PDA

View Full Version : Server busy during day with Win7 ?

90ToyAllTrac
07-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Everytime I try and login during the workday on a Windows7, the server is always busy. Dont know if its the time of day or the Windows 7. At home on my Win XP at night its always fine.

MCcelica
07-10-2012, 06:46 AM
I actually had that happen I think earlier today on my win7 box. But not from logging in, I was trying to post something.

93celicaconv
07-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Happened to me several times as well, and come to think of it, it always was on a Win7 machine. I also use WinXP at work, and don't remember any issues there.

Grot
07-18-2012, 10:42 PM
i was having lots of issues with this last night. around 2-3 am Eastern.

Also on a Win 7 64 bit machine, using Opera

Oh sweet irony, Getting server to busy error as im trying to post this.

kurt95gt
07-18-2012, 10:54 PM
I had this problem last night for about 3 hours before I just gave up altogether
I'm on my phone tho

90GT2
07-18-2012, 11:05 PM
I get the server to busy often as well but im on a Mac so I dont think it is a windows thing.

acidice333
07-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Its the crap server :)

Borinal
07-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Sorry guys, I put in a support ticket. Hopefully this time they will move us to another node. This VPS provider seemed like it would be a lot better all around for us but the CPU usage on our node is constantly being pegged for some reason. Unfortunately this is the best that I can personally afford, I'd love to get a nice dedicated server for us but I don't have that kind of spare change and there isn't much if any of a revenue stream from the site to support it.

I'll keep you guys updated, I think if we can get around these CPU issues though this could be a lot better setup than we had before. When it's good it's great (way better than it ever was before), but when it's bad it's un-bearable and almost un-usable.

klapa
07-19-2012, 01:51 AM
I don't get it - what are the monthly traffic and total server storage requirements for this place?

I have a Unix server from my hosting service that cost me ~$20/Mo. - with monthly bandwidth of 3000 GB - 250 email addresses 2 GB per box - and total storage of 300 GB.

This includes hosting up to 3 domains with DNS services - I also pay ~$5 per year for DNS services to my home IP address.

For $30/Mo. I could get unlimited bandwidth, 500 email boxes at 2GB each, and unlimited storage.

http://www.aplus.net/websites/website-plans/plans-and-pricing

Are you guys shopping in the wrong place - like maybe Europe or some other really expensive place like that?

And I also "don't get it" - that you guys are not even pulling in $360/Yr.?

That last one is taking a "really big gulp" for me to swallow...... ;)

At the VERY MOST - your hosting service should cost a max of ~$50/Mo. for really large (unlimited - to a point) storage and bandwidth - and that includes the internet connection (when you use a hosting service). That would be a max of $600/Yr. - but it should not cost that much.

So again - I guess I just don't see the "realities" - yet I am "all ears" to hear about them.

4thgenceli
07-19-2012, 02:16 AM
Klapa there's a LOT more to web hosting than bandwidth & storage. All the bandwidth and storage in the world won't make up for a memory leak or poor decisions when cutting virtual systems.

What type of stuff do you have hosted with APlus? My history with them has been shitty as well as numerous acquaintances in the interwebz hosting world.

klapa
07-19-2012, 03:04 AM
Klapa there's a LOT more to web hosting than bandwidth & storage. All the bandwidth and storage in the world won't make up for a memory leak or poor decisions when cutting virtual systems.

What type of stuff do you have hosted with APlus? My history with them has been shitty as well as numerous acquaintances in the interwebz hosting world.

Well - That is certainly a valid question that deserves an honest answer, BurnyDJr. :)

I don't "host" anything on Aplus.net - I use this outfit for email mainly for two domains - automationsouth.com and nashdom.com - yet the uptime has been really great (nearly 24/7) since some company named "Deluxe" took them over. They offer POP and IMAP, and SSL certificates for no extra charges. I also use them for the "automationsouth" VPN to talk with clients in China. Never a problem.

I don't have any "website" - but I did mention the $50/Mo. because with this plan you can have your own dedicated server. Windows server is slightly more expensive.

Since Aplus.net got taken over by some company called "Deluxe" things have been really good - pretty much 24/7 uptime.

The "point" here is that the key is the reliability of the server connection - and the bandwidth.

All else is the responsibility of the user - be it "vBulliten" or whatever - you just need to set it up on the server. I mentioned the $50/Mo. price because that is what it would cost for a dedicated server.

It would not hurt CelicaTech to try some other hosting services - it would just be about a two or three day delay for the DNS to propagate across the internet to point to the new server. If CelicaTech is paying more than $50/Mo. for hosting service they are getting ripped off - IMHO.

As far as "memory leaks" and the like - with a dedicated server - you specify the OS.

Like I said - if Celicatch is paying more than $50/Mo. for hosting - I think they are getting their ass reamed.

Just MHO - keeping in mind - I design hardware - PC boards and the like - I don't know allot about all that software "mumbo-jumbo"..

klapa
07-19-2012, 03:30 AM
I would also mention - when it comes to the software "mumbo-jumbo" - that if you have memory leaks - perhaps you need to look at your source vs. blaming it on the OS.

Last thing I read - the current server is Apache - which means Unix - so I don't really get your ambiguous statement "All the bandwidth and storage in the world won't make up for a memory leak or poor decisions when cutting virtual systems." - what exactly does that mean?

I understand that part about "memory leaks" and how that might apply to the particular flavor of Unix on the server or even the version of Apache server daemon - but "poor decisions when cutting virtual systems" - that is certainly ambiguous - can you qualify and quantify that in clearer terms or is it just too much for a poor "hardware guy" like me?

I am "calling bullshit" on that one.

While I am not a software "guru" - I also did not fall off the last wagon load of turnips that pulled into town.

If you have a server computer that you can specify the OS and web server app - then if you have "memory leaks" you have a problem with your app. For "cutting virtual systems" - well - I covered that one above.

4thgenceli
07-19-2012, 04:59 AM
"Call bullshit" all you want on me. I've been working with virtualization technologies since ESX 1.5 (mid/late 2003). Not knowing how the host has their enviroment configured I can't say shit about what they're doing.

Few things I know.

1. When the site works, it is fucking amazingly fast.
--> So the host is good when it works, awesome.

2. When its dead, it's dead.
--> The host we're on is obviously hosting something that is taxing the processors and/or memory of the server. Simply put we need to get our VPS moved to another host. If they're smart (and I'm hoping they are) they'll be running a clustered ESXi 5 enviroment with VSphere installed to manage everything. VMotion'ing a VPS would take a matter of minutes to a new host. Again I say "IF". I don't know their infrastructure. All I can say that's how I would do it (and do it daily).

3. The financial aspects of the site frankly doesn't need to reach much more than 3 or 4 people's ears/eyes. CTech isn't a "for profit" site. It's a site that split off of a site that turned "for profit" and went to the shitter because of that among other reasons. This site is paid for 95% out of the owner's pocket. For the most part the donations cover the hosting & software cost. Again I'm just guessing at that, I don't even know the financial aspects of this site.

