PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all the old posts?

klapa
07-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm sure I just have a bone in my brain - but where are the archives of all the old posts and how to, technical write-ups, etc.?

Everything seems to be gone....

Luni
07-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Be more specific. We have a place where we are/were going to put them but not much, if at all made it over there.

klapa
07-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Be more specific. We have a place where we are/were going to put them but not much, if at all made it over there.

So - you not only have a new server - you have a new hosting service? Or you have a new server and did not have a backup of the old one?

Anyway - none of the above is any of my beeswax.

To "Be more specific" - Metdeath write-up on wheels and tires - Joey write-up on clutches - write-up on power folding mirror wiring, write-up on headlight "lazy-eye" mods, numerous "non-specific" write-ups on NA and boosted mods - just to name a few.

If some of these things that once were in the technical archives "made it" - where are they located now?

I don't know why I need to be "more specific" - there is an entire CATEGORY of posts missing - and the forum link to them - the technical archives of "how-to" and other write-ups on many subjects - the "brain-trust" for Celicas from many users over many years here.

That was/is the "meat and potatoes" of Celcatech.com - without them this place approaches being a "chat room".

Is this a new "business model", or do you no longer have the server space for them, or was all this just "lost in the transition"?

Anyway you look at it - if all that old stuff is gone or no longer published for whatever reasons - it is a tragedy for the Celica community - and a death knell for Celicatech.com.

Luni
07-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Well hell.

I just started looking into it, and the forums exist in "forum display" in my settings, but when you look on the forum home page theyre not being displayed.

Ill bet the posts are still out there, I just need to figure out why theyre not displaying.

CollapsedNut
07-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Hey Luni

Why dont you look in to that.

klapa
07-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Well hell.

I just started looking into it, and the forums exist in "forum display" in my settings, but when you look on the forum home page theyre not being displayed.

Ill bet the posts are still out there, I just need to figure out why theyre not displaying.

So that is interesting - do tell - under what "category" does the old collection of technical posts show up for you?

"CelicaTech Discussion"?
"Generational Forums"?
"Performance and Innovation"?
"Fabrication & Aesthetics"?
"Celica Motorsports"?
"CelicaTech Entertainment (and Crazies)"?
"Sponsor and Vendors"?
"CelicaTech Classifieds"?
"Worldwide Celicas"?

Those are the only categories that I see when I click on "forums". Am I doing something wrong here?

All of those were standard "categories" before but what is missing now is the one that was named something like:

"Technical Archive"

The one that had all the posts about swaps - and maintenance write-ups - and all the "meat and potatoes".

Luni
07-17-2012, 02:43 AM
No, what I meant was, in the control panel for vBulletin, the Tech Archives are a forum and they are there. But Ill be damned if I can get the things to display. Also I have no idea if its a result of the server move or not... I just dont know.

klapa
07-17-2012, 02:56 AM
No, what I meant was, in the control panel for vBulletin, the Tech Archives are a forum and they are there. But Ill be damned if I can get the things to display. Also I have no idea if its a result of the server move or not... I just dont know.

Well - that is great news!

All that old stuff is still there and it will just be a matter of time before it is available for viewing again, after you work out some "teething problems" with the new move..

I was worried for a minute there that it had been all lost - there is no replacing that info - it is the sweat and blood of many Celica builders over the years - and that legacy is in your capable hands, Luni.

Regards,

klapa

joe's gt
07-17-2012, 05:31 AM
and that legacy is in your capable hands, luni.

Regards,

klapa

craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!

sloceli
07-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I fixed it. It was set 0 (don't display forum) in the control panel.

klapa
07-18-2012, 01:42 AM
craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!

LOL - don't really know what you mean there - I was being nice!

It is always a good idea to "be nice to the boss" - and like it or leave it - Luni is the "caretaker" for all this information - he "owns" it.

Without him it would all just be "gone", evaporated into cyber space.

It certainly does seem to me that whatever "transition" was made was at least partially bungled. There are many posts that are gone from the various forum categories.

I am only "guessing" that a proper backup was not made prior to this transition.

I have not made much more than a cursory look through the newly visible "Technical Archive" - but it does look like allot of the old stuff is there.

Certainly - better than nothing.

I guess I don't get all this "transition" stuff. Why? I have a hosting service myself - two domains, total of 270 GB byte server space, 300 email addresses per domain, and it cost me $240 PER YEAR - $20/Month.

Perhaps it is the traffic? That "chat window" is what eats up the bandwidth.

joe's gt
07-19-2012, 03:53 AM
LOL - don't really know what you mean there - I was being nice!

It is always a good idea to "be nice to the boss" - and like it or leave it - Luni is the "caretaker" for all this information - he "owns" it.

Without him it would all just be "gone", evaporated into cyber space.

I know, I was just playin.

Luni
07-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Klapa, I had a hosting service like what youre talking about, and they throttled me for CPU and resources, causing page timeouts, and other problems. My site is simply too big for a cheap solution. So I moved it to Borinals server. Its nice, in terms of being friends with the guy who owns the server, etc. This last move was made in lieu of him. He wanted to do more with his server so he upgraded HIS stuff, so subsequently I had to upgrade MINE. I didnt choose to do it.

After Joel fixed the tech archives, I dont see any threads that Im subscribed to that are missing.