PDA

View Full Version : 1993 toyota celica st rack and pinion mount bushings

celicaowner808
09-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Im having problems with replacing the rack and pinion mount bushings. the bushing closest to the drivers side is giving me trouble. the bottom bolt is blocked by what looks like a motor mount. How do i access the bolt? any help is much appreciated.

alltracman78
09-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Well, if something is blocking it, you need to move it out of the way. :)
I've never worked on an ST, so I can't give you any specific advice, but if the motor mount is blocking the bolt you need to remove the motor mount.
Sometimes you just have to loosen something so it moves a little bit, other times it has to come all the way out.
Don't forget to support the engine if you pull the mount.

celicaowner808
09-04-2012, 10:09 PM
thanks for the suggestions.

The Captain
09-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I pulled the fore/aft motor mounts and crossmember. You can then pivot the engine on the east/west mounts to give you clearance. I used a short 2x4 to hold the motor while I swapped the bushing.

celicaowner808
09-04-2012, 11:23 PM
ok ima try that. thanks

93celicaconv
09-05-2012, 04:05 AM
Right. The two motor mounts on the sides of the engine (front & back of the engine bay) don't support the engine - they reduce the effect of torsional stress on the drive train (when you shift from reverse to drive, for instance). So removing the engine mount at the back of the engine bay is no problem, and if the engine is still in the way, remove the engine mount at the front of the engine bay and push the bottom of the engine away from the firewall and block it, as The Captain recommended.

celicaowner808
09-05-2012, 04:28 AM
just the rubber for the eninge mount is in the way. ima try taking off the rubber and doing it like that. im sure it'll work. thanks for the help i dont think it'll be too hard.