4. The owner of the site and the main developer are on it and are well aware of issues. I talk to him daily.

4thgenceli
07-19-2012, 05:13 AM
Anyway, this thread isn't about this shit.

Yes "we" are aware of performance issues with the site.

Yes "we" are trying to resolve it as quickly as possible.

Yes "we" have tried to find a similarity between people who have had problems (and no there hasn't been one).

It's being worked on, sorry the bromance sessions keep getting interrupted. Grab a beer, sit back, relax and think about Azzy's 'stache. I know I am.

Borinal
07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't get it - what are the monthly traffic and total server storage requirements for this place?

I have a Unix server from my hosting service that cost me ~$20/Mo. - with monthly bandwidth of 3000 GB - 250 email addresses 2 GB per box - and total storage of 300 GB.

This includes hosting up to 3 domains with DNS services - I also pay ~$5 per year for DNS services to my home IP address.

For $30/Mo. I could get unlimited bandwidth, 500 email boxes at 2GB each, and unlimited storage.

http://www.aplus.net/websites/website-plans/plans-and-pricing

Are you guys shopping in the wrong place - like maybe Europe or some other really expensive place like that?

And I also "don't get it" - that you guys are not even pulling in $360/Yr.?

That last one is taking a "really big gulp" for me to swallow...... ;)

At the VERY MOST - your hosting service should cost a max of ~$50/Mo. for really large (unlimited - to a point) storage and bandwidth - and that includes the internet connection (when you use a hosting service). That would be a max of $600/Yr. - but it should not cost that much.

So again - I guess I just don't see the "realities" - yet I am "all ears" to hear about them.

Try again, hosting is almost twice as expensive state side. That is, however; besides the point. I am paying ~$100 a mo. Was paying ~$50 a mo. before the move for about 1/4 the hardware.

Trust me, we've tried the super cheap route and that wasn't any better.

So are you donating close to or more than $365 each year?

A decent dedicated server will run us $150 (very low end) - $350 (mid grade)

I'm doing everything that I can to work it out though, I'll keep you updated. I'm not content with it and I'm not going to just let it be.

Borinal
07-19-2012, 05:21 PM
It's most certainly not bandwidth, or memory. The problem is 100% centered around CPU load as far as we can determine. Though that load doesn't appear to be being generated by us. I'm open to anyone that wants to try and help or knows more about this stuff than I do. I don't claim to be an expert but I know my way around a server for the most part. Babybear knows quite a bit more than myself and is the one that identified the CPU load of the machine vs our actual CPU usage. So I want to say thanks to him for that. I was reading the load thinking that it was a small percentage of 100% and it was actually 0.0 - 1.0 per core.

Again, I'll keep you guy updated but please be mindful of what you are posting here. That felt a lot like an attack and we have been moving hosting as we have grown to accommodate our increasing resource needs or because a hosting situation has gone south. But at this point there isn't really any reason why we should possibly be pegging our resources so it's worth looking into and working with the host to try and resolve because we are either overlooking something or there is a good reason for it and it should be correctable. To this point they've been trying to help us out and our previous host was willing to do nothing but point the finger. I hope that we will get this nailed down.

Luni
07-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Tim, this isnt running ESX. If it was running ESX Id have a lot more to say about it.

Facime
07-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Ive got something to say of value about the issue.

You fags better fix it! This "server is busy" shit pisses me off.

Azzazzyn
07-20-2012, 04:38 AM
no, let the website crash so all the ctecher's cn daydream about my 'stache

Borinal
07-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Okay, as a last ditch troubleshooting effort with the host they have doubled our CPU. This would cost $40 extra a month to make permanent which I'm not going to pay. But to prove a point I want to see if this resolves our issues or not. So please anyone that experiences slowness or server busy error messages please post up in here so that I can report that back to the host.

Borinal
07-20-2012, 06:48 PM
On a side note, if this does resolve our problem they've agreed to give the upgrade to us for free and not charge the extra $40/m. But this means nothing if it doesn't resolve our problem so please provide me with as much feedback as possible.

Thanks everyone.

Waffles!
07-20-2012, 06:56 PM
I never got a server busy message until today. I tried to load CTech about 3 hours ago, no luck. Kept trying until the site loaded for me just now.

I'm using a Lenovo G530 laptop running XP (I think I've got XP Pro, but I could be mistaken) with the latest version of Firefox.

Borinal
07-20-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't think that it's going to have much if anything to do with client hardware. So what I'm concerned about is server busy messages and just general slowness/response time.

Borinal
07-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Also it would be great to know if you experienced it with reply, new posts, search, general thread browsing, etc...

Waffles!
07-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Also it would be great to know if you experienced it with reply, new posts, search, general thread browsing, etc...

I was trying to load the homepage. That's when I got the server busy message.

underscore
07-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Jammed up on the homepage earlier, and jammed up trying to post shortly after that (today). I keep forgetting to donate to the site, this thread has reminded me so I'll jump on that this evening.

Also klapa, holy quotation marks Batman.

Annnnd busy again posting this

Facime
07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
general slowness in response to nearly any clicks, then server busy trying to access my updated threads, and at least one sever busy trying to post

Borinal
07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
To be clear are your reports of events on a timeline after my post?

4thgenceli
07-20-2012, 11:01 PM
So right after you IM'd me saying the system was upgraded, it was slow as fucking balls. It never threw the error, but was just slow as balls loading.

HOWEVER...now the site is fucking blazing.

It loads crazy fast, no errors, searches are fucking blazing fast.

Borinal
07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Good to know, keep an eye on it. I need as much data as possible before bitching to them again or deciding to find a new host.

Borinal
07-20-2012, 11:12 PM
There was also a setting turned on that disabled any page from being cached. I'm not sure why, but that's a big deal because the caches get updated anytime a new post is made. However, if a thread was posted and 50 people viewed it in-between a new post it required a lot more overhead those 50 times than was needed. So that could help in general but the big change is our CPU access.

4thgenceli
07-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Also, Tapatalk was quick via the verizon 4GLTE. Through the web browser on the phone also was quick.

Now I'm home, I still running quickly and haven't had any 'Server busy' errors or problems with uber slow loading. I'm getting between 2-3 seconds load time (searches, etc).

klapa
07-21-2012, 03:58 AM
Also klapa, holy quotation marks Batman.

Ya _ - you are certainly right! That is a problem I have that I had shaken off before when posting here - those "quotation marks" (LOL ;))

Yet it has been awhile since I was last here so I guess I need to be "re-educated" (oops - I did it again!).

I will try to be better now... and the grammar feedback IS appreciated.

In the meantime - I guess all these server busy issues must only apply to Windows 7 - I have not seen any such issues with my Windows XP - SP 3. The speed is really fast - and never an issue to either read posts or to reply to them.

underscore
07-21-2012, 04:25 AM
I've been having the site load rather slowly this evening, and most of my issues have been at home, on XP MCE SP3. At work I've got 7 Pro and I have similar issues.

