PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto house speaker hookup

prophet513
08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Okay so my rear speakers have both been destroyed by leaks/rain in my 5th gen ST.. So I took the driver side speaker out a while ago and the passenger side occasionally works but not really anymore.

I was in Morocco last week and almost nobody there had speakers in their car but when they did they maybe had 1 or 2 at the most. And there I saw for the first time in my life somebody who'd hooked up a sony speaker from a house system and just had it sitting in their trunk.

I want to do the same thing and also find a more efficient/spacious way to mount it in my car, but i need to get it hooked up and running first.

So I went to some ghetto pawn shop and got a single speaker for $5. You can see the back and the wires here:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34gvkgz&s=6
there is one solid red one and a black one with a red stripe.

And in the car where the passenger speaker was there is this white wire and a black wire with a red stripe again. These wires are about 2x as thick:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=a4oj92&s=6

Now I tried wiring them straight to the wires and I don't believe i worked.. maybe I did something wrong? I don't think so, but I also know my electrical tape was a little weak but that shouldn't make a difference.

If anybody is POSITIVE about how to hook this up, please share it with me! Thank you! And it's a little old, and not crazy big, so I don't mind if it's "not gonna hit hard" or not gonna be anything really crazy.

METDeath
08-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Car audio is typically designed around 4 Ohm speakers... home theater is 8 Ohm, you'd need to wire a pair in parallel to get down to 4 Ohm and possibly have some reasonable sound come out of them.

Unless you get a 12V automotive amplifier that is 8 Ohm stable.

prophet513
08-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Sorry to sound like an idiot but I'm not sure what that requires me to do ha

david in germany
09-01-2012, 09:57 AM
The difference with the 8 & 4 ohm speakers is the measurement of resistance. The 8 ohm speakers have more resistance so they will be only about half as loud as the normal 4 ohm speaker.
For you to hook this up and have sound, pull the red wire off of the little coil thing in then speaker hole this is your positive speaker wire and the little coli thing is actually a toyota low pass filter. Connect the red speaker wire to this wire.
The other wire in the speaker hole goes to the black speaker wire then you have sound!

Posted from Imperial walker 17a via planetary datcom server

METDeath
09-01-2012, 12:26 PM
David's post is a little more technical than mine. I'd suggest reading up on car and home audio speaker systems and different types of wiring before plunging into this. It may also help you understand why it's a not so great idea.

prophet513
09-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah and I'm not completely sure what david's post is telling me to do. Not sure what you mean by "coil" and then connecting the wire to the removed wire...?

david in germany
09-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Very easy, in your picture of inside where your original speaker was you have a red wire going to the little thing with the wire coil on it and then it has a white wire coming out. Pull the red wire off of the white thing with the coil and white wire. The red wire you have just pulled loose is your + wire that goes to the speaker positive wire which also red. The black with red is your - wire and you connect it to the black with red on your speaker. You will see once you pull the red wire free from the coil that your wire colors will match up.

david in germany
09-02-2012, 04:50 PM
In other words, disconnect this thing, you don't need or want it connected. Use the red wire that was on it.http://img.tapatalk.com/54ad5372-803f-f378.jpg

Good thing I have these sitting around to take pics of. ;)

85gtsblackman
09-02-2012, 05:29 PM
sigh: this isnt 1993 dont run around with house speakers in your car, just buy a set of componets and be done or if your cheap big lots sells speakers

4thgenceli
09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
My brother had an old crown vic wagon. He wired up some huge 5' home speaker boxes. A dozen mixed speakers. Shit was insane

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

MCcelica
09-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I would probably just do it right. Replace the car speakers with car speakers and fix the leaks so it doesn't ruin the next set. But maybe that's just me...

prophet513
09-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Its all a toss up still

prophet513
09-03-2012, 06:55 PM
And david I just don't understand why i'd attach the red wire from the speaker to the red wire from the car if the car wire is not connected to anything

david in germany
09-03-2012, 09:09 PM
And david I just don't understand why i'd attach the red wire from the speaker to the red wire from the car if the car wire is not connected to anything

The red wire in the car is connected to something, it is connected to the radio. It has to come from somewhere right? That wire is like this.
[radio]-------red wire------{little white filter I said to disconnect}------white wire----------(old speaker)

You want it to look like this [radio]-------red wire-----#------red wire---- (big pawn shop $5.00 speaker)
# = where you crimp or tape the wires together.
Sorry but that is the simplest I can explain it to you.

prophet513
09-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Okay now what would you recommend if that didn't work?

I disconnected the red wire, connected that to the speaker red wire, and then connected the matching black/red wires... nothing :(

4thgenceli
09-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Okay now what would you recommend if that didn't work?

