PDA

View Full Version : Possible bad waste gate actuator

Nitro_Alltrac
08-05-2012, 08:50 PM
It's looking like I might have a bad waste gate actuator. When I drove the car a few days ago I boosted it to make sure that I didn't have any boost leaks from having the intercooler off. Didn't appear to have any boost leaks but the boost shot up past the normal 13 psi. By the time I got off of it had gone to almost 21 psi.

I thought at first that it was a loose line from the manual boost controller as I have had that happen once. Checked that and both connected. I took my Mighty Mite vacuum pump with gauge and hooked it to the port on the wast gate actuator and it wouldn't pull any vacuum what so ever. I'm thinking I've got a ruptured diaphram in the actuator. Any thoughts on this and if so, any ideas of where to get another one? It looks like you can't get this separate from the turbo from the dealer.

4thgenceli
08-06-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm in the same boat. I think I have a bad actuator as well.

Either find someone parting out, or get an aftermarket actuator. I'm still trying to locate both :)

Luni
08-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Mike, check the TVSV nipple coming off the WG Actuator isnt allowing air out, and check that the TVSV itself is properly blocked off as well.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Will do Rob. I'm pretty sure that the line to the TVSV is plugged but I'll have to go back and check the nipple on the actuator. I've got a cap on it but now that you mention it I think it did look like it might have a crack in it.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Good call Rob. That was the problem. The old cap was in bad shape due to heat and fell apart coming off. Put a new one on and the actuator works fine.

Luni
08-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Somebody needs to make some good high quality vacuum caps for turboed cars.

Ive yet to see a nipple cap be able to hang in the environment of our engine bays over time. For all of my capping due to this, I will plug a some high quality boost line and a hose clamp.

alltracman78
08-07-2012, 02:52 AM
I've used autozone caps with no problem.
This Alltrac doesn't count, because I barely drive it, but my last 2 I drove the shit out of, from NC to Ma and back all the time.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my 92 engine, I'm pulling caps off that are 6-8 years old and are hard but still sealing. :shrug:

And if I give props to an autozone part it better be doing a good job. :P

joe's gt
08-07-2012, 04:01 AM
I've never used a vacuum cap. I always just use a short length of hose and tight fitting bolt. Use it to plug both vacuum lines and coolant lines. Have never had that method fail in 7 yrs.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-07-2012, 04:08 AM
The hose/bolt method is what I usually do but in this case I actually had the caps so I used them. The ones I have came from either Autozone or Advance. They've held up good in the other places I've used them but this one got hard and brittle and had cracked. It came apart as I was trying to pull it off. It had probably been on there for 4-5 years so it has seen a lot of heat as I daily drove the car up till November of 2010. I'll just have to make sure to check it periodically know that I know that can happen.

4thgenceli
08-07-2012, 04:14 AM
I did the hose/bolt method to cap off the turbo return line on the radiator.

PHAIL!!! It doesn't piss out, but it does drip very, very slowly.

Luni
08-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Did you use a hose clamp and did the bolt fit snug? (you should have to twist the bolt in to get it to go)

4thgenceli
08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah I did. I hose clamped on the radiator nipple. I'm sure if I get a clamp to put over the bolt it'll stop.

Luni
08-07-2012, 04:35 PM
^then you cant say its phail you retard.

4thgenceli
08-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Well it is, I've done it before with just a bolt. Not sure why it's not working on this one (maybe because the cap is a higher PSI cap than on the other one).