Borinal
07-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the info. Underscore how long would you say that it is it taking and is it all pages new threads, etc? Have you tried different browsers? Are most of the sites that you load fairly quick? Thanks for the heads up.

Luni
07-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Operating system has nothing to do with your browser. Its all browser specific.

And Dave, for the record I havent had any issues with the site in the past couple of days. I wouldnt call it "BLAZING" but its been pretty good lately. As for that caching? I had to turn that shit off when I was at Hostmonster because thats one of the things that put us over on our CPU access window. So, Having it checked again may, over time, help.

Luni
07-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Operating system has nothing to do with your browser. Its all browser specific.

And Dave, for the record I havent had any issues with the site in the past couple of days. I wouldnt call it "BLAZING" but its been pretty good lately. As for that caching? I had to turn that shit off when I was at Hostmonster because thats one of the things that put us over on our CPU access window. So, Having it checked again may, over time, help.

Luni
07-21-2012, 05:08 PM
LOL, and of course, I hit post quick reply and it took 25 seconds to post. So yeah, it ISNT fixed dude. Dave, ask the hosting provider to move us to a different HOST. The HOST being the actual server in the cluster theyre managing. Tell them in vmware it would be called vmotion. Or VM Migration. If they havent already. All of the CPU in the world isnt going to fix this if theres intensive shit going on in the host itself.

Luni
07-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Dave, why is the site hosted out of Europe? Did you realize that?

Im getting like 200ms ping times to it. I never even really thought of measuring ping times. Tim brought this to our attention.

4thgenceli
07-21-2012, 06:21 PM

Im getting like 200ms ping times to it. I never even really thought of measuring ping times. Tim brought this to our attention.

I spoke with him about that yesterday.

klapa
07-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Which is exactly what I asked about three days ago:

Everything in Europe cost at least 2X the $$$$ for 1/2X the service - and most of your readers of CTECH are here in North America.

Note that Europe bought in heavily to the ISDN technology - many of your readers might know this as "Integrated Services Digital Network" - but actually, as a hardware engineer that is a veteran of communications technology I can tell you that in fact this acronym actually stands for "It Still Does Not work". Every new connection takes a ~20 step negotiation process. It never sold here in the USA - but is still omnipresent in Europe, Japan, and Mexico because they all bought into it in a big way.

Maybe your new hosting service has many ISDN lines instead of more modern optical (OC3-OC12-OC48) pipe.

The Captain
07-21-2012, 09:37 PM
MMmmm. Azzy's stache...

Luni
07-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Oh, ISDN sold here in the USA. I used to work for a telecommunications company. They STILL have motherfuckers on ISDN.

Borinal
07-22-2012, 05:07 PM
It's not on ISDN. Do you have any idea how absurd that is to even suggest? Also you are completely high if you think services are half the price here. Give me some good examples. I don't mean to be rude, but you obviously don't know a fucking thing about this stuff so why don't you please just keep your opinions out of this thread.

The host's website http://junglehosts.com/datacenter.shtml showed that the datacenter was in Dallas but I had a hard time finding the page after I was asked about it. Tim came across it again. I did a visual trace route and realized that it is indeed overseas. I asked about it and didn't get a response to that question yet.

So previously and on other sites you never have any issues with the quick reply? That seems to be one of the things that has been the most inconsistent with the newer vBulletin for me sometimes it's super fast and other times it sits there forever (not just here). You said that it had been a lot better, after that post did everything just crawl or was your assessment based off of the quick reply bug?

It seems a lot better to me all of the sites feel quite a bit snappier. But you guys use this more than I do so I trust if you say that it's having issues. I just paid for this months hosting so I'm not in a position to move to another server without support I can't really do anything until next month if we want to move again. I'm not thrilled about it being over seas, however; it really shouldn't be an issue. The latency averages about 160ms in my tests and I highly doubt that you will notice a difference unless your latency got much higher. I average 85ms-140ms pinging Facebook. I get that it's potentially a concern but I don't think that it has any bearing on performance. It really seemed like it might just be CPU. With our CPU being doubled I don't want to just come back and bitch that it took 25 seconds to perform a quick reply but have them zipping through every link on all of our sites. Right now and while I used it Friday and some of saturday every single click resulted in an almost immediate page appearing. I wasn't experiencing the issue as often as you guys were probably just because I wasn't on here as much but I did see the same issues that you were and I'm not able to experience them right now. Though I do have issues with the quick reply on every site that I use it on. Most of the time it's great but maybe we could turn off the AJAX posting to make sure it's not Javascript bugs/timeouts/etc.

Borinal
07-22-2012, 05:08 PM
That last one took about 10 seconds, though it stopped spinning like 3 seconds before my post appeared. This one is through advanced reply. and it took...

Borinal
07-22-2012, 05:09 PM
about 1.5 seconds to bump me back to the page. This quick reply was pretty snappy. I don't know, worth taking into consideration and trying to post with advanced and see how the results vary.

Keep me updated, give me any ideas that you want to.

The host just doesn't seem like they are going to move us to another host, they maintain that there is nothing wrong other than us using heavy amounts of CPU which may or may not be bullshit. So I think that if them doubling our CPU access for free doesn't fix it we need to look into another host again because we're basically in the same boat as with the last one. Maybe there is something to it, maybe they are just dicks. But at least they offered to give us extra resources (for free after I bitched more about everything) if it doesn't cut it, we will cut them loose. They aren't going to show me screenshots or anything but considering how adamant they are about the load we are experiencing being from our VM and not the edge server I have to assume that they know what they are talking about and looking at or they are incompetent and unwilling to help us. Whichever one it is doesn't really matter as much as our perception of the situation. But I don't want to continue to hop around, downtime is nearly un-avoidable and it's not worth it if it doesn't make any difference in the end. If we decide to move again I really think we should just consider how we can make something else happen because VPS is great in theory but if what we are experiencing is saturation and not just our load on the server we probably aren't ever going to get away from it, if it is our load on the server a VPS just probably isn't going to cut it anymore, nor will shared hosting as it's the same as VPS without the VM.

Luni
07-22-2012, 05:23 PM
So, what exactly are they saying is happening? Are they saying the CPU load is coming from THIS server?

Luni
07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
By the way Dave, I found some pretty good deals on dedicated server hosting we can talk about if these jokers dont pan out. I gotta be honest with you I dont like that this place is out of europe. The next time this place is running shitty to me Im going to see if it equates to a higher ping time.

You guys who are bitching about performance should do this too. If it starts running slow, ping it and report your ping ms results.

Borinal
07-22-2012, 06:05 PM
That's a good idea, I've noticed higher pings 140-170 and I've checked them consistently as we've been having issues but didn't realize it was in Europe until just recently.

Send me over some of the stuff that you've found for the dedicated servers? I've found stuff in price ranges close to what we're paying now, however it was pretty shitty hardware like 1-2 gigs of memory, dual core, small hdd's and didn't include cpanel or anything, that was like another 25-45/mo granted we could do it without cpanel it kind of sucks ass to manage all of the services with multiple sites manually, harder to backup and move, etc... I don't really want to give that up.

