PDA

View Full Version : WTF crack was Honda on when they designed the last carbd Accord? Que rant.

MrWOT
07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
My wife has an 88 Accord, 2.0 with a carb.

Great little car, decent mileage, crap power, but very reliable. Until last week when the fucker just started refusing to run.

The problem is in the carb, but fuck all if I can figure out what's wrong. And the carb is less than a year old, installed by previous owner just prior to my honey purchasing it. Damn idle circuit won't flow fuel. New pump, new filters, verified flow and bowl is full via sight glass, but it won't idle.

Can keep it running by via the accel pump if you keep stabbing the gas, or spraying fuel over the carb, but it dies on it's own.

Anyway... diagnosing this thing is a NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.

It has. The BIGGEST, CLUSTERFUCK, of vacuum lines I've EVER seen. There are over 50 vac lines under that hood, no shit. And every line is old and hardened and breaks when trying to remove.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6939/678q.jpg
(reference pic, not her car thank god. Her trans kickdown cable is tied to pedal instead of carb)

But the problem doesn't even seem to be a vac leak. I couldn't find a single damn leak anywhere after checking (and replacing an unholy number of tiny vac lines). I think the carb itself has a blockage, but neither massive amounts of solevent nor compressed air helped.

Another reman carb goes for around $400, and I don't want to rebuild this electronic monstrosity. Fuck that noise.

So after a little hunting I found what I wanted and me an the missus ripped all that bullshit out yesterday.

It's getting a weber conversion. (32/36 DGEV) Vac secondary.

http://www.carburetion.com/images/weber/K728i.jpg

Worth it just for the dammed reduction in underhood mass if you ask me. :hehe:

Can't wait until it arrives in a few days (mostly so I don't have to drive her everywhere...:shush:)

Demz
07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Having owned a Carb'd 2.0 Prelude, those factory carbs are a terrible fucking design. Never tried an aftermarket carb tho.

CollapsedNut
07-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Take the jets out and clean?

kurt95gt
07-16-2012, 07:43 PM
My buddy did the same on his ols accord an loved it
Can ran much better an seem to have more pep too

Hipster Lawrence
07-16-2012, 11:29 PM
You should ask what kind of crack the federal government was on when they mandated unrealistic emissions requirements for the era.

All smog era carb'd cars are a clusterfuck.

Car_Barn_Bandit
07-17-2012, 12:16 AM
You should ask what kind of crack the federal government was on when they mandated unrealistic emissions requirements for the era.

All smog era carb'd cars are a clusterfuck.

The kind of crack that comes from lobbyists. 50 vacuum lines sounds AWFUL.

MrWOT
07-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Take the jets out and clean?

I will at a later date, just so I can sell that carb. For now I'm sick of looking at it.

I decided that just getting rid of all the vacuum mayhem and the increase in performance/mileage was worth the $325 for the kit. Plus it's sooo spacious under the hood now. I'll post a pic when I'm done with the install so you can see the before/after.

My buddy did the same on his ols accord an loved it
Can ran much better an seem to have more pep too

Yeah, I see no downsides whatsoever. Have heard only massively positive reviews from everyone who's done it.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-18-2012, 03:21 AM
The "electronic" emissions carbs were all, regardless of manufacturer, a complete cluster fuck. This was definitely a case of the government getting way ahead of the technology.

MrWOT
07-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Well I got it all put together and running, but am taking it back apart to fix a few issues with the "kit", which was kind of a joke.

There is no linkage to use the factory throttle cable, and the studs for the carb to adapter plate are too long, and adapter has open bottom. It will jack the adapter off the manifold creating a vac leak (fixing via red loctite on the adapter) when you try to torque the carb down.

But it runs, and sounds nice. Even if it tries to idle around 3000rpm due to the massive vac leak :p

Will post pic once I'm done tinkering.

MrWOT
07-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Well fuck my life.

I fixed the stud issue via red loctite and washers, not allowing the stud to bottom out.

Finished ripping off all the rest of the emissions related garbage, installed regulator to 3psi, new filters, and fired up. Wouldn't idle without opening the throttle. WTF?

So I rev it around 2500, and start spraying carb cleaner, and low and behold, the intake gasket has a leak between 2 and 3, where the cleaner wouldnt reach with all the emissions shit on it. :facepalm:

So the carb was never an issue, and a $5 gasket would have fixed it. At least it's a performance upgrade.

MrWOT
07-23-2012, 06:33 PM
BTW, this is also why I normally test with propane, it will flow upwards. Shame on me for being lazy.

MrWOT
07-24-2012, 10:04 AM
That intake manifold was a beeeeeeeeach to remove. But it's all patched up and running great now. Better than it ever has, as long as the wife has owned it anyway.

The intake gasket was... crunchy. It disintegrated into dust when scraping it off the manifold/head, or snapped off in little flakes....

It still won't burnout, but it will take a hill without downshifting, which is a pretty impressive gain.

Still a few things left to fix. Like finding a bolt to plug egr port in exh manifold. I just broke the egr pipe and crimped it in a vice to plug it for now.

To keep the fuel costs to a minimum I installed a super strong throttle return spring. If she wants to gun it, she can work for it :hehe:

It's 2am now, and stick a fork in me. I'm done, and I'm going to bed.

85gtsblackman
07-24-2012, 06:41 PM
To keep the fuel costs to a minimum I installed a super strong throttle return spring. If she wants to gun it, she can work for it :hehe:

It's 2am now, and stick a fork in me. I'm done, and I'm going to bed.

thats what i did to my truck, i can 1 or 2 barrel it now, cept i need to switch mine to smaller jets or try the other weber i have laying around