PDA

View Full Version : Really hard shifting

jdm_celica_gts
07-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Everytime I shift my st185 its really rough, not because of a bad shift or anything like that. It's hard enough to jolt you back into your seat... the only way to prevent it sometimes is to ride the clutch really bad. The clutch seems pretty new, super stiff and doesn't slip in any gear
What could be the problem?
Bad mounts?

dontsurf
07-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Something I've learned: the diaphragm on new ST185 clutches does this. Whether intentionally or unintentionally installed, I have a clutch for an ST185 in my ST183, and I have the same issue - the clutch engages and disengages that last few mm really harshly. If you're not really careful with the throttle/clutch balance, it throws you forward really quickly - with a jolt. With the extra power, I can imagine it might be worse on the 185.

alltracman78
07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
I've never really had a clutch problem like that on any of my 185s. :shrug:
Are you sure your foot timing isn't off? Sounds to me like your clutch release/throttle engage isn't going smoothly.

jdm_celica_gts
07-05-2012, 12:36 AM
I've tried messing around with my foot timing and its still a little harsh 1st, 4th, and 5th gear are not bad. just 2nd and 3rd, it also grinds a little in those gears, might have something to do with it.

In my gts even if my foot timing is way off its still not as bad as this.