Borinal
07-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Also, yes they say that the CPU usage is us and that what we see is what is dedicated to us, not the server's hardware load itself. They upgraded us to 8 CPU and it reflects everywhere. It seemed to "me" much better since they've done this. I see loads about half as high as I did before and the overall responsiveness seems better and completely consistent for me so far. I'd rather have a dedicated machine but it seems like you can get a lot more hardware for your money this way. But that doesn't mean shit if it's oversold. They swear that it's not oversold though that our resources are dedicated. (gotta take that at face value, I don't know that it can be super profitable without overselling but monitoring the load since they upped us to 8 CPU's (not sure if that is cores, cycle entitlements or what obviously it's not literally 8 CPU's) but since then, I am not seeing the load like it was. Which indicates to me that it's not saturation on the hardware that we were dealing with, but more likely that our VM was just tapping out what it had available to it.

Borinal
07-22-2012, 06:17 PM
As for the caching definitely over time, won't immediately make a huge difference but should going forward as everyone accesses more and more of the site.

Also, I know that we have shared search results but I can't figure out for the life of me why the new posts aren't shared like I thought that they would be. I get a new search every time that I click on it even though there may not have been a new post for 10 minutes. That would make a huge difference if that was cached. I'm assuming that it may have to do with being new posts for the user that is requesting it, or that we are admins and maybe normal users do get cached results? It's probably the first part, which makes sense. But I wonder if it would make much of a difference if the search was "recent posts" instead of new posts or posts that a user hasn't read yet, etc... I wonder if you should rely more on subscriptions and have a more generic recent posts page. I don't know if that would bother a lot of people or not. Let me know what thoughts are on that. It was just an idea to possibly reduce CPU load even further though it really seems like it's doing much better now. Either way still interested in dedicated so hit me up bro.

Facime
07-22-2012, 07:21 PM
I ping 190 to ctech, Its better today so far, but still seems to take a long time to decide what to do before it does it (might be due to ping). Overall, performance is a bit better today.

klapa
07-22-2012, 08:05 PM
It's not on ISDN. Do you have any idea how absurd that is to even suggest? Also you are completely high if you think services are half the price here. Give me some good examples. I don't mean to be rude, but you obviously don't know a fucking thing about this stuff so why don't you please just keep your opinions out of this thread.

The host's website http://junglehosts.com/datacenter.shtml showed that the datacenter was in Dallas but I had a hard time finding the page after I was asked about it. Tim came across it again. I did a visual trace route and realized that it is indeed overseas. I asked about it and didn't get a response to that question yet.

So previously and on other sites you never have any issues with the quick reply? That seems to be one of the things that has been the most inconsistent with the newer vBulletin for me sometimes it's super fast and other times it sits there forever (not just here). You said that it had been a lot better, after that post did everything just crawl or was your assessment based off of the quick reply bug?

It seems a lot better to me all of the sites feel quite a bit snappier. But you guys use this more than I do so I trust if you say that it's having issues. I just paid for this months hosting so I'm not in a position to move to another server without support I can't really do anything until next month if we want to move again. I'm not thrilled about it being over seas, however; it really shouldn't be an issue. The latency averages about 160ms in my tests and I highly doubt that you will notice a difference unless your latency got much higher. I average 85ms-140ms pinging Facebook. I get that it's potentially a concern but I don't think that it has any bearing on performance. It really seemed like it might just be CPU. With our CPU being doubled I don't want to just come back and bitch that it took 25 seconds to perform a quick reply but have them zipping through every link on all of our sites. Right now and while I used it Friday and some of saturday every single click resulted in an almost immediate page appearing. I wasn't experiencing the issue as often as you guys were probably just because I wasn't on here as much but I did see the same issues that you were and I'm not able to experience them right now. Though I do have issues with the quick reply on every site that I use it on. Most of the time it's great but maybe we could turn off the AJAX posting to make sure it's not Javascript bugs/timeouts/etc.

Darn - didn't mean to "hit a nerve there", LOL :)

I think you are the one that is confused

"Also you are completely high if you think services are half the price here"

I SAID services are half the price HERE - DOUBLE the price in Europe . Also you would be wrong to think..

" I don't mean to be rude, but you obviously don't know a fucking thing about this stuff"

I did not just fall off the last wagon load of turnips that pulled into town when it comes to communications and hosting services.

A quick trace route certainly shows that all traffic goes through Europe:

Tracing route to celicatech.com [78.138.101.39]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms homeportal [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * 33 ms 41 ms 99.134.77.14
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 31 ms 40 ms 29 ms 72.157.44.248
7 32 ms 31 ms 32 ms 12.81.56.26
8 32 ms 31 ms 33 ms 12.81.56.13
9 30 ms 33 ms 31 ms 74.175.192.58
10 49 ms 48 ms 47 ms cr2.rlgnc.ip.att.net [12.123.152.110]
11 45 ms 42 ms 44 ms cr1.wswdc.ip.att.net [12.122.3.170]
12 39 ms 53 ms 40 ms wswdc03jt.ip.att.net [12.122.220.245]
13 54 ms 62 ms 100 ms 192.205.34.210
14 117 ms 143 ms 116 ms ldn-bb1-link.telia.net [80.91.251.206]
15 126 ms 126 ms 158 ms adm-bb1-link.telia.net [213.155.134.169]
16 174 ms 208 ms 204 ms ddf-b2-link.telia.net [80.91.250.161]
17 130 ms 196 ms 130 ms tge-2-1.1294.bbr1.dus3.inetbone.net [213.248.98.138]-----------------------<<<<InetBONE - LOL
18 145 ms 143 ms 144 ms ve1345.edge1-dus4.mesh.eu [213.203.212.90] -------------------------------<<<< EUROPE
19 134 ms 132 ms 133 ms ve1349.car1-dus4.mesh.eu [213.203.212.82] ---------------------------------<<<<EUROPE
20 132 ms 130 ms 131 ms junglehosts.com [78.138.97.106]
21 150 ms 155 ms 148 ms junglehosts.com [78.138.101.39]

So now you say "junglehosts.com" is in Dallas, TX? Or have I misunderstood what you said?

