PDA

View Full Version : Falken Ziex ZE-512 reviews

4thgenceli
08-27-2012, 02:29 AM
Has anyone ever used these tires?

Falken Ziex ZE-512

205/60R-14

I'm looking to put these on Jasmine. The tires that were on it are finally going out (drivers front just separated). The size that was on there was 185/60/14. The spare that was there is a 205/60. I really like how it fills out the wheel well. At the most I may drop the sides 5 or 10 but go no larger than a 60.

pintoBC_3sgte
08-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Had em ... Hated them. Not a ton of grip on wet roads , don't imagine it's all that wet in az tho. Wore pretty quick for my liking. 2/4 had started to bubble when I removed them.

The Captain
08-27-2012, 03:05 AM
I had them on a Benz a while back. Good when new. Great in the rain. They got loud as they got old. Not a long life tire. I wouldn't buy 'em again.

4thgenceli
08-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Yeah, average life I'm seeing (depending on driving style) is 10-15k miles. They're rated for 40k, I may buy them and just run them. Anything is better than what I have now on her. 10k miles or so should get me until at least the winter.

Hookecho
08-27-2012, 03:46 AM
I run the 912s. Good tire for the price. They did well on the dragon for me but I'm not one to push my car hard. they do really well in the rain. Great traction on dry roads. I would probably buy another set as I don't drive hard. They are a good and inexpensive all seasons. They do get loud when past 3/4 tread wear. They don't have thick side walls so the lower the profile the better. If you're running them on 14in wheels then what does it matter anyway. I ran a set on the 626 and had 27,000 miles on them before I sold it. Had no issues and still had half the tread life left.

Hookecho
08-27-2012, 03:48 AM
The ones on the 626 were taller so they last longer. I think they were 65s.

4thgenceli
08-27-2012, 03:54 AM
Thanks Bruce.

I'm trying to keep the $$$ aspect low, so I'll be keeping the stock 14s on it for now. I won't be driving it crazy hard anytime soon, but wet/dry is a high need due to the lovely unpredictable weather here.

Waffles!
08-27-2012, 04:00 AM
I have 512s on the front and 912s on the rear of the MR2. For the driving I do, they're great, granted my commute is 10 minutes roundtrip. When I decide to throw the car around a little, the tires stick enough that I worry more about body roll than traction. I will say they don't like ice (but what all-season does?), but you're not going to see much of that in Arizona. I'd say try them out: they're inexpensive and make a decent DD tire. I had them put on in 2009/2010 (I can't remember) and still have life in them (again, I don't drive very far in any given week). If you want sticky tires, look at something else.

4thgenceli
08-27-2012, 04:14 AM
I drive as much as you do. These should be fine is what I'm gathering

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Luni
08-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Tim Im going to be an asshole and point out a couple obvious things.

1) you spent a bunch of money on the performance aspect of your car. You were all caring about the suspension and all that, you spent all this money on your engine, and you want to skimp out and be a cheapass about your wheels and tires.

2) youre only looking at those tires because there like 1 of 2 tires you can even buy in that size, cause nobody makes 14 inch tires anymore unless youre into racing.

3) 70 bucks a tire is nice, and thats all koo, but dont get complacent and put off getting better stuff later on. With the kind of performance your engine is putting out, you SHOULD have better tires. You SHOULD do something with your braking system.

Im only saying this because we see people do the swap, dump all they money into it and then never address the other aspects of the swap. The engine is just 1 thing. You need to upgrade your wheels, tires, brakes etc to make the chassis keep up with the engine.

With that said, those are good tires for the money, and given that you dont want to buy wheels now, you might as well get them.

underscore
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
All season tires are garbage, I can't believe people still run them on performance cars. If you do want to skimp of cost a bit, get some used rims in a more common size & get some decent summer tires. I've got Kuhmo SPT's on both Celicas, they're pretty cheap in the US of A and they're great in both wet & dry.

Also the stock size for a 165 is 205/60-14, and IMO running anything thinner than a stock tire on the street is, well, stupid as hell.

4thgenceli
08-27-2012, 06:44 PM

1) you spent a bunch of money on the performance aspect of your car. You were all caring about the suspension and all that, you spent all this money on your engine, and you want to skimp out and be a cheapass about your wheels and tires.

2) youre only looking at those tires because there like 1 of 2 tires you can even buy in that size, cause nobody makes 14 inch tires anymore unless youre into racing.

3) 70 bucks a tire is nice, and thats all koo, but dont get complacent and put off getting better stuff later on. With the kind of performance your engine is putting out, you SHOULD have better tires. You SHOULD do something with your braking system.

Im only saying this because we see people do the swap, dump all they money into it and then never address the other aspects of the swap. The engine is just 1 thing. You need to upgrade your wheels, tires, brakes etc to make the chassis keep up with the engine.

With that said, those are good tires for the money, and given that you dont want to buy wheels now, you might as well get them.

You've hit all the nails on the heads. I know I'll need better tires and a braking system. I'm still running stock braking components everywhere excluding the lines (all upgraded to braided stainless steel). The rotors/brake pads/etc are all stock that I had sitting around after the '87 was wrecked. Seeing as how I'm only driving it maybe 15 miles a week, I'm not going to be quite concerned about the braking/grip aspect yet, mainly because I'm still feeling out the car and working out all the odditiys that are coming with it (the clunks, creaks, chatters, blah blah blah).