Getting a proper car speaker.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

MCcelica
09-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Man, just want to point something out here. Most car audio places will install whatever you buy for free, as long as you buy it there. It will sound better, and it will look better.

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Kids these days.

Luni
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Prophet Im gonna stick my foot in your ass if you dont stop being dumb.

Buy real speakers fix your leak.

prophet513
09-04-2012, 10:17 PM
i understand what you guys are saying but if i could spend $5 and have at least halfway decent sound (as opposed to only two 4" speakers in the front) then i'd like to at least wire it up until i can see what all is going on with this leak which is pretty far down on my priority list for now... and now that i got this dumb ass speaker and i can't get it to work i feel like it's a small challenge i'm willing to take on.. i might go bootleg on you guys and wire up some masterpiece audio work with real car speakers and do some totally different shit because right now my two 4" speakers JUST ARENT CUTTIN IT

MCcelica
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm just not a fan of doubling my work. Whatever you do to the wiring in order to get your cheapo speaker going will eventually be undone and redone properly anyway. Over a period of time, it's actually a waste of money to do it the ghetto rigged way in the first place.

prophet513
09-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm just not a fan of doubling my work. Whatever you do to the wiring in order to get your cheapo speaker going will eventually be undone and redone properly anyway. Over a period of time, it's actually a waste of money to do it the ghetto rigged way in the first place.

well to be honest if it works out decently and sounds decent then it might really stay that way for a lloooooonnnggg time because i don't really care at this point i just want sound until i can get the rest in line

alltracNyx
09-05-2012, 04:25 AM
Prophet Im gonna stick my foot in your ass if you dont stop being dumb.

Buy real speakers fix your leak.

^This.

DiG knows his stuff. If you follow his instructions, it will work. Did you confirm that the speaker worked before trying to ghetto rig it in your car?

prophet513
09-05-2012, 07:12 AM
I did not but i know the guy at the pawn shop so i can go back to him tomorrow if i decide this task is impossible or something.. i haven't tried wiring it through a ($5) amp or anything yet ha

prophet513
09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
so does nobody want to tell me how to do this because they hate the idea or because nobody knows how to do it? or a combination of the two?

UtahSleeper
09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Have you verified that the speaker you are using works? Also, have you verified that the channel you are trying to use for the speaker works?

Normally you can atleast get some sound just by connecting the speaker and turning volume up. If you get nothing, try some of the other channels or a different speaker just to verify functionality.

david in germany
09-07-2012, 09:29 PM
If the speaker works and your deck still works, the way I described WILL work. Try the speaker on another source(like a home stereo) or have the dude at the pawn shop test it. If it works then you may have issues with your deck. Try adjusting your fader on the deck as well. If you don't want to spend any cash on a new deck I have a few Toyota stereos sitting in the garage, pay for the flat rate shipping box and you can have one. The Toyota decks take about 1-2 minutes for me to swap out and if you have never done it, budget about 30 minutes to do it.

I know you are not trying to spend money on this and will continue to help you with what you want to do even though sticking a cabinet speaker in the hatch is not so appealing. A pair of Fisher cabinet speakers in the back of a 1977 280z is how I got started in car audio so I am not going to try to talk you out of it. :)

Murgatroy
09-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Kevin, I still have the 4" Pioneers out of the front of Chaos I said you could have. If you want to make a day out of it, I will install them and wire your ghetto speaker in the back for you.

Luni
09-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Dont encourage him Murg!

METDeath
09-08-2012, 02:30 AM
so does nobody want to tell me how to do this because they hate the idea or because nobody knows how to do it? or a combination of the two?

Because your understanding of the how to is lacking, more likely. If what DiG posted made sense, then you'd be able to do it. Since it doesn't you probably shouldn't do it.

prophet513
09-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks Murg, but I did manage to get some replacements for the front.

My stereo is the factory one too, but I did forget to go confirm that it even works.. Hopefully if they're open today I can go up and ask them to test it for me

underscore
09-10-2012, 07:49 PM
In the amount of time you've spent trying to ghetto rig the wrong speaker, you could've mowed some lawns or something easy and made enough cash to just buy the right speakers...

prophet513
09-11-2012, 12:44 AM
In the amount of time you've spent trying to ghetto rig the wrong speaker, you could've mowed some lawns or something easy and made enough cash to just buy the right speakers...

this is where you missed the part about the leak.. which after checking today doesnt seem to really be doing ANYTHING but messing up my speakers....

underscore
09-11-2012, 12:57 AM
No I read that part too, are you sure that the water is draining from the car properly? Otherwise there could be future rust issues. So personally I'd mow even more lawns (or whatever else you can do for extra cash if you're on a budget) and fix the leak.

prophet513
09-11-2012, 01:23 AM
I checked everywhere my car allowed me to