A simple "who is" on 78.138.101.39 ("junglehosts.com") certainly suggests otherwise:

--> /usr/local/bin/fwhois 78.138.97.106@whois.arin.net
[whois.arin.net]
#
# Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:
# "n 78.138.97.106"
#
# Use "?" to get help.
#

#
# The following results may also be obtained via:
# http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=78.138.97.106?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&ext=netref2
#

NetRange: 78.0.0.0 - 78.255.255.255
CIDR: 78.0.0.0/8
OriginAS:
NetName: 78-RIPE
NetHandle: NET-78-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType: Allocated to RIPE NCC
Comment: These addresses have been further assigned to users in
Comment: the RIPE NCC region. Contact information can be found in
Comment: the RIPE database at http://www.ripe.net/whois
RegDate: 2006-08-29
Updated: 2009-05-18
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-78-0-0-0-1

OrgName: RIPE Network Coordination Centre
OrgId: RIPE
Address: P.O. Box 10096
City: Amsterdam -----------------------------------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<EUROPE
StateProv:
PostalCode: 1001EB
Country: NL-----------------------------------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<EUROPE
RegDate:
Updated: 2011-09-24
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/RIPE

ReferralServer: whois://whois.ripe.net:43

OrgTechHandle: RNO29-ARIN
OrgTechName: RIPE NCC Operations
OrgTechPhone: +31 20 535 4444
OrgTechEmail: hostmaster@ripe.net
OrgTechRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/RNO29-ARIN

OrgAbuseHandle: RNO29-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: RIPE NCC Operations
OrgAbusePhone: +31 20 535 4444
OrgAbuseEmail: hostmaster@ripe.net
OrgAbuseRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/RNO29-ARIN

#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
#

Sunday, 22-Jul 14:49:25 Terms of Use & Privacy | feedback | contact | Hosting by nac.net - DSL,Hosting & Co-lo
over 12.5 years online 1999-2012 dslreports.com.

Trace complete.

For me - I have no connection problems or "time issues" - but I have two dedicated VDSL pairs with a 24Mbit 24/7 connection.

It certainly would seem to me that all connections/traffic for Celicatech.com are being routed through Europe - the "land of the expensive and crappy service".

It is also clear that "junglehosts.com" domain IP address range is owned by these people of the company "RIPE Network" in the Netherlands - and it is thus again safe to assume that all Celicatech traffic is being routed through Europe - regardless of whether or not there is some "junglehosts.com" server registered in Dallas TX.

Waffles!
07-22-2012, 10:11 PM
:popcorn:

I just pinged Ctech at anywhere from 240-350ms (which is much higher than I have seen in the last few days). Just a few minutes ago it was closer to 180-200ms. I haven't gotten and server busy errors today. Keep up the good work Borinal.

Borinal
07-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Darn - didn't mean to "hit a nerve there", LOL :)

I think you are the one that is confused

I SAID services are half the price HERE - DOUBLE the price in Europe . Also you would be wrong to think..

I did not just fall off the last wagon load of turnips that pulled into town when it comes to communications and hosting services.

A quick trace route certainly shows that all traffic goes through Europe:

Tracing route to celicatech.com [78.138.101.39]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms homeportal [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * 33 ms 41 ms 99.134.77.14
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 31 ms 40 ms 29 ms 72.157.44.248
7 32 ms 31 ms 32 ms 12.81.56.26
8 32 ms 31 ms 33 ms 12.81.56.13
9 30 ms 33 ms 31 ms 74.175.192.58
10 49 ms 48 ms 47 ms cr2.rlgnc.ip.att.net [12.123.152.110]
11 45 ms 42 ms 44 ms cr1.wswdc.ip.att.net [12.122.3.170]
12 39 ms 53 ms 40 ms wswdc03jt.ip.att.net [12.122.220.245]
13 54 ms 62 ms 100 ms 192.205.34.210
14 117 ms 143 ms 116 ms ldn-bb1-link.telia.net [80.91.251.206]
15 126 ms 126 ms 158 ms adm-bb1-link.telia.net [213.155.134.169]
16 174 ms 208 ms 204 ms ddf-b2-link.telia.net [80.91.250.161]
17 130 ms 196 ms 130 ms tge-2-1.1294.bbr1.dus3.inetbone.net [213.248.98.138]-----------------------<<<<InetBONE - LOL
18 145 ms 143 ms 144 ms ve1345.edge1-dus4.mesh.eu [213.203.212.90] -------------------------------<<<< EUROPE
19 134 ms 132 ms 133 ms ve1349.car1-dus4.mesh.eu [213.203.212.82] ---------------------------------<<<<EUROPE
20 132 ms 130 ms 131 ms junglehosts.com [78.138.97.106]
21 150 ms 155 ms 148 ms junglehosts.com [78.138.101.39]

So now you say "junglehosts.com" is in Dallas, TX? Or have I misunderstood what you said?

A simple "who is" on 78.138.101.39 ("junglehosts.com") certainly suggests otherwise:

--> /usr/local/bin/fwhois 78.138.97.106@whois.arin.net
[whois.arin.net]
#
# Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:
# "n 78.138.97.106"
#
# Use "?" to get help.
#

#
# The following results may also be obtained via:
# http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=78.138.97.106?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&ext=netref2
#

NetRange: 78.0.0.0 - 78.255.255.255
CIDR: 78.0.0.0/8
OriginAS:
NetName: 78-RIPE
NetHandle: NET-78-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType: Allocated to RIPE NCC
Comment: These addresses have been further assigned to users in
Comment: the RIPE NCC region. Contact information can be found in
Comment: the RIPE database at http://www.ripe.net/whois
RegDate: 2006-08-29
Updated: 2009-05-18
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-78-0-0-0-1

OrgName: RIPE Network Coordination Centre
OrgId: RIPE
Address: P.O. Box 10096
City: Amsterdam -----------------------------------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<EUROPE
StateProv:
PostalCode: 1001EB
Country: NL-----------------------------------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<EUROPE
RegDate:
Updated: 2011-09-24
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/RIPE

ReferralServer: whois://whois.ripe.net:43

OrgTechHandle: RNO29-ARIN
OrgTechName: RIPE NCC Operations
OrgTechPhone: +31 20 535 4444
OrgTechEmail: hostmaster@ripe.net
OrgTechRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/RNO29-ARIN

OrgAbuseHandle: RNO29-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: RIPE NCC Operations
OrgAbusePhone: +31 20 535 4444
OrgAbuseEmail: hostmaster@ripe.net
OrgAbuseRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/RNO29-ARIN

#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html
#

Sunday, 22-Jul 14:49:25 Terms of Use & Privacy | feedback | contact | Hosting by nac.net - DSL,Hosting & Co-lo
over 12.5 years online 1999-2012 dslreports.com.

Trace complete.

For me - I have no connection problems or "time issues" - but I have two dedicated VDSL pairs with a 24Mbit 24/7 connection.

It certainly would seem to me that all connections/traffic for Celicatech.com are being routed through Europe - the "land of the expensive and crappy service".

It is also clear that "junglehosts.com" domain IP address range is owned by these people of the company "RIPE Network" in the Netherlands - and it is thus again safe to assume that all Celicatech traffic is being routed through Europe - regardless of whether or not there is some "junglehosts.com" server registered in Dallas TX.

Oh that makes perfect sense now! Thanks for clearing that up, now that you've established that the server is in Europe and since these services are half price in the USA we should be able to get as good or better for $50. Which brings us back to your original post about how we shouldn't be paying more than $50 for hosting. If only I had just listened to you from the beginning I could avoided all of this confusion and mess.

Facime
07-23-2012, 02:01 AM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/545470_424518667587523_1676585485_n.jpg

The Captain
07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
^That depends.