Evenutally I want to get some 15" rims and star specs under her, but right now the $$$ is not there. These Falcons are better than what I'm running on it now (2 year old hard as hell dry rotting tires) and will last until the new year when I'll have the cashflow available to get it done properly.

MCcelica
08-28-2012, 07:05 AM
They did me well on the Dragon, but like Bruce said, they were low-pro. The life span on them is shit though. The only reason I still got 'em is because I have a separate set of winter tires. The low-pros I use are pretty good for how I drive in that I don't believe in slowing down for turns so I can get out of the way of traffic behind me. (Unless of course the turn is blind, in which case traffic behind me can get blown). I don't find that they do bad in the rain, but they're far from great in it either. (I was able to spin wheels in 5th gear at 40mph on some 1in deep water). But if you're using them as a stepping stone until better can come along, I'd say go for it.

KoreanJoey
08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Jesus... get start specs or something.

BEAMS
08-29-2012, 02:05 AM
I have one of these tires on my car as a spare, since my brand new goodyear f1 gs d3 just blew a sidewall from hitting a pot hole at 3am in the morning. Amazon wants like 400+ just for one of these tires, i hate supply and demand. Im not a fan of the Falken Ziex ZE-512, ran a set for like a week and it hydro planed, made a lot of noise on fast turns, and had barely any grip even on dry. Then again im comparing them to my f1's which is still my fav. tire. I guess for normal daily driving they are fine, i do like the non directional tread but (great for spare).

METDeath
08-29-2012, 03:26 AM

This is why I don't have a swap... not done with the base build of the car.

Hookecho
08-29-2012, 05:35 AM
You don't have a swap because you don't have a swap.

Luni
08-29-2012, 06:02 PM
And you always have some reason why you cant drive your car with its awesome suspension/tire setup in any direction other than slow :p

METDeath
08-30-2012, 12:24 AM
And you always have some reason why you cant drive your car with its awesome suspension/tire setup in any direction other than slow :p

Yeah, said suspension is slightly broken, haven't been home to fix it and found other hobbies than cars.

MCcelica
08-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Like what, punching yourself in the face? I mean, what other hobbies are there?

METDeath
08-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Like what, punching yourself in the face? I mean, what other hobbies are there?

Guns, computers, video games... I have seriously do not have one cheap hobby, even when I was reading regularly, I was buying roughly eight books a month. Shit adds up.

However, car projects are on the list for this weekend.

Waffles!
08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
However, car projects are on the list for this weekend.

And you were going to tell me this when?

KoreanJoey
09-01-2012, 06:14 AM
I have seriously do not have one cheap hobby, even when I was reading regularly, I was buying roughly eight books a month. Shit adds up.

Kindle FTW.

METDeath
09-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Kindle FTW.

Nook Color actually... I hit a slump though and haven't been reading for a while. Ran out of good stuff to read. Also... I refuse to pay nearly the price for a print book for a digital one. So I just use the great library that is piratebay... unless it's really good, then I ask for the books for Christmas and let someone else buy them. Like Song of Fire and Ice.

4thgenceli
09-01-2012, 12:31 PM
So yeah. Just ordered these tires. Getting them installed Thursday.

Luni
09-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Gay.

underscore
09-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Nook Color actually... I hit a slump though and haven't been reading for a while. Ran out of good stuff to read. Also... I refuse to pay nearly the price for a print book for a digital one. So I just use the great library that is piratebay... unless it's really good, then I ask for the books for Christmas and let someone else buy them. Like Song of Fire and Ice.

e-ink > all when it comes to reading digitally.

4thgenceli
09-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Gay.

Staying safe is gay. Got it.

Lolz

METDeath
09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
e-ink > all when it comes to reading digitally.

I don't disagree with you, but I picked up the Nook Color for doing more than just reading regular books.

celica9303
09-02-2012, 03:51 PM
The 912's are better.......you still going to have traction problems eitherway

underscore
09-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't disagree with you, but I picked up the Nook Color for doing more than just reading regular books.

Ah gotcha, that makes sense. I originally started reading on my tablet since I already had it. Once I hit the point where I was reading enough that it was bothering my eyes (mine suck) then I picked up the Kindle. Now I only use the tablet when I travel and don't want to bring a laptop.

4thgenceli
09-07-2012, 03:37 AM
:threadjack:

Just had all 4 tires installed. Guys didn't believe me when I told them it was a low profile car and it wouldn't fit on their 'low profile' lift. They drove it up and on and high sided it on the exhaust. Didn't damaged anything. They backed it out and did it all with jacks (like I suggested in the first place).

They fit nicely, I have a rub though from the passenger front when cornering hard. I'm going to adjust the hardness and level the car out a bit more. This should stop that. First review, HUGE improvement over what was on there. I hear the car over the road.

And I think I found my issue from overboosting...

alltracNyx
09-08-2012, 01:26 AM
My st165 is pretty low, and they had no trouble at all getting it up the ramps for the alignment rack.... It must be because you're still on 14s.

85gtsblackman
09-09-2012, 02:45 AM
damn, i was going to say get the 912's oh well