PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Celica GT won't start and alarm won't shut off....

Captain_Hero
09-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Basically, I left the car in a parking lot overnight and now I'm having a strange dilemma. The car won't recognize it's own keys and the alarm goes off when I try to turn the ignition. What could cause this? And more importantly, how do I fix it? Is there a fuse I could pull that would shut off the alarm or reset it? Again, the car is a 1998 Toyota Celica GT... Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

underscore
09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
You'll want to find where the alarm is tapped into the ignition and remove the starter kill wires. I swear immobilizers in cars are one of the worst inventions ever.

alltracNyx
09-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Is it an aftermarket alarm? Does it have a remote that is not working? If so let us know what kind (i.e. brand and/or model number). Most aftermarket alarms and remote starts have in-line fuses in the 12v constant line. With the fuse removed from the alarm system, the starter kill function should be disabled to allow you to start the car.

If all else fails, you can follow underscore's advice and reconnect the wires affected by the starter kill.

T-spoon
09-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Er, did you try unlocking, locking, unlocking three times with the key in the passenger door lock? If not, try it

underscore
09-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Is it an aftermarket alarm? Does it have a remote that is not working? If so let us know what kind (i.e. brand and/or model number). Most aftermarket alarms and remote starts have in-line fuses in the 12v constant line. With the fuse removed from the alarm system, the starter kill function should be disabled to allow you to start the car.

If all else fails, you can follow underscore's advice and reconnect the wires affected by the starter kill.

In my experiences, the starter kill is enabled with power pulled (normally open circuit that only closes when the FOB deactivates the alarm).

Siyx
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Another reset for some alarms is to get in the car and turn the key on/off to acc 5 times, this can also trigger the remote reactivation. within 3 seconds of doing that you usually have to hit a certain button on the remote (you may hear clicks from the security brain when that happens).