Hookecho
07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Damn.

underscore
07-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Underscore how long would you say that it is it taking and is it all pages new threads, etc? Have you tried different browsers? Are most of the sites that you load fairly quick? Thanks for the heads up.

Well sometimes it never gets there, everything is through Firefox and I haven't tried any others yet. Any other page is quite fast, and I just tried to use Reply With Quote for this and it hung up, refreshing the page gave me the server error, pinging gave me:

ping www.celicatech.com

Pinging celicatech.com [78.138.101.39] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

4thgenceli
07-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Well sometimes it never gets there, everything is through Firefox and I haven't tried any others yet. Any other page is quite fast, and I just tried to use Reply With Quote for this and it hung up, refreshing the page gave me the server error, pinging gave me:

ping www.celicatech.com

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Can you ping any other site? You may be blocking ICMP or (if you're at work) firewalls preventing ICMP.

Facime
07-23-2012, 07:32 PM
I actually had a BSOD thanks to the gallery here on Ctech. Picture was loading real slow a line at a time and BAM!
This site is the slowest place I visit daily.

today:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Pete>ping www.celicatech.com

Reply from 78.138.101.39: bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=49
Reply from 78.138.101.39: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=49
Request timed out.
Reply from 78.138.101.39: bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 78.138.101.39:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 168ms, Maximum = 170ms, Average = 169ms

underscore
07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Can you ping any other site? You may be blocking ICMP or (if you're at work) firewalls preventing ICMP.

You're right, I totally forgot about our new firewall. I can't ping anything from here, I'll check at home is CT slows down again.

Luni
07-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Hippy, if you BSODd as a result of loading a page here, your computer couldnt handle what it was being fed.

Facime
07-24-2012, 06:34 AM
win7 fully updated, not one single BSOD...ever...since it was installed, try to load a gallery here, and BAM!

I thought it might be diagnostically relevant. (though I didnt bother to read the dump data)

Borinal
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Hippy, if you BSODd as a result of loading a page here, your computer couldnt handle what it was being fed.

Which would suggest that it was a snap of Luni's CAWK.

Luni
07-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Could be I guess. (diagnostically relevant that is).

Klapa, do me a favor, stop arguing and discussing this. Youre not helping. Youre just pissing off the guy who hosts this place and making him less likely to want to help us fix this.

Borinal
07-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Klapa, do me a favor, stop arguing and discussing this. Youre not helping. Youre just pissing off the guy who hosts this place and making him less likely to want to help us fix this.

Nah... I want to help regardless. However, it is frustrating because at first I thought that he was trolling then I realized he was serious.

Luni
07-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Then fix it. Get our shit out of Europe :p

(Ive found some good deals on dedicated server hosting here in the states that are the 100 youre paying or cheaper.

klapa
07-25-2012, 03:10 AM

I am sorry - I did not mean to argue or piss anybody off - and I did not think I was arguing - having worked for Euro companies most of my life - I simply have a low opinion of the Euro "customer service ethic" - and thus "bang for the buck" from most Euro companies.

If I might offer something that might be constructive here - I did have an experience once when moving a domain to a different hosting service that resulted in similar problems. Those problems being that some folks saw it as a transparent move and didn't even notice it - yet others had long delays for many days or even weeks.

The problem was not due to a single reason - but two main reasons:

When you change hosting services for your domain you change name servers. It takes time for this change to propagate through the internet and update name server records. In some cases - you can get in a loop where one name server points to another name server that has the "stale" record - which causes a loop to resolve the name to an ip address.

In the other case I had - which was the MAIN problem - the users with the problems had ipV6 enabled in Windows - but many name servers STILL DO NOT support ipV6 - these people had downloaded some sort of update from Windows that enabled ipV6. This was all in the "XP days". This was the primary problem - that the new name server chain had at least one "referral" name server hat did not support ipV6.

One would think - that this situation would simply result in a "page not found" error in the browser - but it was not that simple - as sometimes the page would be found because, apparently, the name server chain "went the right way" on occasion. Yet it was a roll of the dice for every page loaded.

Again - having these users disable ipV6 in control panel for their network interface used to access the internet seemed solve most of these problems - nearly across the board.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

klapa (RIP)

Luni
07-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Klapa what youre talking about is called a "round robin"

And our name server moved with us, so we didnt change nameservers.

klapa
07-25-2012, 04:21 AM
Klapa what youre talking about is called a "round robin"

And our name server moved with us, so we didnt change nameservers.

OK - well you have the same name server with the correctly updated records - but certainly the "chain" of name servers did change when you moved to a different provider.

When someone looks up a "name" - they do not go directly to "your" name server - the base domain name server - they first go to their name server provisioned by DCHP from their internet provider - which then "ping-pongs" across the internet to resolve the address. Your name server has propagated your address to all these other name servers - which is how it all finally gets resolved - and _that is how it works_.

There have been complaints here from one or two XP users - but the vast majority are from Win 7 users - it would not hurt to find someone with the problems - and then guide then to disable ipV6 - and see if that helps.

Just a thought.

MCcelica
07-25-2012, 06:55 AM
I could probably disable IPv6 as a test, cause I'm still getting the server too busy error at 1130 at night (MST). Let me know if you want me to.

4thgenceli
07-25-2012, 03:55 PM
OK - well you have the same name server with the correctly updated records - but certainly the "chain" of name servers did change when you moved to a different provider.

When someone looks up a "name" - they do not go directly to "your" name server - the base domain name server - they first go to their name server provisioned by DCHP from their internet provider - which then "ping-pongs" across the internet to resolve the address. Yoaur name server has propagated your address to all these other name servers - which is how it all finally gets resolved - and _that is how it works_.

There have been complaints here from one or two XP users - but the vast majority are from Win 7 users - it would not hurt to find someone with the problems - and then guide then to disable ipV6 - and see if that helps.

Just a thought.

It won't.

Borinal
07-25-2012, 04:18 PM
How have things been? Has it been just as bad? Better? I still suspect that it's been 100% CPU access. The big question is wether or not the machine doesn't have the CPU to give us or we just weren't provisioned for enough for the load that we are generating.

Regardless I'm going to work with Luni, my search for comparable dedicated servers was not fruitful but it sounds like he's found some great leads.

4thgenceli
07-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I had a few issues with it yesterday, but right now I'm good. No issues on any system (including ipv6) I have at my desk.

Borinal
07-25-2012, 04:37 PM
What kind of issues were you experiencing?

4thgenceli
07-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Server busy for the most part.

Waffles!
07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I haven't experienced any more server busy issues, but pages seem to take slightly longer to load than they did before the move.

Waffles!
07-25-2012, 05:02 PM
^That post was done via Quick Reply and took 8 seconds to post from the time I clicked.

klapa
07-26-2012, 02:36 AM
Again - I have had no issues at all - everything is very "snappy" for me.

I will time this "quick reply" - though I don't really know how to make a "standard reply", LOL :)

/************************************************** *******************/

So I did my "quick reply" and it took about 12 seconds to get the message:

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 16 seconds."

