PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is this noise!

underscore
08-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Car in question: 1992 GT-S, 5 speed, effectively stock
Recent work: New front axle, new steering rack boot
Known problems: Worn out motor mounts

The issue at hand is a strange clunking that comes up at random, it was happening more and more as my axle got worse prior to its replacement. After I got the axle fixed it went away but last night it came back with a vengeance. Now it's worse than ever, I can feel the dull clunking through my feet and when I drive next to a wall or something that bounces the noise back I hear a sort of thin metallic sound. Turning makes no difference and putting the car in neutral doesn't either.

So if anyone knows what the hell is broken or what to check please let me know, because I'd like to hopefully take a Celica to the Ogopogo rather than be the bum showing up in a Honda :nono:

4thgenceli
08-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Sway bar mounts?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

underscore
08-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Do you mean the endlinks or where the bushings bolt down?

Oh and I should mention that it isn't a one shot sound, it has a semi-random rhythm to it, it varies in frequency and intensity seemingly at random. kadunk kadunk kadunk.......kadunk KADUNK.....

Hookecho
08-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Sway bar bushing could be blown out causing the sway bar to rattle against the body. Could be the steering rack mounts also.

grimmythereaper
08-10-2012, 03:47 PM
i agree with hook but also make sure u dont have a fully blown out rear motor mount

UtahSleeper
08-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Could multiple suspension pieces. Get under your car and start checking the shit out. I am guessing sway bar and maybe a hint of worn struts.....but thats just guessing.

aye87
08-10-2012, 06:00 PM
check your wheel lugs, some body changed the axle might have left them not tight

underscore
08-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Unfortunately I can't check out anything today/night because my brother is using both spots in the driveway and left with his keys. Greaaaaaaaaat.

Sway bar bushing could be blown out causing the sway bar to rattle against the body. Could be the steering rack mounts also.

Sway bar bushings would be fine as I have brand new ones waiting to go in.

i agree with hook but also make sure u dont have a fully blown out rear motor mount

Also wouldn't be too bad since I have a new rear mount insert.

Could multiple suspension pieces. Get under your car and start checking the shit out. I am guessing sway bar and maybe a hint of worn struts.....but thats just guessing.

Struts are only a couple years old but they've seen some harsh bumps, I'll check them out when I do the tops (which are old as hell)

check your wheel lugs, some body changed the axle might have left them not tight

There's no vibration when driving but I'll double check the nuts.

underscore
08-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Ok got the motor mounts in after some swearing (I forgot to use grease at first) and the front swaybar bushings in, the new bushings are thicker where they meet the chassis than the stock ones, once I clamped down the brackets the bushings are deformed slightly from being squished - should I add some spacers under the bracket so the bushing can sit properly?

After all this I took the car for a brief drive up the road and the motor mount inserts are AWESOME. But the clunking is still there, it's a lot softer and quieter but still there (maybe from the squished bushings?)

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-13-2012, 08:38 PM
IF you haven't replaced the front sway bar mounts, I suspect them. I am going to go cut that damn bar off once and for all today while I have a chance.

underscore
08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Again, which mount are you speaking of? The endlinks (between the ends of the bar and the control arm)? Those were replaced with MOOG OEM replacements when I did the struts & springs about 4 years ago, should I toss on my GT4 Racing ones for the RC to see if they help the noise?

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
The two underside of the chassis. They get loose and clunk. Mine sound stupid.

underscore
08-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Mine were tight, and are again tight after I swapped the bushings. The old bushings looked pretty toasted though. I'm thinking that since the noise was reduced, either the mounts or the bushings helped things out. See my above post about the squished bushings though, maybe I'll add some washers and see what happens.

Hookecho
08-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Spring seats or busted exhaust hanger.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-14-2012, 02:15 AM
When it got cold, those same bushings on my first Celica became unbearably loud. Sounded like I had a real ghetto ride.

underscore
08-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Spring seats or busted exhaust hanger.

Like maybe the one right near the firewall, roughly where I'm feeling the noise, that I saw was broken off the exhaust and barely attached to the car and thought "huh, I'll fix that later"?

For some stupid reason that slipped my mind but it seems like a perfect candidate because my motor used to bounce around a lot (likely why it broke and made a lot of noise) and now it doesn't move as much (and coincidently doesn't make as much noise).

I WILL INVESTIGATE IMMEDIATELY!

underscore
08-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Exhaust hanger bracket removed, the rubber is totally worn out but the noise is still there. Now it seems slightly more speed dependent as far as the volume goes, and when I put it in gear and rev'd it up when the front tires were in the air, there was no sound.

celica9303
08-19-2012, 03:39 AM
Bad wheel/hub bearing?

underscore
08-19-2012, 10:18 AM
It doesn't feel or sound anything like the other bad bearings I've had but I can check. My other thought was to check the tranny fluid tomorrow, it shifts completely fine but maybe somethings up on the diff side.

KoreanJoey
08-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Strut mounts? Does it coincide with bumps?

underscore
08-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Bumps, turns, braking, acceleration, etc have no difference, but speed makes it a tad louder and more likely to happen (but the frequency of the klunks doesn't change for anything).

underscore
09-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Finally got some time to work on this poor thing. I dearly miss driving it.

I completely removed the front swaybar as I couldn't find any washers, leaving only the endlinks behind. Now the noise/feeling is a lot softer, only occurring above 35-40km/h but it gets faster and a bit louder with speed. As always, turns, bumps, in gear, neutral, etc make no difference.

I'm thinking it's got to be something from the diff outwards?

Rick89GTS
09-13-2012, 06:17 AM
I agree with Celica9303: bad wheel bearings or hub.
I had a very similar noise and changed: end links, ball joints, sway bar bushings, exhaust hangers, torqued the axle nut to spec, rotated the tires, torqued strut tower nuts, removed and examined strut components and a few other things to no avail.

Finally out of desperation, changed the hub and wheel bearing and the noise disappeared. Shaking the wheel at 9 and 3, 12 and 6 o'clock it felt fine - this is not a definitive test of bad wheel bearings! If you can get a spare hub and wheel bearing for cheap, swap it in - it'll save you a ton of time.

underscore
09-13-2012, 07:00 AM
it seems to be slowly going away now that I've removed the swaybar? But when I drive beside a wall or something that bounces the sound back I can hear a thin metallic swishing sound.