
09-11-2012, 04:22 PM
You guys are all a bunch of cheapass noobs (except for Captain)

There arent many headunits out there that have SD capability, most these days have flash drive (or you can use an SD card in a reader as a flash drive) capability. With that said, Kenwood is the only company that actually does something to make their headunit read a flash drive in a user friendly fashion (they read the ID3 tags like an IPOD and create a database file on the flash drive so you have artist/album/genre type capability.)

So with that said, go with Kenwood. I bought a badass Kenwood headunit that does everything I want it to, it was only 200 bones. I have a 32 gig flash drive in my glovebox, it has bluetooth A2DP support it will directly control the Pandora app from either iPhone or an Android phone, etc.

Ill show you what I have, but any current Kenwood unit that has USB will use this program to format the flash drive to be read nice.

My headunit is a Kenwood KDC-X996 - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XJytPoH0eHZ/p_113KDCX996/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X996.html

You can get those on Amazon for 200 bones refurbished. Thats what I did.

UtahSleeper
09-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Sony also does what you listed luni. Or it acts like it does with my thumb drives. The only issue is when you add too many folders it gets weird. May have changed in the last 2 years though.