Of course - I had not posted previously since last night..... I had only been reading posts - but this is a standard message from vBulliten and I knew my post had actually been made - so no double-post here.

Anyway - maybe it is "all good" - you get a server in Europe - and now that the "Euro" is going in the toilet and about be worth ~$0.25 - you'll get a great deal on the foreign exchange!

Make sure you have a contract - and watch out for the "fine print"!

klapa
07-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Ya - so it was kinda "funny" I could not access the main forum page for ~5 minutes just now - kept getting error:

"The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

What is "funny" about it that during this time I could access the BGB without problems (all using Goggle links).

underscore
07-26-2012, 06:19 AM
quotes man, quotes...

Borinal
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
So, the vBulletin software monitors your servers nix load and if it goes above a certain load it shuts the board down until it drops below that again. What I'm curious of is what could have generated that much load for 5 minutes.

klapa
07-28-2012, 01:09 AM
So - I tried to reply to this and got an error that the server was not found - twice - yet the third time is the charm - guess.

I have edited this post two times.

Borinal
07-31-2012, 08:50 PM
As we stated, the Admin team and I are looking into alternative solutions since the upgrade obviously is better but still causing issues. Unless we get some donations we are stuck here until closer to the end of this month we just paid our host recently and we haven't yet found where we want to move to. I understand that the performance is frustrating, unfortunately it does work and it isn't free to start with another host.

BabyBear
07-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Klapa, don't take this the wrong way, but this is how my brain(and the sounds of it, quite a few others) interprets your messages on here.

s_cAS-mvV20

Be it quotes, dashes, or whatever else you decide to use. Makes it hard to follow, and a tad frustrating at that. I generally just skip over them because of it.

I think I might see about writing something simple to log the load on the server to find out if we have a rogue process thats slowing everything down.

Waffles!
07-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Babybear speaks the troof.

Murgatroy
07-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Why you guys got to hate. I am willing to admit that most of us just don't operate at the same level as Jacob. Once you accept that, his posts are easier to understand.

He is a cool cat that just comes from a different era as the rest of you whippersnappers. Doesn't make him wrong.

BabyBear
07-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Why you guys got to hate. I am willing to admit that most of us just don't operate at the same level as Jacob. Once you accept that, his posts are easier to understand.

He is a cool cat that just comes from a different era as the rest of you whippersnappers. Doesn't make him wrong.

Not saying he is wrong, just stating that the way he is choosing to communicate with the odd language/typing/grammer/whatever you wanna call it, hurts my brain and tends to make me skip over what he says cause of that. That wasn't meant to call him stupid or wrong or anything. Just trying to tell him that his communication is kinda shotty in hopes that he'll make attempts to make it more ledgable in the future. Better communication is always a good thing.

Luni
07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I have to agree that someone as "intelligent" as Jacob would choose to "communicate" the way he has.

(see what I did there?)

Murgatroy
07-31-2012, 11:03 PM
He "chooses" to communicate that way because it is the "only" way he can get his point across to the rest of us that just don't "get it."

klapa
08-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Certainly - all my detractors (and I REALLY wanted to use "" marks there) are correct.

My use of quotes is quite grammatically incorrect (I wanted to use "" marks there too) and everyone her is doing me a service to discourage my use of them - especially _.

I need to (I want use quote marks here, but will not) get better. Perhaps an all-inclusive - with the tiki bar complete my many women with large breasts is in order - as I have been working very long hours. Yup - that might be (and I want to use quote marks here) the ticket.

Aside from all that - I know the server move is difficult - and I also know that if it does not work out - then there is some time frame to make a new one.

I did not want to seem to be (I want to use quote marks here) a complainer - after all I have paid a total of maybe $100-$150 across the few years I have been here. What does that buy Luni? - maybe another month of hosting? Luni cannot pay for this place out of his own pocket. I would be willing to give another $50 this year - but I don't think you are getting anywhere close to a decent deal if you are paying more than say ~$50/MO for anything less than a dedicated server. <Maybe times have changed and I am out of sync.

I was just joking around in that other post - but I would say that I think BurnyDJr used his moderator powers unjustly in that particular case. I will not dwell on that - I know you are all working hard and while I was just joking on the weekend perhaps that struck the (I want use quotation marks here) wrong chord.

I know - Celicatech needs donations - and Celicatech SHOULD HAVE donations - and as I said before - I say again here - IMHO you should be able to get a DEDICATED SERVER for <= ~$100/Mo, depending on the traffic volume.

If you have a large volume - and it costs more - then you need to find a self-sustaining income model - else you should be able to get by with donations..

Luni
08-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Klapa, times have changed and youre out of sync.

For a server capable of being able to deal with the potential load of my userbase here, all of the concurrent database connections, etc, its a MINIMUM of 100 per month for dedicated in the states, and thats IF you can get a GOOD deal.

Most of the deals out there require you to pay for 1 year at a time at 100-120 a month which I cant afford to just drop 1000+ dollars at a time to run this place. The revenue from our ads dont come ANYWHERE close to paying for it. Just keep in mind that Ive been doing the whole "running an internet messageboard community" thing for the past 9 years. Ive moved servers 3 or 4 times now. Each time it has gotten more expensive.

Go google around and find a decent deal on dedicated server hosting that doesnt use an Intel Atom processor or have 2 gig of memory. I need at least a Xeon dual core and 4 gig of memory minimum. Keep in mind there are other sites and uses for this server on Borinals end as well. The thing has to be pretty damn stout to do all the crap its supposed to do. Shit isnt cheap man. It just isnt.

Borinal
08-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Also to be very mindful of the marketing traps. You're always paying extra for something wether it's memory, bandwidth, hdd, support (you don't get access to the Colo and some charge setup, and fees' for any and everything that they have to touch), etc... The deals that you do find loaded because they are either crappy hardware, not up front until you check out and the advertised price is only for 12-months at a time and is double for month-month or it's a start up company and you don't know if their service is going to suck or if they will be around in 6-months, or another thing I've seen is that they have half of a rack in the Colo with limited bandwidth and no amount of hardware in the world saves a saturated connection. There is a pretty good compromise in general service/hardware/connectivity/reliability but it's definitely like Luni mentioned in a different price point.

klapa
08-02-2012, 03:46 AM
All I know is that I have used Aplus.net (now Deluxe) for years and have very few problems for the last year or so since Deluxe took them over.

They host two domains for me - and provide DNS services for a third - while maintaining my continued registration for all three domains.

I will admit that these domains are primarily for email - both POP and IMAP - yet there is a fair amount of traffic - no connection problems since Deluxe took them over. The other thing I like about these people is that they have true 24/7 tech support - via phone or chat - and they always respond. They have a complete group in Bulgaria that covers the twilight hours here in the USA.

They have options for both Windows and UNIX servers - and dedicated servers too. As far as I know - there is no contract - at least I don't have one.

The most expensive plan they have (for canned plans) is $40/mo.

