PDA

View Full Version : First official day of vacation. Working in the garage today.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
This is the first official day of the plant shutdown. I'm going to spend the day today in the garage getting some maintenance work done to the All Trac. Going to reseal the cam cover (got an oil leak on the back of the engine and I think it's coming from there), retorque the exhaust manifold nuts and replace the park brake shoes. Hopefully things will go half way right. It should be a good day though. Definitely beats the hell out of going to work.

Hookecho
07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
How long does the shutdown last?

Nitro_Alltrac
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
It's just a week but it's much appreciated.

Looks I'm off to get parts now. The cam cover has a rubber gasket. I was under the impression that it was FIPG. Wrong on that one. Also two of my damn spark plug wires broke, left the connector on the plug. Hopefully things improve from here.

4thgenceli
07-16-2012, 04:58 PM
It's just a week but it's much appreciated.

Looks I'm off to get parts now. The cam cover has a rubber gasket. I was under the impression that it was FIPG. Wrong on that one. Also two of my damn spark plug wires broke, left the connector on the plug. Hopefully things improve from here.

Sounds like the last time I worked on the Mazda... One thing after another kept breaking as I was tearing into it. A upper radiator hose replacement lead to a new tensioner, water pump, upper & lower hose, radiator, fan assembly and P/S pump.

Good luck on the work, hope it's back on the road shortly.

Nitro_Alltrac
07-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Well of course no one has the gasket or the wires in stock. Ordered the gasket from Toyota and it will be here tomorrow. Got the wires ordered and they should be here before the end of the week.

Did get the park brake shoes changed out. That went pretty well. I remembered again why I hate drum brakes.:evil:

celica9303
07-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Yeah drums suck......good luck man.

My vert has been on stands for 2 weeks now over stupid broken shit. Enjoy shut down

joe's gt
07-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Distributor is a common culprit as well for oil leakage in the back of the engine.

Murgatroy
07-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Vacation?

What is this word? Explain this to me, I don't understand the context with which it is used? A period of time during which one is not required to work?

Blasphemy!

Nitro_Alltrac
07-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Yea Murg, a few of us do get this oddities from time to time. I have say that the summer and Christmas shutdowns are a great prep working for Toyota. Last year due to the Japan earthquake, they moved the Christmas shutdown to July so it was a two week shutdown. Of course with me working in accounting and have closing at the beginning of the month, I didn't get to take advantage of that. It was tough working during Christmas week. That was the first time in 12 years that I had worked the week after Christmas.

Car update. I got the cam cover gasket from Toyota today. Hopefully the plug wires will get here tomorrow or Thursday. I think I'm going to clean the cam cover up and paint it red while I have it off. Anybody got a suggestion for a dielectric grease or something to put on the plug end of the wires to keep them from sticking to the plug? The old wires that were on the car originally came off without any problem. These were Denso wires and the #1 & 4 wires came apart and left the metal connector on the plug. Kind of sucked.

At least the manifold bolts were all tight.