PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Car suspension parts?

rich123
08-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Hello,

I need some assistance. I need to replace my suspension and struts, springs. I'm not sure what i need to replace my suspension. I was looking at some parts but i'm not sure what parts i need exactly. When i drive i hear a knocking sound and a screeching sound before my car warms up. Other than that he car runs fine. The wheel is not at a point where it's about to fall off or anything when it hit a pot hole/bump or something lol. If anyone can let me know what parts should i buy to replace my suspension. Do i need to buy all the parts ? if yes then what parts, or if i need to buy just some parts only and if so what parts?

Thank you.

4thgenceli
08-21-2012, 07:58 PM
So if I read your post correctly... after you start the car in the morning and start driving you hear a screeching and knocking sound. When it's warmed up you no longer hear these noises?

I don't think that is suspension related at all. Check your belts and oil level. You may need to adjust your valve last or check your oiling system thoughly.

Usually a full suspension replacement runs in the ballpark of $1000. When done though it will eliminate pretty much every clunk over bumps and creak in the suspension.

Galcobar
08-21-2012, 08:42 PM
And unless something catastrophic happened, or you want to lower your car, springs are not a wearable item for cars of this age. Generally, the problem with suspensions are the moving bits in between the solid metal pieces (strut mounts, spring seat insulators, bushings, bearings, valves and the like).

rich123
08-21-2012, 09:55 PM
So if I read your post correctly... after you start the car in the morning and start driving you hear a screeching and knocking sound. When it's warmed up you no longer hear these noises?

I don't think that is suspension related at all. Check your belts and oil level. You may need to adjust your valve last or check your oiling system thoughly.

Usually a full suspension replacement runs in the ballpark of $1000. When done though it will eliminate pretty much every clunk over bumps and creak in the suspension.

Only a screeching noise in the morning before the car warms up after driving it for 10 mins or so. I hear the knocking noise when i turned the steering wheel, usually when making a turn.

rich123
08-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Yea, the springs on my car were cut to lower the car.

4thgenceli
08-21-2012, 10:04 PM
The screeching is your belts. Check out your power steering/alternator belt. They need to be either replaced or tightened.

richee3
08-22-2012, 03:59 AM
You trying to steal my screen name? :squint:

The squealing definitely sounds like a belt issue. Replace both the power steering and accessory belt, as they are too cheap and easy not to replace, especially given the age of the car.

At this point, I would say skip buying any suspension bits and pieces until you can confirm a suspension issue, but... Cut springs are never good. They're terribly unsafe and I advise getting them off your car ASAP.

Does the knocking only occur when you turn the wheels or can it happen when the car bounces?