OK - maybe I am "out of sync" (quotes ARE indicated here!) - but I kind of doubt it. Bandwidth is plentiful these days - much more so than in the past. Both bandwidth and computers are cheaper now than they ever have been - and competition for hosting services is still healthy (at least in the USA). So I don't think there is any excuse that you are paying so much unless Celicatech is consuming multi-TERABYTES of bandwidth or there is some foible about vBulliten that requires a Cray level computer to serve it up.

Just my $0.02 - and I will shut-up now - much to the relief of BurneyDJr and possibly many others here as well.

klapa
08-02-2012, 04:06 AM
He "chooses" to communicate that way because it is the "only" way he can get his point across to the rest of us that just don't "get it."

LOL! That's good Murg!

Nah - the quotes are a bad thing for me - I def need to loose them, but I think you did hit on one possible reason I seem to use them so much.

I might disagree with BabyBear about the hyphens though - while some might be replaced with commas most if not all of them are grammatically correct.

Borinal
08-02-2012, 05:04 AM
This is your captain speaking... (sorry Capn')

Our server is in rack at the data center. I'm waiting word of migration expectations and ETA. Just so you all know there should be much less down time than before. But standard DNS propagation unfortunately will take place. When I know that it's started or when it will start I'll post an announcement and really anything between then and when it's finished may or may not make it over depending on how long it takes and how quickly DNS updates for everyone.

If this doesn't work better I blame ALL of YOU. That is all.

Borinal
08-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Well, I want to apologize Klapa. I snapped because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time on the wrong fucking soapbox. You're as stubborn as I am. :P Unfortunately this has been a thorn in my side for a long time now, I've invested a lot of my own time and money into keeping this place running. So have many of you, I won't forget that. But when your support dries up it's Luni and I that pick up the tab. That's besides the point really though. However, please trust that I've done my homework, I've shopped around and we've tried quite a few different solutions. I don't claim to be an expert and I don't do this day in and day out but I'm far from incompetent and I deal with this a lot in my job for services that are much huger and see many more impressions than our website. I'm not out to spend any more of my or the communities money than is necessary to keep this place going. I'm reluctant to take the $99 Pentium 4 and Atom specials that have less juice than your cellphone because I can't guarantee that those budget dedicated servers are going to be the solution. I'm done trying to make it work as cheap as possible. I am, however; certain that what we are setting up right now will be the end of the line for our needs. If we have the same issues it's not because of the machine, location, etc... I will give you that you are right regarding needs, this place doesn't use that much overall and should have been fine on our last provider and definitely on this one. But for various reasons unfortunately it has not been. The solution that we are implementing is the way that I know will get the job done and is the right way to approach any project that you are serious about.

Luni
08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Serious as a fucking heart attack.

CollapsedNut
08-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Im just gonna throw something in here while on topic of server prices, and the expense to run this site. Maybe we should open up the financial side of the site(im sure the higher ups see it) to the paying members like myself, so we can tell when the bank starts to dry up and all contribute.
Personaly I know I have not put as much in to this site as I have taken, and would be glad to help out when needed. I feel bad thinking that Luni has to take his personal money to keep us a place to hangout is the root of this, and he shouldn't have too, but I don't know when/how much money is needed.
Just a thought, may not be a good idea.

Luni
08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Oh its a good idea. The initial idea was to have lots of people do like a 5 dollar a year subscription. I mean, if 50 people did 5 dollars, thats 250 dollars a year. Just as an example.

Heres the deal. Unless someone donates a huge amount of money (IM NOT ASKING YOU TO), theres no amount of donations that are going to completely offset this place and put me in the black for expenses. So, what Im saying is admin@celicatech.com.

Send me as much money as you want. Anything helps, and its not like Im getting rich off it.

CollapsedNut
08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Maybe make a standard "Donate" button on the home page for easy use? I was unsure how to go about just sending money and not purchasing a subscription since I currently have one.

Also I think we need a more agressive marketing approach, I know it takes money to make money, but T-Shirts, stickers, key rings ect would sell even at a decent profit maragin.

Ima call you tonight and discuss something, maybe I can help with merchandise.

Luni
08-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I dont know if Ill be able to talk tonight.

Borinal
08-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Sexy Time

Facime
08-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I dont know if Ill be able to talk tonight.

Throat sore from havin a dick jammed in it all day?

BabyBear
08-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Throat sore from havin a dick jammed in it all day?

Ding ding ding! We have a weiner!

Luni
08-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice one hippie. You can go fuck yourself now :)

Borinal
08-04-2012, 12:00 AM
All day? I make him work nights.

klapa
08-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Well - I sent in my "annual donation" of $50 just now - it is a small price to pay for Luni to put up with me for another year :)

Aside from that - this place saves me WAY more money than that with the expert help and information I get to keep my cars on the road.

Everybody here needs to realize - just a little bit of $$$ from many people would help to defray the costs of keeping this place up and running.

underscore
08-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Well - I sent in my "annual donation" of $50 just now - it is a small price to pay for Luni to put up with me for another year :)

:toung:

Aside from that - this place saves me WAY more money than that with the expert help and information I get to keep my cars on the road.

The amount of time and money I've saved by taking things out correctly, not breaking things and ordering the right parts thanks to CelicaTech and a few other forums has been HUGE.

Everybody here needs to realize - just a little bit of $$$ from many people would help to defray the costs of keeping this place up and running.

Not to mention the perks, the upsized inbox is awesome, and the boobies in the NSFW forum are great!

Borinal
08-04-2012, 05:35 PM

It's true and thanks for your support. I'm very happy so far with the move. It's a night and day difference for me so far.

klapa
08-04-2012, 05:39 PM
:toung:
Not to mention the perks, the boobies in the NSFW forum are great!

WOW! I think I have been missing out here! (even if I did edit your quote somewhat _)

Borinal
08-04-2012, 05:43 PM
WOW! I think I have been missing out here!

That's what I was just thinking.

Facime
08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
night and day difference is for sure. Thanks for your hard work guys

klapa
08-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Maybe make a standard "Donate" button on the home page for easy use? I was unsure how to go about just sending money and not purchasing a subscription since I currently have one.

Also I think we need a more agressive marketing approach, I know it takes money to make money, but T-Shirts, stickers, key rings ect would sell even at a decent profit maragin.

That all sounds like good ideas to me - T-shirts, stickers etc. would be another good way to drum up some kind of income to help pay for the place.

And it is not just the hosting expense - it is also the hours put in by the code warriors and the moderators.

I will also add - that it was a bit of a pain to simply donate - I just had to sign up for another subscription - that seems to be the only way to donate. That process should be made easier - as CollapsedNut alluded to.

Interest in these cars is waning - there will be less people here as time goes by - best to find as many "niche models" for income as possible to keep the place going - as obviously Luni cannot just continue to pay for it out of his own pocket forever.

Borinal
08-05-2012, 02:03 AM
We could open it up to Scions? :loco:

underscore
08-07-2012, 05:07 PM
We're not *that* desperate, are we?